144 MHz Xvtr

K8RS
Gurus,
           I am beginning the Alignment Procedure Part I on the 144 MHz transverter and getting a strange reading at TP1 when conducting the test on the local oscillator ( page 59).  The voltage seems to be varying between 0.002 and 1.642 vdc.  The oscillator seems to be  going in and out of oscillation.  The crystal is in a crystal oven and the jumper on JP9 is on pins 4-5.
           What would be causing this?  A  failed crystal? A  part in the oscillator circuit?  Will it settle down when I tune the inductors?  Clearly, I need some help and suggestions.
              Thanks,
                           Roger K8RS K2/100 #3478