2009 ARRL Southwest Convention/Hamfest, Santa Barbara, 2009

2009 ARRL Southwest Convention/Hamfest, Santa Barbara, 2009

wayne burdick
Administrator
In case you haven't heard, the ARRL Southwest Convention is to be held
in Santa Barbara this year. For details, see:

   http://www.sbarc.org/

Elecraft will be there in force, including myself, Eric, WA6HHQ, and
some of our engineering team. It should be a great opportunity to meet
old and new friends -- and perhaps see something new.

Santa Barbara is a beautiful place. I lived there for a couple of
years and have some great memories of outings to the surrounding
mountains and backcountry. There's a road (West Camino Cielo) that
takes you to 4000' La Cumbre Peak, which provides an awesome view of
Santa Barbara and the ocean. I'm planning to spend an extra day there
so I can slip in some portable HF/6m operation.

The Santa Barbara ARC is working hard to put on this event, and we're
hoping they have an excellent turnout. If you'd like to help out at
the Elecraft booth, email Lisa (lisa at elecraft dot com).

73,
Wayne
N6KR

Re: 2009 ARRL Southwest Convention/Hamfest, Santa Barbara, 2009

Don Ehrlich
Something NEW huh?   Hmmmmm ....

> It should be a great opportunity to meet
> old and new friends -- and perhaps see something new.

Re: 2009 ARRL Southwest Convention/Hamfest, Santa Barbara, 2009

W5CEM
Let me tell you, helping the ELECRAFT folks out at their booth is a blast.  Eric gave a presentation on the development of the K3 at HAMCOM in Plano earlier this summer.  So while he was occupied I helped at the booth, handing out info, demoing the K3 and K2 and generally answering what questions I could about the radios.  Us owners are an enthusiastic bunch, so talking to other hams about the Elecraft products was a good thing.

Wish I could get to Santa Barbara.

cleve/W5CEM

K3 - computer communications

Phil and Christina
I use Logic 8 as a logging program, and it has communicated fine over a
serial port with my K3 (s/n 1826).  Today a windstorm dropped a tree across
a power line, and the power surged on and off several times before going off
completely.  The computer is a Dell laptop in a docking station.  The
computer is powered through a UPS.  My K3 is powered by a stout Astron
RS-35M linear supply (that is not on the UPS).

I don't know if there is a causal agent at work, but now I have
communications issues.  If I turn the radio on and launch Logic 8, the
computer and radio seem to communicate OK at first.  Then after maybe 5 to
10 minutes, the computer puts up a message that the link has been lost and
the communications stops (no frequency updating, etc.).  If I close and
reopen Logic 8, they communicate for a bit before the message comes back.

Any suggestions?  Thank you.

73,

Phil, NS7P

Re: K3 - computer communications

DAVID M. Elliott
While admittedly draconian, my solution to this problem was to dump
Logic 8 and its PC platform and use MacLoggerDX on a Mac.  No further
problems.

73 de W6BK

On Oct 14, 2009, at 5:16 PM, Phil and Christina wrote:

> I use Logic 8 as a logging program, and it has communicated fine
> over a
> serial port with my K3 (s/n 1826).  Today a windstorm dropped a tree
> across
> a power line, and the power surged on and off several times before
> going off
> completely.  The computer is a Dell laptop in a docking station.  The
> computer is powered through a UPS.  My K3 is powered by a stout Astron
> RS-35M linear supply (that is not on the UPS).
>
> I don't know if there is a causal agent at work, but now I have
> communications issues.  If I turn the radio on and launch Logic 8, the
> computer and radio seem to communicate OK at first.  Then after
> maybe 5 to
> 10 minutes, the computer puts up a message that the link has been
> lost and
> the communications stops (no frequency updating, etc.).  If I close
> and
> reopen Logic 8, they communicate for a bit before the message comes
> back.
>
> Any suggestions?  Thank you.
>
> 73,
>
> Phil, NS7P

Re: K3 - computer communications

Phil and Christina
Thank you to those who answered with suggestions.  As I was fooling around
with it trying to understand where the problem was coming from, Logic 8 had
a terminal error and shut down.  Restarting the application after an
unnormal close, caused the program to reinitialize and rebuild the database.
After that took place, I have run the K3 and computer for a day without
errors.  It appears to have "fixed itself".  The tree is one of thousands
here and will not be missed.  Thanks again,

73,

Phil, NS7P

Re: K3 - computer communications

John Lonigro
Phil:
The easiest way to check things out is by substitution.  First try a
different computer, preferably one with a built-in serial port.  Do you
have a spare one that wasn't affected by the event?  If not,do you have
a friend with a laptop (and a USB-serial adapter) who wouldn't mind
having Logic 8 installed temporarily as a test?  Do you have another
radio (not necessarily a K-3) that you can check with  your current
computer?  It seems to me it might be possible to substitute all 3
components (radio, computer, USB-serial adapter) one at a time and come
up with the answer.  If Logic 8 worked with no problems before, I doubt
the software is the issue, but you could also try different logging
software as well.
Hope this helps.

John AA0VE

Phil and Christina wrote:

> I use Logic 8 as a logging program, and it has communicated fine over a
> serial port with my K3 (s/n 1826).  Today a windstorm dropped a tree across
> a power line, and the power surged on and off several times before going off
> completely.  The computer is a Dell laptop in a docking station.  The
> computer is powered through a UPS.  My K3 is powered by a stout Astron
> RS-35M linear supply (that is not on the UPS).
>
> I don't know if there is a causal agent at work, but now I have
> communications issues.  If I turn the radio on and launch Logic 8, the
> computer and radio seem to communicate OK at first.  Then after maybe 5 to
> 10 minutes, the computer puts up a message that the link has been lost and
> the communications stops (no frequency updating, etc.).  If I close and
> reopen Logic 8, they communicate for a bit before the message comes back.
>
> Any suggestions?  Thank you.
>
> 73,
>
> Phil, NS7P

Re: 2009 ARRL Southwest Convention/Hamfest, Santa Barbara, 2009

Julian, G4ILO

W5CEM wrote
Wish I could get to Santa Barbara.
Me, too. I like mountains and back country. :)
Julian, G4ILO. K2 #392  K3 #222 KX3 #110
* G4ILO's Shack - http://www.g4ilo.com
* KComm - http://www.g4ilo.com/kcomm.html
* KTune - http://www.g4ilo.com/ktune.html

Re: 2009 ARRL Southwest Convention/Hamfest, Santa Barbara, 2009

Julian, G4ILO

Julian, G4ILO wrote
Me, too. I like mountains and back country. :)
Oops! For some reason, Nabble added new comments to this old thread, and I thought it was a new thread. Sorry!!