#4472 ssb mod problem

Jerry Deibel
Last week I installed the ssb kit and now my audio out is low.   I am switching back and forth between my Yaesu MP for a reference.
Using Spectorgram  with the K2 in CW mode,  with the  filter Fl1  I get a reading about -45 db on the display  and about -58 db on the other filters fl2, fl3 and fl4.    The gain on the sound board is pegged as far as it can go to get those readings.    The Yaesu shows a good display.
Also,  there does not seem to me any change in bandwidth between    fl2 fl3 and fl4.

 In LSB , spectrogram displays abt -30 db for FL1 and -55 for fl2 and fl3.

Another thing is that i just connected the  XG1 and the 50uvolt output is not even moving the S meter.  Is was working before the ssb kit.

Question ,  what is the best way to disable the ssb module?  Just adding the W2 and W3 jumper and reinstalling the cap at c167 and removing the module?

Also,  Why do you set up the FL1 filter in cw mode for OP1,  the only referecne to that is on page 20 of the ssb manual.   I just dont understand the filter setup and the bfo settings.

 Jerry, N2UZ`

Re: #4472 ssb mod problem

Don Wilhelm-3
Jerry,

That kind of attenuation is not normal - you have something incorrect.

Look carefully at all the parts shown in the upper half of the schematic in
the SSB manual (showing the filter and the switching diodes).  Check them
all for proper values, make certain the banded end of the diodes are all
mounted upward, and check the soldering, then check soldering, and re-check
it again.  You did remember to solder all 3 pins of the 3 pin connectors
after properly aligning them did you not.
The last thing to check is the number of turns on the transformers - look at
the number of wires going through the inside of the core.

If you remove the KSB2 (to verify that CW still works) and only want to
receive, you only need to put jumpers between pins 1 and 3 of both headers
(bend component leads do fine for that).  If you also want to transmit, you
will have to put C167 back in the circuit - or you can just put the leads of
a .001 uf capacitor between pins 7 and 12 of J11.

The setting of the CW FL1 to the OP1 filter is only a suggestion - you may
chose to do that if you desire a really wide (but flat passband) for CW
work - that is not a requirement.  The variable filter gets a bit ragged in
the passband at widths much over 1.0 kHz.