# 4472 SSB carrier balance question

Jerry Deibel
It's been a chore getting the SSB kit to work,  first the low gain which was a bad solder joint near RFC1 and now I have a question on the carrier balance  adjustment.

Doing the coarse adjustment I get a full indication on the S-meter when I set the SSBA param to BAL.  Adjusting R1 has no effect on the K2's S-meter.(only when the pot is all the way to either side)

However,  the fine carrier balance adjustment is ok.  I can hear the carrier on my MP and can adjust R1 to give me a null both on lsb and usb.

Listening to my voice on the MP's headphone and it sounds ok.

Also, I did not understand what the 5th paragraph in the fine carrier balance adjustment is saying.   I just put a wire from the MP's input around the K2's speaker cable and was able to hear the carrier  and see an indication on the MP's S-meter .  Then I adjusted R1 until no S-meter indication and then I could barely hear the tone and I just zero beated it ( switching between lsb and usb on the K2)   The K2 read  7019.8 and the MP at 7020.1.    R1 is just a little to the right of center like the book says at the null.

Do I have a problem since the coarse adjustment gave no reduction on the K2's s-meter or is everything OK  since I was able to do the  fine adjustment?

Best regards.

jerry
[hidden email]
2004-12-09