ALS-600

Joe G
Could someone tell me hoe to hook my ALS-600, Relay and ALC outputs, ro
the K3
Joe
W1JGS

Re: ALS-600

Don Wilhelm-4
Joe,

The setup is about the same as for any amplifier - coax from the K3 to
the amp's RF input, K3 KEYOUT to the amp's PTT IN (or relay control or
whatever it is labeled).  Set the K3 CONFIG:TX DLY parameter to be at
least as long as it takes for the amp to switch from standby to transmit.

Leave the ALC unconnected, and adjust the per-band power levels in the
K3 CONFIG:PWR SET menu so you do not overdrive the amplifier on any
band.  This assures more linear operation than relying on the
amplifier's ALC to limit the power.

If you insist on using the K3 ALC input, be sure your K3 has the change
to use negative going ALC ( early K3s did not - sorry but I don't know
the cut-in serial number) and connect the amp's ALC output to the K3 ACC
connector pin 15 (the ALC return to ground at pin 12).  See the details
on the negative ALC mod at the Elecraft website - link at the bottom of
the K3 page for K3 Enhancements and Application Notes (Mod Kits).

See page 27 of the Rev D Owner's Manual for the full information.  The
manual for your amplifier should provide the standby to transmit time
requirement - if not, query the manufacturer or measure the time from
PTT (or KEYIN) to closure of the relay(s) with a 'scope.

Joe G wrote:
> Could someone tell me hoe to hook my ALS-600, Relay and ALC outputs, ro
> the K3
>

> -----
> Joe
> W1JGS

RE: ALS-600

Bill Johnson-9
This is what I did with mine.  Works great and signal reports are excellent.
Nice to have just a little extra power when the low bands go long at night.

73,

Bill
K9YEQ
K2 #35; KX1 #35; K3 #1744; mini mods

[mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Don Wilhelm