AGC

haircutter@verizon.net
Hello Folks,
 Just talking to a friend that has a K3 also and he was asking why the signal gets louder with less noise when you turn off the "AGC" ? I turned off tha agc when working a weak DX station, and he was right. Made the copy easier and much louder. What is the technical reason for this?

Don..w2xb

Re: AGC

Darwin, Keith
Since AGC automatically turns down the gain when there is a big signal,
I'd expect that it would make things quiet.  Basically, it adjusts the
gain to equalize all signals.  Band noise, weak signals, strong signals
- all are rendered at the same volume level as they come out the
speaker.  Turn AGC off and the quiet stuff remains quiet while the loud
stuff gets much louder.  Overall S/N ratio goes way up.

I run my rig with a combination of AGC on/off.  I turn AGC on (to squash
any loud peaks) then back RF gain down until the noise background gets
weak.  Now I have a higher average S/N ratio but still have the
ear-protection benefits of AGC.

- Keith N1AS -
- K3 711 -

Re: AGC

Don Wilhelm-4
Kieth is correct if the AGC parameters are set high, particularly the
slope - that tries to make everything the same volume.  If you can
recall tuning an AM radio between stations, the noise level between
stations gets louder because there is no signal to hold the AGC active,
and the AGC is quite aggressive.

I did not like the behavior of the AGC with the default settings, I
liked the AGC behavior on my K2.  After seeing the curves produced by
Jack Smith (Clifton Labs), I changed my AGC parameters to more closely
emulate the K2.
AGC PLS off
AGC SLP 002
AGC THR 008
AGC-F 140
AGC-S 010

I like my K3 AGC now - weak signals sound weaker than strong ones and
the noise level does not rise as much.  Your preferences may vary.

Darwin, Keith wrote:

> Since AGC automatically turns down the gain when there is a big signal,
> I'd expect that it would make things quiet.  Basically, it adjusts the
> gain to equalize all signals.  Band noise, weak signals, strong signals
> - all are rendered at the same volume level as they come out the
> speaker.  Turn AGC off and the quiet stuff remains quiet while the loud
> stuff gets much louder.  Overall S/N ratio goes way up.
>
> I run my rig with a combination of AGC on/off.  I turn AGC on (to squash
> any loud peaks) then back RF gain down until the noise background gets
> weak.  Now I have a higher average S/N ratio but still have the
> ear-protection benefits of AGC.
>
> - Keith N1AS -
> - K3 711 -

Re: AGC

haircutter@verizon.net
Thanks for the reply Keith,
 Makes sense.

Don...w2xb

 Just talking to a friend that has a K3 also and he was asking why the
signal gets louder with less noise when you turn off the "AGC" ? I
turned off tha agc when working a weak DX station, and he was right.
Made the copy easier and much louder. What is the technical reason for
this?

Don..w2xb

This email is a reply to your post @ http://n2.nabble.com/AGC-tp2435434p2435493.html

faint_grain.jpg (1K) Download Attachment

Re: AGC

Ron NA9F
Don thanks for the following info. These settings really gets rid of the noise
and signals are there. I changed my settings.

Ron NA9F

Don's stated AGC settings:

AGC PLS off
AGC SLP 002
AGC THR 008
AGC-F 140
AGC-S 010

I like my K3 AGC now - weak signals sound weaker than strong ones and
the noise level does not rise as much.  Your preferences may vary.

Re: AGC

Ralph Tyrrell

Don:
Your setting are so different from mine.
I tried yours, and now I have a brand new K3.

Thank you.

73, W1TF, K3 #696 , K1 # 1423, gets used once in a while.