120 vs 240

Edward R Cole
Having recently run 245 vac to my "shack", I can say the HVPS runs
well.  Key down at 1400w on my 2m-8877 and the line voltage drops 5v
(240 vs 245).  I guess that is pretty good.  I ran 40amp wiring
(35-feet of #8awg 4-cond) and split out two 120vac 20A ckts to run
some of the other ham equipment so that I am not loading the three
outlets in the room so heavily.

The room outlets run the computer stuff, rotators, lights, test
equipment and workbench supplies.  The 12v-50A, 28v-25A, and 8877 PS
are run on the 245 vac ckt.

It cost me about $300 for materials.  I had to buy 100-feet of wire
so that ran it up more than what I needed.  But I made a emergency
gen. 240v ext.cord out some of that.  We have a 6500w Honda standby
generator that powers the whole house.  I could even run QRO on the gen.

73, Ed - KL7UW

-------------------------------
The quality of the 120V run makes a big difference.  For example, if it's a
15A branch circuit feeding multiple outlets across several rooms -- and if
wiring is formed with pressure-contact receptacles, -- and the receptacle
you need is on the end of the string, don't count on a stiff supply.

By contrast, if a dedicated 20A branch circuit is run only to the shack,
uses clamp terminals, and the feed is shared between the amp and a few
low-current devices, then output power should be more predictable with
minimal voltage sag at the 500W level.

Anyone considering a new 120V circuit to the shack to avoid these problems
(in my case it was dimming lights) may want to consider pulling a companion
4-wire 240V circuit to handle all commercial amps, new and old.

Paul, W9AC

73, Ed - KL7UW, WD2XSH/45

Re: 120 vs 240

Bill K9YEQ
I feel very fortunate.... My 240 panel is within 20' of the shack.  I wired
it myself and I think I spent <$75 for all the hardware.

Bill
K9YEQ