A software lock preventing reverse mode?

A software lock preventing reverse mode?

Gary Smith
Hi,

When I use Logic 8 there is a nice feature where there is a DX Spot
log. This reflects on the air spots and evaluates my database to let
me know what is posted that I need on which band for which award.

When I click on a call, the K3 automatically goes to what band and
mode was posted and even moves the transmit/SPLIT to the DX's
listening freq if posted.

Almost perfect except for some reason, when engaging this, the
command also moves the K3 to listen in the reverse position.

I've learned to click on the spot in logic and then press the ALT on
the K3 to put the signal to normal but I'd like to be able to have
the ability in the config menu to tell the K3 to ignore the REV
comand unless physically selected by the ALT button or just to ignore
it totally unless I intentionally enable it again.

Possibilities?

Thanks,

Gary
KA1J

Re: A software lock preventing reverse mode?

Greg - AB7R
IMO this should be handled by Logic8 and not compensated for in the K3.

I've had problems when clicking on spots from Logic where it would not always set
the correct mode.  I've emailed Dennis about this and he made a brief attempt to
fix this.  When his attempt didn't work he gave up on it.  That's a shame as Logic
is otherwise a great logging program.

-------------------------
73,
Greg - AB7R
Whidbey Island WA
NA-065

On Tue Mar 17 11:57 , "Gary Smith"  sent:

>Hi,
>
>When I use Logic 8 there is a nice feature where there is a DX Spot
>log. This reflects on the air spots and evaluates my database to let
>me know what is posted that I need on which band for which award.
>
>When I click on a call, the K3 automatically goes to what band and
>mode was posted and even moves the transmit/SPLIT to the DX's
>listening freq if posted.
>
>Almost perfect except for some reason, when engaging this, the
>command also moves the K3 to listen in the reverse position.
>
>I've learned to click on the spot in logic and then press the ALT on
>the K3 to put the signal to normal but I'd like to be able to have
>the ability in the config menu to tell the K3 to ignore the REV
>comand unless physically selected by the ALT button or just to ignore
>it totally unless I intentionally enable it again.
>
>Possibilities?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Gary
>KA1J
>Post: [hidden email]','','','')">[hidden email]

Re: A software lock preventing reverse mode?

David Gilbert

That's a Logic 8 problem.  Please enter my vote against polluting the K3
menu with bug fix workarounds for every piece of defective software out
there.

Dave   AB7E

Gary Smith wrote:

> Hi,
>
> When I use Logic 8 there is a nice feature where there is a DX Spot
> log. This reflects on the air spots and evaluates my database to let
> me know what is posted that I need on which band for which award.
>
> When I click on a call, the K3 automatically goes to what band and
> mode was posted and even moves the transmit/SPLIT to the DX's
> listening freq if posted.
>
> Almost perfect except for some reason, when engaging this, the
> command also moves the K3 to listen in the reverse position.
>
> I've learned to click on the spot in logic and then press the ALT on
> the K3 to put the signal to normal but I'd like to be able to have
> the ability in the config menu to tell the K3 to ignore the REV
> comand unless physically selected by the ALT button or just to ignore
> it totally unless I intentionally enable it again.
>
> Possibilities?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Gary
> KA1J

Re: A software lock preventing reverse mode?

Gary Smith
I've been using Logic since the early 90s. Dennis only fixes what he
wants to fix. I suppose if he had a K3 to work with or knew the
involved command structure, he might find the issue simple to
resolve. He's using the Kenwood interface for the K3 and I believe he
feels the K2 is essentially the same command set as the K3.

If this going to REV happens with Logic it as easily could be caused
by another program deciding to do the same or similar function. If a
config "lock" were available, it would resolve the problem. It would
also prevent accidental going into reverse when accidentally
depressing ALT (not that that happens often but I have done it
before).

> IMO this should be handled by Logic8 and not compensated for in the K3.
>
> I've had problems when clicking on spots from Logic where it would not always set
> the correct mode.  I've emailed Dennis about this and he made a brief attempt to
> fix this.  When his attempt didn't work he gave up on it.  That's a shame as Logic
> is otherwise a great logging program.
>
> -------------------------
> 73,
> Greg - AB7R
> Whidbey Island WA
> NA-065
>

> On Tue Mar 17 11:57 , "Gary Smith"  sent:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >When I use Logic 8 there is a nice feature where there is a DX Spot
> >log. This reflects on the air spots and evaluates my database to let
> >me know what is posted that I need on which band for which award.
> >
> >When I click on a call, the K3 automatically goes to what band and
> >mode was posted and even moves the transmit/SPLIT to the DX's
> >listening freq if posted.
> >
> >Almost perfect except for some reason, when engaging this, the
> >command also moves the K3 to listen in the reverse position.
> >
> >I've learned to click on the spot in logic and then press the ALT on
> >the K3 to put the signal to normal but I'd like to be able to have
> >the ability in the config menu to tell the K3 to ignore the REV
> >comand unless physically selected by the ALT button or just to ignore
> >it totally unless I intentionally enable it again.
> >
> >Possibilities?
> >
> >Thanks,
> >
> >Gary
> >KA1J
> >Post: [hidden email]','','','')">[hidden email]
> >
> >This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
> >Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html

Re: A software lock preventing reverse mode?

