2 k2

Bob Evans-4
David,

I've been an SO2R operator for several years with a pair of IC-765s and
completely agree with other's SO2R sentiments.  I sold those 765s with the
idea of replacing them with the much better receiver specs in 2 K2/100s.  I
just built my first K2 (#4687) and gave it a good work out in the 160M
contest this past weekend (475 Qs and 62 Mults).  I WILL be getting another
one in the next few months to complete my SO2R station.  Once you get used
to hearing one band in your left ear and another band in your right ear, the
SO2R concept is that you can effectively increase your score by calling CQ
on one band while "hunting and pouncing" on a second band.  You can be your
own multiplier or added QSO hunter.

I have another idea that may be possible with 2 K2s; diversity reception and
panoramic reception.  Admittedly, both of these concepts caught my interest
in the TenTec Orion, but you can buy 2 K2s and still have enough change left
over for a weekend vacation.  I really am fascinated by these Orion features
and I think it might be possible to achieve with 2 K2s, however, I am not
technically competent enough to go much farther than concept with this idea.
My understanding is that the PLLs would need to be exactly synced or both
rigs would need to run off a single PLL before either of these could be
correctly implemented.  Maybe someone technically oriented has a thought on
this.

Bob K5WA