AGC Threshold question - K2

Neal Campbell and Sarah Ferrell
Hi,

I am just at the first alignment and test stage of my K2. Everything
checked out just fine except the step where I am to adjust R1 on the
control board for 3.80 v on pin 5 of U2. The highest I can get the
voltage to go is 3.38v. Is this something to worry about? If so, any
clues?

Thanks
Neal - k3nc

Re: AGC Threshold question - K2

Don Wilhelm-3
Neil,

Yes you apparently have something wrong.

The voltage measurement comes from a purely resistive network fed by 8
volts, and there is not much to troubleshooting it - that is if you can
manage to probe the pins of R-Pak RP6.

With the RF gain in the full clockwise setting, you should read close to 0
volts on pin 6 of RP6 - and you should find 8 volts from the power source on
pin 3 (of RP6).  The voltage at pins 4 and 5 should be at the same voltage
as pin 5 of U6, and the voltage should be adjustable by changing R1.  The
voltage on pin 7 of RP1 will depend on the setting of R1.  Check out the
schematic of the Control Board - look in the AGC section in the lower left
corner to see how these resistors are connected.

If you find a voltage that is unusual, first check the soldering, and next
be certain RP6 is the 5.1k package (the numbers 512 should appear in the
labeling).

If the voltage on pin 3 of RP6 is much lower than 8 volts, the 8 volt
regulator (U4) may be the problem.  However, the last person I helped who
had a reading similar to yours did not have the probe on pin 5 of U6.  Pin 5
is the topmost pin and toward the side panel.