Fred Bennett  N9TA-2
This email group is primarily concerned with solving problems in the use
and enjoyment of Elecraft products. While posts which drag on and on
related to other products may be out of place, this is THE place to post
fixes and info related to making things work. This email reflector has
been extremely helpful to me...and I'm sure others as well. Although I
own a K2...not a K3....I DO use Logic 8.0, so I am somewhat interested
in the subject. It is understandable that those who have no reason to
monitor this topic would be dis-interested. I believe patience is in
need here....as the topic YOU are interested in may be of NO interest to me.

                73....de....Fred  N9TA

David Gilbert wrote:

> That's a Logic 8 problem.  Please enter my vote against polluting the K3
> menu with bug fix workarounds for every piece of defective software out
> there.
>
> Dave   AB7E
>

> Gary Smith wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> When I use Logic 8 there is a nice feature where there is a DX Spot
>> log. This reflects on the air spots and evaluates my database to let
>> me know what is posted that I need on which band for which award.
>>
>> When I click on a call, the K3 automatically goes to what band and
>> mode was posted and even moves the transmit/SPLIT to the DX's
>> listening freq if posted.
>>
>> Almost perfect except for some reason, when engaging this, the
>> command also moves the K3 to listen in the reverse position.
>>
>> I've learned to click on the spot in logic and then press the ALT on
>> the K3 to put the signal to normal but I'd like to be able to have
>> the ability in the config menu to tell the K3 to ignore the REV
>> comand unless physically selected by the ALT button or just to ignore
>> it totally unless I intentionally enable it again.
>>
>> Possibilities?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Gary
>> KA1J
>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Re: A software lock preventing reverse mode?

Phil LaMarche-2

I second that motion........

Philip LaMarche
LaMarche Enterprises, Inc.
www.instantgourmetspices.com

www.w9dvm.com
800-395-7795 pin 02
727-944-3226
FAX 727-937-8834
NASFT 30210

K3  #1605
W9DVM

David Gilbert wrote:

> That's a Logic 8 problem.  Please enter my vote against polluting the
> K3 menu with bug fix workarounds for every piece of defective software
> out there.
>
> Dave   AB7E
>

> Gary Smith wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> When I use Logic 8 there is a nice feature where there is a DX Spot
>> log. This reflects on the air spots and evaluates my database to let
>> me know what is posted that I need on which band for which award.
>>
>> When I click on a call, the K3 automatically goes to what band and
>> mode was posted and even moves the transmit/SPLIT to the DX's
>> listening freq if posted.
>>
>> Almost perfect except for some reason, when engaging this, the
>> command also moves the K3 to listen in the reverse position.
>>
>> I've learned to click on the spot in logic and then press the ALT on
>> the K3 to put the signal to normal but I'd like to be able to have
>> the ability in the config menu to tell the K3 to ignore the REV
>> comand unless physically selected by the ALT button or just to ignore
>> it totally unless I intentionally enable it again.
>>
>> Possibilities?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Gary
>> KA1J
>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]
>>
>> This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net Please help support this
>> email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html

> list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html

Re: A software lock preventing reverse mode?

Jim Brown-10
On Tue, 17 Mar 2009 15:49:36 -0400, Fred Bennett N9TA wrote:

>This email group is primarily concerned with solving problems in the use
>and enjoyment of Elecraft products.

I have no idea what Logic 8 is, nor do I care. BUT -- the K3 is a VERY
popular contesting radio (and I'd say the Rolls Royce of contesting
radios), N1MM and WriteLog are very popular contest loggers, and I'd bet
that a significant fraction of K3 sales have been to contesters. For that
combination of reasons, it's my opinion that questions relating to control
of the radio for contesting is pretty much "on-topic" as long as things
don't get out of hand.

73,

Jim Brown K9YC

Re: A software lock preventing reverse mode?

Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ
Administrator
Guys - The Logic 8 thread is OK. Please no more posts voting pro/con.

In general, if you have an issue with postings, email the moderator
(me). Do not clog the list by posting them there.

73, Eric  WA6HHQ
Elecraft List Moderator.
----

Re: A software lock preventing reverse mode?

Greg - AB7R
Noone is saying its not worth discussion.  I simply stated its a problem with the software, not
the radio.  I wish there was a work around as I like the program.  Though it will soon be moot
here as I continue to migrate to Mac.

