AGC

S Sacco
OK, now that I'm slowly getting my station rebuild to the point where
I'm operating my K3 on a regular basis, I'm noticing that the AGC
seems to be kind of sub-optimal.  There are large differences in audio
volume when receiving different strength signals.   I have not been
directly comparing the K3 to another receiver, but it keep surprising
me (in a bad way).  On a couple of occasions, I had to rip off my
headphones, because it was faster than reaching for the volume
control.

I seem to remember this being somewhat of an issue with earlier
firmware versions, but I'm running 2.13 at this time.

Is anyone else having this issue?

73,
Steve NN4X

Re: AGC

Bob Cunnings NW8L
Have you tried adjusting the CONFIG:AGC SLP parameter? I've set mine
to the maximum value, 15, for flattest AGC slope.

Bob NW8L

On Mon, Jul 7, 2008 at 8:13 AM, S Sacco <[hidden email]> wrote:

> OK, now that I'm slowly getting my station rebuild to the point where
> I'm operating my K3 on a regular basis, I'm noticing that the AGC
> seems to be kind of sub-optimal.  There are large differences in audio
> volume when receiving different strength signals.   I have not been
> directly comparing the K3 to another receiver, but it keep surprising
> me (in a bad way).  On a couple of occasions, I had to rip off my
> headphones, because it was faster than reaching for the volume
> control.
>
> I seem to remember this being somewhat of an issue with earlier
> firmware versions, but I'm running 2.13 at this time.
>
> Is anyone else having this issue?
>
> 73,
> Steve NN4X

RE: AGC

Bud Semon N7CW
I have the CONFIG: AGC SLP parameter set to 15 also and I think it is not
aggressive enough - that is, the volume difference is too large between weak
and strong signals.

73, Bud N7CW

Have you tried adjusting the CONFIG:AGC SLP parameter? I've set mine
to the maximum value, 15, for flattest AGC slope.

Bob NW8L

On Mon, Jul 7, 2008 at 8:13 AM, S Sacco <[hidden email]> wrote:

> OK, now that I'm slowly getting my station rebuild to the point where
> I'm operating my K3 on a regular basis, I'm noticing that the AGC
> seems to be kind of sub-optimal.  There are large differences in audio
> volume when receiving different strength signals.   I have not been
> directly comparing the K3 to another receiver, but it keep surprising
> me (in a bad way).  On a couple of occasions, I had to rip off my
> headphones, because it was faster than reaching for the volume
> control.
>
> I seem to remember this being somewhat of an issue with earlier
> firmware versions, but I'm running 2.13 at this time.
>
> Is anyone else having this issue?
>
> 73,
> Steve NN4X

Re: AGC

Jim Cox
I agree, I also have mine set at 15 and there does seem to be a large
difference in the audio level of weak and loud stations...  Jim K4JAF

>I have the CONFIG: AGC SLP parameter set to 15 also and I think it is not
> aggressive enough - that is, the volume difference is too large between
> weak
> and strong signals.
>
> 73, Bud N7CW

Re: AGC

KK7P
> ... There are large differences in audio
> volume when receiving different strength signals.

There are two AGC  parameters that should help.

1) AGC THR

This sets the signal strength which must occur before AGC is activated.
  It is defaulted to the several microvolts range.  If you are listening
on a quiet band with a gain turned up, you might have 20 or 30 dB of
signal range before AGC starts.  Set AGC THR to a lower value.  Based on
your comments, I suggest a value of 1 or perhaps 2.

CONFIG:AGC THR 001

(default is 5)

2) AGC SLP

Once AGC is activated, this determines how much louder strong signals
may sound than signals just at the AGC threshold.  15 will really
flatten the response.

CONFIG:AGC SLP 015

(default is 10)

I suspect if you adjust both of these parameters - and AGC is ON! - you
will be happier with the K3 in your particular operating environment.

73,

Lyle KK7P

Re: AGC

KK7P
> CONFIG:AGC THR 001
>
> (default is 5)

Sorry, I just checked and I see 002 is the lowest allowed value in the
present firmware release.

73,

Lyle KK7P

Re: AGC

N5GE
On Mon, 7 Jul 2008 09:55:58 -0500, "Jim Cox" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>I agree, I also have mine set at 15 and there does seem to be a large
>difference in the audio level of weak and loud stations...  Jim K4JAF

[snip]

At the setting of 15 it sounds about the same as other rigs I've owned over the
years.  I prefer a setting of 12 because I like for the bigger signals to sound
louder.

Tom, N5GE - SWOT 3537 - Grid EM12jq

"Those who would give up
Essential Liberty to
purchase a little Temporary
Safety deserve neither
Liberty nor Safety"

An excerpt from a letter
written in 1755 from the
Assembly to the Governor
of Pennsylvania.

Support the entire Constitution, not
just the parts you like.

http://www.n5ge.com
http://www.eQSL.cc/Member.cfm?N5GE

Amateur Radio Operator N5GE

Re: AGC

KK7P
>> I have the CONFIG: AGC SLP parameter set to 15 also and I think it is not
>> aggressive enough - that is, the volume difference is too large
>> between weak and strong signals.

I just measured it.  From a signal at the AGC threshold (-104 dBm if AGC
THR is set to 005) to a signal 100 dB stronger, the audio output varies
less than 0.1 dB.  It's hard to get much flatter!

I think the sumptom you are experiencing is not related to flatness, but
to threshold.

If you set AGC THR from 005 (default) to 002 (the smallest allowed value
at present) the threshold will drop from about -104 dBm (1.4 uV or so)
to about -112 dBm (0.5 uV or so).  This will take about 8 dBV (or 16 dB
in terms of power your ears hear) off the maximum level you'll hear at
any particular AF GAIN setting as compared to the noise floor of the radio.

73,

Lyle KK7P

Re: AGC

S Sacco
Thanks, Lyle -

I've made those changes, and will see how they work.

Appreciate the help!!

73,
Steve NN4X

On Mon, Jul 7, 2008 at 11:08 AM, Lyle Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> ... There are large differences in audio
>> volume when receiving different strength signals.
>
> There are two AGC  parameters that should help.

RE: AGC

Darwin, Keith
Steve, please report back with the results of your change.

I have my AGC slope set to 3 or 4 IIRC.  Anything more than that and the
rig just sounds flat with noise & signals all being the same level, just
like all the rigs that I've owned before.

- Keith N1AS -
- K3 711 -