34472 another KAT2 question

Jerry Deibel
First thanks to all you replied on my last problem, found out that R6 is installed very near the end.

Now my other question, on page 12, it says to place the "lock washers between the standoff and the pC board, NOT between the PC baord and screws as on the control board."            ,  BUT on page 6 the diagram has the lock washer between the pc board AND standoff for the control board.

Is this a mistake in the manual , I placed the lockwasher on the L-C board between the board and screw.

jerry   , N2UZ
[hidden email]
2004-11-24

Re: 34472 another KAT2 question

Mike S-8
At 05:47 PM 11/24/2004, jerry wrote...
>Now my other question, on page 12, it says to place the "lock washers between the standoff and the pC board, NOT between the PC baord and screws as on the control board."            ,  BUT on page 6 the diagram has the lock washer between the pc board AND standoff for the control board.
>
>Is this a mistake in the manual , I placed the lockwasher on the L-C board between the board and screw.

Yes, the instructions are ambiguous.

Just do it so no parts get compressed when assembling the two boards together. The spacing instructions are supposed to ensure that there's enough clearance for components (the BNC connectors, AIR). The actual spacing doesn't really matter.

Re: 34472 another KAT2 question

Jerry,

Not to worry, it will work fine either way.
History lesson -- during the KAT2 Field Test we found a few units (not all)
that had the BNC jacks a bit taller than they are now, and they interfered
when the boards were mated.  The immediate solution was to use 2 lockwashers
in addition to the standoffs to space the boards a bit further apart.  I am
going to assume that the diagram was created to show those 2 lockwashers in
place and has not yet been changed.  The height of the BNC connectors is no
longer a problem and one lockwasher and one spacer provides sufficient
clearance (it might even be OK with no lockwasher (only the spacer) between
the boards).

BTW, yes my KAT2 was one of those with the problem, so I remember it well -
I shaved some of the material off the BNC jacks to make things fit, and
later the 2 lockwasher solution was created.