100 Watts or 500 Watts

Frank MacDonell
I own a K3/10 with ATU and would like to upgrade power. The question
is do I go with the 100w PA option or wait for the KPA500. Any and all
comments are most welcome. Thanks in advance and Merry Christmas to
all.

--
Frank KD8FIP

Re: 100 Watts or 500 Watts

Don Wilhelm-4
  Frank,

If you think you want 500 watts out, you will have to install the KPA3
(100 watts) anyway.  The K3/10 will not be able to drive the KPA500 to
full output - you may be able to get somewhere betwen 200 and 300 watts
out of it.

On 12/20/2010 1:39 PM, Frank MacDonell wrote:
> I own a K3/10 with ATU and would like to upgrade power. The question
> is do I go with the 100w PA option or wait for the KPA500. Any and all
> comments are most welcome. Thanks in advance and Merry Christmas to
> all.

Re: 100 Watts or 500 Watts

Able2fly

Why wouldn't Elecraft design the KPA500 to be driven to its rated output by a K3/10 ?

Bill  K3UJ

If you think you want 500 watts out, you will have to install the KPA3
100 watts) anyway.  The K3/10 will not be able to drive the KPA500 to
ull output - you may be able to get somewhere betwen 200 and 300 watts
ut of it.
73,
on W3FPR

Re: 100 Watts or 500 Watts

Don Wilhelm-4
  Bill,

It is not an Elecraft choice.
While you could do that as an individual, commercial products (sold in
the US) must meet the FCC requirement of a 15 dB maximum gain   That
limits the maximum power gain to a factor of 31.62 - 10 watts in gives
316.2 watts (at the most) output.

On 12/20/2010 3:23 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Why wouldn't Elecraft design the KPA500 to be driven to its rated output by a K3/10 ?
>
> Bill  K3UJ

Re: 100 Watts or 500 Watts

Rick Dettinger-3
But going directly from the K3/10 to the KPA500 might be a good way
for those unhappy with the SSB transmit quality of the KPA3 to get a
very clean signal since the KPA500 uses 70 volt devices for the final
amplifiers.  Plus a 3 db. gain over the KPA3.  At a cost, of course.

73,
Rick Dettinger   K7MW

>  Frank,
>
> If you think you want 500 watts out, you will have to install the KPA3
> (100 watts) anyway.  The K3/10 will not be able to drive the KPA500 to
> full output - you may be able to get somewhere betwen 200 and 300
> watts
> out of it.
>
> 73,
> Don W3FPR

Re: 100 Watts or 500 Watts

Rick Dettinger-3
Not legal in the United States.  15 db gain is the max allowed.  The
hams get punished for the illegal activity of others.

73,

Rick Dettinger   K7MW

> Why wouldn't Elecraft design the KPA500 to be driven to its rated
> output by a K3/10 ?
>
> Bill  K3UJ

Re: 100 Watts or 500 Watts

ab2tc
Hi,

Not so sure. That would require the 12W (pre)amp in the K3 to run full tilt. I seem to remember from the QST review of the K3/10 that it wasn't super clean at full power either. It's well known that both these amps get significantly cleaner when run at 50% or less which is what they would do driving the KPA500 to full power.

AB2TC - Knut

Rick Dettinger-3 wrote
But going directly from the K3/10 to the KPA500 might be a good way
for those unhappy with the SSB transmit quality of the KPA3 to get a
very clean signal since the KPA500 uses 70 volt devices for the final
amplifiers.  Plus a 3 db. gain over the KPA3.  At a cost, of course.

73,
Rick Dettinger   K7MW

<snip>

Re: 100 Watts or 500 Watts

Dale Parfitt-3

Hi Don,
I use my SPE Expert 1K-FA with my barefoot K3. I get around 900Wout on HF
and about 500W on 6M. It's a great combination as the K3 talks to the SPE
and everything is transparent including the SPE's built in autotuner.
The SPE display reports over 18dB gain. It has been type accepted and sold
by SteppIR.

Dale W4OP

>  Bill,
>
> It is not an Elecraft choice.
> While you could do that as an individual, commercial products (sold in
> the US) must meet the FCC requirement of a 15 dB maximum gain   That
> limits the maximum power gain to a factor of 31.62 - 10 watts in gives
> 316.2 watts (at the most) output.
>
> 73,
> Don W3FPR

>> Why wouldn't Elecraft design the KPA500 to be driven to its rated output
>> by a K3/10 ?
>>
>> Bill  K3UJ

02:34:00

Re: 100 Watts or 500 Watts

Don Wilhelm-4
  Dale,

I am not going to question the legality of the 18 dB gain you are
getting on that SPE nor what the SPE documents filed with the FCC say
about the maximum gain - Mu understanding is only that the FCC says 15
dB is the maximum, and I expect Elecraft will comply with that.  What
other companies do is not a concern of mine - I am not in any
enforcement role.

On 12/20/2010 3:49 PM, Dale Parfitt wrote:
> Hi Don,
> I use my SPE Expert 1K-FA with my barefoot K3. I get around 900Wout on HF
> and about 500W on 6M. It's a great combination as the K3 talks to the SPE
> and everything is transparent including the SPE's built in autotuner.
> The SPE display reports over 18dB gain. It has been type accepted and sold
> by SteppIR.

Re: 100 Watts or 500 Watts

Byron N6NUL
>From my copy of the ARRL FCC Rules and Regulations for the Amateur
Radio Service, parts 97 and 47 of the Cod of Federal Regulations,
2007:

97.317 Standards for certification of external RF power amplifiers
(a) To receive a grant of certification, the amplifier must:

(2) Not be capable of amplifying the input RF power (driving signal)
by more than 15 dB gain. Gain is defined as the ratio of the input RF
power to the output RF power of the amplifier where both power
measurements are expressed in peak envelope power or mean power.

73, Byron N6NUL

On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 1:20 PM, Don Wilhelm <[hidden email]> wrote:
> My understanding is only that the FCC says 15
> dB is the maximum, and I expect Elecraft will comply with that.
--
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2011 Cal QSO Party 1-2 Oct 2011

Re: 100 Watts or 500 Watts

k.igor
Is there any technical merit behind FCC's 15dB amp gain limitation? I saw
commercial RF amplifiers with gains up to 30dB, obviously approved by FCC. I
could understand the limitation for tube amplifiers, the characteristics of
some amp tubes would make high gain unstable. But for solid state amplifiers
the limitation looks strange to say the least. Maybe it's time to ask FCC to
reconsider this. Any ARRL lawyers out there?
73,
Igor, N1YX

While you could do that as an individual, commercial products (sold in
the US) must meet the FCC requirement of a 15 dB maximum gain   That
limits the maximum power gain to a factor of 31.62 - 10 watts in gives
316.2 watts (at the most) output.

On 12/20/2010 3:23 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
> Why wouldn't Elecraft design the KPA500 to be driven to its rated output
by a K3/10 ?

> Bill  K3UJ

Re: 100 Watts or 500 Watts

Dave KQ3T
Igor,

I think, at least in part, the regulation is intended to make amateur
amplifiers less attractive to users of the Citizen's Radio Service.

Rather than being able to go from 5W to 1000+W with a single, relatively
inexpensive amp, an amp to get from 5W to ~100W is needed in order to
drive the KW amp.. And except for Elecraft, I'm not aware of any other
5->100W amplifiers.

73,
Dave KQ3T

On 12/22/2010 1:29 AM, Igor Kosvin wrote:
> Is there any technical merit behind FCC's 15dB amp gain limitation? I saw
> commercial RF amplifiers with gains up to 30dB, obviously approved by FCC. I
> could understand the limitation for tube amplifiers, the characteristics of
> some amp tubes would make high gain unstable. But for solid state amplifiers
> the limitation looks strange to say the least. Maybe it's time to ask FCC to
> reconsider this. Any ARRL lawyers out there?
> 73,
> Igor, N1YX

Re: 100 Watts or 500 Watts

AC7AC
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: 100 Watts or 500 Watts

Vic K2VCO
I just finished building a grid-driven amplifier using two 813 tubes. With a 3 db
attenuator at the input, it requires between 16 and 40 watts of drive on 160 through 10
meters respectively, for 800 watts output (only 700 on 10). Without the attenuator, it
would need 8 - 20 watts drive.

And this is a class-C amplifier designed for CW only! If it were a class B or AB linear,
the drive requirement would be even lower.

Grounded-grid is not the only way to design a tube amplifier. Although a traditional
grid-driven circuit is a little more complicated, it's one way to get more gain.

I am going to put some pictures and schematics on my web site soon, not that I think
anyone will want to duplicate it!

--
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA

Re: 100 Watts or 500 Watts

Dale Parfitt-3
Hi Vic,
Dave Ishmael has a single 813 amplifeir in this month's Electric Radio.
Please do  publish your amp for all of us to look at. I still have an 813
and socket I have had since I was a kid- maybe it's time to build an amp for
my Atlas 350XL.

Dale W4OP
>I just finished building a grid-driven amplifier using two 813 tubes. With
>a 3 db
> attenuator at the input, it requires between 16 and 40 watts of drive on
> 160 through 10
> meters respectively, for 800 watts output (only 700 on 10). Without the
> attenuator, it
> would need 8 - 20 watts drive.
>
> And this is a class-C amplifier designed for CW only! If it were a class B
> or AB linear,
> the drive requirement would be even lower.
>
> Grounded-grid is not the only way to design a tube amplifier. Although a
> traditional
> grid-driven circuit is a little more complicated, it's one way to get more
> gain.
>
> I am going to put some pictures and schematics on my web site soon, not
> that I think
> anyone will want to duplicate it!
>
> On 12/22/2010 7:50 AM, Ron D'Eau Claire wrote:
>> Even the Elecraft 100 watt amps are integrated with either the K2 or K3
>> control logic so they cannot be used as a stand-alone amplifier with
>> other
>> transmitters.
>>
>> The only reason I have ever seen from the FCC for the amplifier
>> certification and 15 dB gain limitation is to discourage the CB
>> 'bootleggers'. Certainly building a stable, clean amplifier that would
>> take
>> even a few milliwatts to 1000+ watts is a straightforward design
>> exercise.
>> There's no real problem with using more than one stage of gain if there
>> was
>> no 15 dB limit on the system gain.
>>
>> Ron AC7AC
>
> --
> Vic, K2VCO
> Fresno CA
> http://www.qsl.net/k2vco/

02:34:00

Re: 100 Watts or 500 Watts

John Ragle
On 12/22/2010 11:30 AM, a lister wrote:

Grounded-grid is not the only way to design a tube amplifier. Although a
traditional grid-driven circuit is a little more complicated, it's one way to get more gain.

Amen to that. When I was little, "grounded grid" was vaunted as the way to use triodes without needing neutralization, even though one took a real hit on gain. Unfortunately, the old-time big amps that use/used several triodes in parallel in grounded grid still have a tendency to "take off."

The 813 and the various Eimac ceramic tetrodes are wonderful tubes, and if one can go high voltage low current, they are excellent performers. Again, when I was young, solid state devices wouldn't function in the VHF/UHF region, and the 4CXnnn series were practically a necessity. Need I refer to the beautiful amps vended by one of the early moonbounce guys?

I for one would like to see designs using these tubes. Not all of us need linear/linearized amps.

John Ragle -- W1ZI

Re: 100 Watts or 500 Watts

Vic K2VCO
For linear purposes, 813's work in grounded grid with the screen tied to the control grid
and grounded. You can also make a class AB1 amplifier with a 'grid circuit' consisting of
a big 50-ohm dummy load. And then there is the G2DAF circuit, in which the screen voltage
is derived fom the drive -- but I only recommend this one for SSB if you have a means for
checking IMD; it may require some careful adjustment.

I'll put up the report on my amp soon. I need to redraw the schematics which are a
horrible mess at present.

On 12/22/2010 8:30 AM, Dale Parfitt wrote:

> Hi Vic,
> Dave Ishmael has a single 813 amplifeir in this month's Electric Radio. Please do publish
> your amp for all of us to look at. I still have an 813 and socket I have had since I was a
> kid- maybe it's time to build an amp for my Atlas 350XL.
>
> Dale W4OP
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Vic K2VCO" <[hidden email]>

Vic

Re: 100 Watts or 500 Watts

AC7AC
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: 100 Watts or 500 Watts

Tony Estep
On Wed, Dec 22, 2010 at 10:45 AM, John Ragle <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 12/22/2010 11:30 AM, a lister wrote:
>
> ...When I was little, "grounded grid" was vaunted as the way to use triodes
> without needing neutralization...

Yep. Remember the bifilar filament chokes? You could go to the ham store,
get one of those, a cool litz-wound plate choke, and a bandswitching tank
coil, and the variables you needed for a pi-network output, and build a heck
of an amp.

Another way was the NCL-2000 way, wherein the input circuit was just a 50
ohm resistor and the amp ran in class AB1, using 8122 ceramic tubes.  IIRC,
about 50 watts of drive was enough. An amp designed that way could use a
higher value resistor, show the transceiver a mismatch, and get by with less
drive. If you used a 200 ohm resistor and a 4:1 balun, you could probably
drive such an amp to the max with 10-15 watts, no step-up stage required.

Tony KT0NY

Re: 100 Watts or 500 Watts

Vic K2VCO
My approach to the harmonic problem is to use a link-coupled antenna tuner on 80-30 meters
(Johnson Matchbox), and a homebrew parallel tuned circuit on 160. On the higher bands, the
simple pi network should be adequate to keep the harmonics down. You could use a pi-L
configuration on the low bands if you wish.

A bigger problem with class-C is how to keep the high bias from sharpening up the
beautiful K3 keying and producing clicks. My approach is to have the QSK circuit drop the
bias below cutoff when the amplifier is keyed, so that the amplifier is initially
operating in the linear part of the curve. There is a resistor in the grid circuit which
supplies the remainder of the class-C bias from rectified grid current. But that bias
rises along with the drive. The bypass capacitor and this resistor form a filter which
keeps the transition to full power clean.

--
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA