160 & 80m

GW4DVB
Is it my imagination or is the KX3 a tad insensitive on 160 & 80m?

Signals that are 59+ on other rigs are barely hitting a S7!!

Any ideas?

GW4DVB

Re: 160 & 80m

Steve KC8QVO
I would be curious what the signal to noise ratio and readability is of the signals, forget what the meter tells you. Does the meter show that a signal goes to 7 S-units?

Take the meter out of the equation and listen to the signals. Try to find a signal that is barely readable on one rig or the other and see how they compare.

I have not done the above experiment with my KX3 yet but I had a buddy's KX1 here a while back and I did that very experiment. Not only did I find that I could hear better on the KX1, I found that signals that the KX1 could hear my TS-2000 was no where close to hearing. My thinking is that the noise floor was that much lower on the KX1 and it had better selectivity than my TS-2000 does (quad-conversion vs. essentially direct conversion).

Again, take the meter out of the equation and go off the readability of the signals.

Steve, KC8QVO

Re: 160 & 80m

Ignacy
QST review reported lower numbers on the lower bands, and the yahoo KX3 group contains mods for 80 and 160m. It seems that the mods are for HPF filters so it is possible that the current components cause an attenuation.

Usually sensitivity on 160m is not a problem unless one uses a receive antenna.

Ignacy, NO9E

Re: 160 & 80m

wayne burdick
Should be very similar on all bands. But if it would be lower if you
had MENU:PREAMP set to 10 dB on a particular band. The default is 20
dB, which results in S9 = 50 microvolts (approx.).

73,
Wayne
N6KR

On Nov 11, 2012, at 6:12 AM, GW4DVB wrote:

> Is it my imagination or is the KX3 a tad insensitive on 160 & 80m?
>
> Signals that are 59+ on other rigs are barely hitting a S7!!
>
> Any ideas?
>
> GW4DVB

WG: 160 & 80m

Helmut OE1MHL
Hi, had a look on my KX3 (SN 0671)!
As a Signal Source I used the  "XG3 -73dBm (50uV)"
MENU: PREAMP set to 20dB on all Bands.
Measured on 3520Khz  S-Meter Reading "S5" >>>3650Khz " S5" hmmm??
This is similar on all Bands...

73!
Helmut, OE1MHL

Should be very similar on all bands. But if it would be lower if you had
MENU:PREAMP set to 10 dB on a particular band. The default is 20 dB, which
results in S9 = 50 microvolts (approx.).

73,
Wayne
N6KR

On Nov 11, 2012, at 6:12 AM, GW4DVB wrote:

> Is it my imagination or is the KX3 a tad insensitive on 160 & 80m?
>
> Signals that are 59+ on other rigs are barely hitting a S7!!
>
> Any ideas?
>
> GW4DVB

> list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html

Re: WG: 160 & 80m

ke9uw
Just checked mine with the SG2  set to 50 uV on 20, 40, 80 M and it's S9 with the preamp
and S5-6 with the preamp off.

You have no preamp even tho it shows PRE in the display maybe?

Chuck, KE9UW
Lionel Trains, TCA, LCCA, LRRC
aka Jack, BMW Motorcycles BMWMOA #224