-------------------------
73,
Greg - AB7R
Whidbey Island WA
NA-065

On Tue Mar 17 12:49 , Fred Bennett N9TA  sent:

>This email group is primarily concerned with solving problems in the use
>and enjoyment of Elecraft products. While posts which drag on and on
>related to other products may be out of place, this is THE place to post
>fixes and info related to making things work. This email reflector has
>been extremely helpful to me...and I'm sure others as well. Although I
>own a K2...not a K3....I DO use Logic 8.0, so I am somewhat interested
>in the subject. It is understandable that those who have no reason to
>monitor this topic would be dis-interested. I believe patience is in
>need here....as the topic YOU are interested in may be of NO interest to me.
>
>                73....de....Fred  N9TA
>

>David Gilbert wrote:
>> That's a Logic 8 problem.  Please enter my vote against polluting the K3
>> menu with bug fix workarounds for every piece of defective software out
>> there.
>>
>> Dave   AB7E
>>

>> Gary Smith wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> When I use Logic 8 there is a nice feature where there is a DX Spot
>>> log. This reflects on the air spots and evaluates my database to let
>>> me know what is posted that I need on which band for which award.
>>>
>>> When I click on a call, the K3 automatically goes to what band and
>>> mode was posted and even moves the transmit/SPLIT to the DX's
>>> listening freq if posted.
>>>
>>> Almost perfect except for some reason, when engaging this, the
>>> command also moves the K3 to listen in the reverse position.
>>>
>>> I've learned to click on the spot in logic and then press the ALT on
>>> the K3 to put the signal to normal but I'd like to be able to have
>>> the ability in the config menu to tell the K3 to ignore the REV
>>> comand unless physically selected by the ALT button or just to ignore
>>> it totally unless I intentionally enable it again.
>>>
>>> Possibilities?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Gary
>>> KA1J
>>> Post: [hidden email]','','','')">[hidden email]

>> Post: [hidden email]','','','')">[hidden email]

>Post: [hidden email]','','','')">[hidden email]

Re: A software lock preventing reverse mode?

Bill W4ZV

David Gilbert wrote
That's a Logic 8 problem.
Correct.  N1MM has a configuration box to reverse CW sidebands.  If N1MM can do it, so can Logic 8...if the owner wants to support his customers.

73,  Bill

Re: A software lock preventing reverse mode?

David Gilbert

Fred (and to others that responded to my post),

I never said that I thought the Logic 8 issue was off topic, and I have
no problem with anyone on this reflector highlighting interface problems
between any piece of software and any Elecraft rig.   Please reread my
message.   What I said was that I would greatly prefer that defects in
said interfaces be corrected by the author of the offending software and
NOT by adding obscure workarounds to the K3 menu.  Why perpetuate
complexity in the K3 when the root cause for the problem lies elsewhere?

73,
Dave   AB7E

Fred Bennett N9TA wrote:

> This email group is primarily concerned with solving problems in the use
> and enjoyment of Elecraft products. While posts which drag on and on
> related to other products may be out of place, this is THE place to post
> fixes and info related to making things work. This email reflector has
> been extremely helpful to me...and I'm sure others as well. Although I
> own a K2...not a K3....I DO use Logic 8.0, so I am somewhat interested
> in the subject. It is understandable that those who have no reason to
> monitor this topic would be dis-interested. I believe patience is in
> need here....as the topic YOU are interested in may be of NO interest to me.
>
>                 73....de....Fred  N9TA
>

> David Gilbert wrote:
>
>> That's a Logic 8 problem.  Please enter my vote against polluting the K3
>> menu with bug fix workarounds for every piece of defective software out
>> there.
>>
>> Dave   AB7E
>>

>> Gary Smith wrote:
>>

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> When I use Logic 8 there is a nice feature where there is a DX Spot
>>> log. This reflects on the air spots and evaluates my database to let
>>> me know what is posted that I need on which band for which award.
>>>
>>> When I click on a call, the K3 automatically goes to what band and
>>> mode was posted and even moves the transmit/SPLIT to the DX's
>>> listening freq if posted.
>>>
>>> Almost perfect except for some reason, when engaging this, the
>>> command also moves the K3 to listen in the reverse position.
>>>
>>> I've learned to click on the spot in logic and then press the ALT on
>>> the K3 to put the signal to normal but I'd like to be able to have
>>> the ability in the config menu to tell the K3 to ignore the REV
>>> comand unless physically selected by the ALT button or just to ignore
>>> it totally unless I intentionally enable it again.
>>>
>>> Possibilities?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Gary
>>> KA1J
>>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Re: A software lock preventing reverse mode?

Gary Smith
> Correct.  N1MM has a configuration box to reverse CW sidebands.  If N1MM can
> do it, so can Logic 8...if the owner wants to support his customers.
>
> 73,  Bill

My request remains valid.

If not Logic 8, if not the next "program XYZ that unexpectedly
engages REV" then for those who inadvertently engage REV; it would be
a positive feature to disable REV unless intended.

Gary

Re: A software lock preventing reverse mode?

Joe Subich, W4TV-4

> My request remains valid.
>
> If not Logic 8, if not the next "program XYZ that unexpectedly
> engages REV" then for those who inadvertently engage REV; it
> would be a positive feature to disable REV unless intended.

Why?  Normal CW is set by MD3; CW-REV is set by MD7;  Normal
Data is set by MD6;, DATA_Rev is set by MD9; ... identical to
both Kenwood and the "new" Yaesu command sets.  The only way
REV can be set is by sending a specific mode command or using
the switch emulation command "SWH17;"

There is no need for an "ignore reverse mode commands" setting.
The logging application simply needs to properly support the
the K3/Kenwood/Yaesu command set.  If an author refuses to
fix the K3 support, he is probably having problems with Kenwood
and (new) Yaesu rigs as well.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV