9M6XRO with my K2/10

Bernie KF0QS
Today, there was a pileup on 9M6XRO (East Malaysia) on 10 meters.  Using my K2 at 5 watts (my antenna was a Cushcraft A3S at about 24 ft in elevation) I got through the pileup on about my third call.  What a surprise!

It's the first time I've broken through a pileup on QRP.  What fun!!

Thanks for reading.

73 de Bernie, KF0QS

Re: 9M6XRO with my K2/10

Bruce & Gab
Very cool.  Never ran QRP, but I have never run over 100 w; for antennas, I
have never had anything but a vertical or wire antenna.  It is a great
feeling bust'n a pile-up when you're a "little pistol."

Just got my K3 a couple of weeks ago after being QRT for about 4 years; the
rig is an absolute joy!  For an antenna I run an Inverted-L 120 ft long, up
30 ft at each end.

Making up for lost time; busted S01WS pile-up yesterday and J28NC this
morning.  Two new ones for me.

73 de Bruce, N7TY
White Plains, MD

Today, there was a pileup on 9M6XRO (East Malaysia) on 10 meters.  Using my
K2 at 5 watts (my antenna was a Cushcraft A3S at about 24 ft in elevation) I
got through the pileup on about my third call.  What a surprise!

It's the first time I've broken through a pileup on QRP.  What fun!!

Thanks for reading.

73 de Bernie, KF0QS

delivered to [hidden email]

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: 9M6XRO with my K2/10

Jim Allen
Congratulations!  It is very exhilarating, isn't it?

QRP DXing isn't always easy, or successful, of course.  I've been running QRP mostly for the last year, with a rather modest dipole at ~32' for an antenna.  Every once in awhile, you get through on one or two, or a few calls.  Sometimes you get through but after waiting your turn.  Sometimes the pile up is so fierce you never get through before you give up and take your business elsewhere, or he does.  But, if the DX has a decent signal here, and the pile is not too large, you can usually get in there, with patience

From what I recall of my C-line/L-4B/giant quad days, it was gratifying to get yourself "in the log" but you expected to, and very quickly too.  This is different, a triumph of a different sort, maybe operating prowess is substituting for raw ERP or something, that puts a smile on your face, a song in your heart, and a spring in your step!

The Old Timer often taught that the secret to working DX is "when you hear 'em, call 'em!"  It's just that simple.

73 de W6OGC Jim Allen

Sent from my iPad

> On Dec 21, 2014, at 10:59 PM, Bernie KF0QS <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Today, there was a pileup on 9M6XRO (East Malaysia) on 10 meters.  Using my
> K2 at 5 watts (my antenna was a Cushcraft A3S at about 24 ft in elevation) I
> got through the pileup on about my third call.  What a surprise!
>
> It's the first time I've broken through a pileup on QRP.  What fun!!
>
> Thanks for reading.
>
> 73 de Bernie, KF0QS

> Message delivered to [hidden email]

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: 9M6XRO with my K2/10

Bernie KF0QS
Thanks for the replies you guys.  I'd always heard about QRP guys busting pileups, and having done it once, I've got a lot more confidence for doing it again.

Happy Holidays all, and 73 de Bernie, KF0QS