ATU TUNE does not work in DATA A Split mode

ATU TUNE does not work in DATA A Split mode

Chuck - AE4CW
Has anyone noticed that ATU TUNE does not work (properly) when in DATA A Split mode?  The relays clatter for about three seconds but no RF is produced and no SWR reading is resolved.  If I drop Split, ATU TUNE works fine.  I'd appreciate if someone else could verify if their K3 is behaving the same way.  FW is 03.41.  Thanks.

P.S. ATU TUNE Split mode works FB in AFSK A and FSK D.  Split is N/A in PSK D.

Chuck, AE4CW
---
Chuck, AE4CW

Re: ATU TUNE does not work in DATA A Split mode

Rob May-2

I can confirm this behavior.  In Data A mode split, no (or very, very little) rf out.  Exit split mode and get ~5w during tune.  Also, when the TUNE (not atu tune) button is pressed, the display which normally shows swr displays "--" and power reads "0.0".  When you hit the tune button again to exit "ERR TXG" is displayed.  FW 3.41.
Rob
NV5E

> Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2009 18:30:06 -0700
> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: [Elecraft]  ATU TUNE does not work in DATA A Split mode
>

> Has anyone noticed that ATU TUNE does not work (properly) when in DATA A
> Split mode?  The relays clatter for about three seconds but no RF is
> produced and no SWR reading is resolved.  If I drop Split, ATU TUNE works
> fine.  I'd appreciate if someone else could verify if their K3 is behaving
> the same way.  FW is 03.41.  Thanks.
>
> P.S. ATU TUNE Split mode works FB in AFSK A and FSK D.  Split is N/A in PSK
> D.
>
> Chuck, AE4CW

Re: ATU TUNE does not work in DATA A Split mode

Bill N2BC
Chuck - AE4CW wrote:

> Has anyone noticed that ATU TUNE does not work (properly) when in DATA A
> Split mode?  The relays clatter for about three seconds but no RF is
> produced and no SWR reading is resolved.  If I drop Split, ATU TUNE works
> fine.  I'd appreciate if someone else could verify if their K3 is behaving
> the same way.  FW is 03.41.  Thanks.
>
> P.S. ATU TUNE Split mode works FB in AFSK A and FSK D.  Split is N/A in PSK
> D.
>
> Chuck, AE4CW

I see it too on 3.41   Tried 3.23 just for fun, same thing.

73, Bill  N2BC

Re: ATU TUNE does not work in DATA A Split mode

Steve Ellington
How are you getting split in data A? When I push SPLIT I get SPL N/A.

Steve
N4LQ
[hidden email]
> Has anyone noticed that ATU TUNE does not work (properly) when in DATA A
> Split mode?  The relays clatter for about three seconds but no RF is
> produced and no SWR reading is resolved.  If I drop Split, ATU TUNE works
> fine.  I'd appreciate if someone else could verify if their K3 is behaving
> the same way.  FW is 03.41.  Thanks.
>
> P.S. ATU TUNE Split mode works FB in AFSK A and FSK D.  Split is N/A in
> PSK
> D.
>
> Chuck, AE4CW

Re: ATU TUNE does not work in DATA A Split mode

Ken Wagner K3IU
You need to make sure both VFO A & B are in the same mode, else you will
get N/A.
Ken K3IU

Steve Ellington wrote:

> How are you getting split in data A? When I push SPLIT I get SPL N/A.
>
> Steve
> N4LQ
> [hidden email]

Michael Eberle
Was this issue ever resolved?  I have noticed the same thing with mine
although the issue does not appear to be the tuner itself, but the K3 is not
transmitting any power so the tuner has nothing to work with.  I am running
FW version 5.60 an have this issue but only on 6 Meters.

I can power up the K3 and open WSJT-X on my computer and select 6 meters
which usually causes SPLIT to turn on.  Hold TUNE and the TX keys and the
display shows 0 power.  Turn off SPLIT and it puts out power as usual.  Then
if I turn SPLIT back on, it will then output a carrier as usual.

If SPLIT is enabled on 6 meters and you run a TX gain calibration, it will
fail the calibration because the TX puts out no power.

It's not a major issue but an annoyance since I tend to forget about it
every time I switch from HF to 6 and try to check my antenna tuning.

Thanks,
Mike, KI0HA

--
Sent from: http://elecraft.365791.n2.nabble.com/

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: ATU TUNE does not work in DATA A Split mode

Nr4c
What mode and frequency on VFO B AND VFO A when this occurs?

Sent from my iPhone
...nr4c. bill

> On Nov 16, 2017, at 3:50 AM, Michael Eberle <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Was this issue ever resolved?  I have noticed the same thing with mine
> although the issue does not appear to be the tuner itself, but the K3 is not
> transmitting any power so the tuner has nothing to work with.  I am running
> FW version 5.60 an have this issue but only on 6 Meters.
>
> I can power up the K3 and open WSJT-X on my computer and select 6 meters
> which usually causes SPLIT to turn on.  Hold TUNE and the TX keys and the
> display shows 0 power.  Turn off SPLIT and it puts out power as usual.  Then
> if I turn SPLIT back on, it will then output a carrier as usual.
>
> If SPLIT is enabled on 6 meters and you run a TX gain calibration, it will
> fail the calibration because the TX puts out no power.
>
> It's not a major issue but an annoyance since I tend to forget about it
> every time I switch from HF to 6 and try to check my antenna tuning.
>
> Thanks,
> Mike, KI0HA
>

> --
> Sent from: http://elecraft.365791.n2.nabble.com/

> Message delivered to [hidden email]

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: ATU TUNE does not work in DATA A Split mode

Michael Eberle
Apparently I forgot to quote the original message I was replying to.  It
happens in Data mode only on 6 meters.  It does it with both VFOs on the
same frequency (i.e. 50.276) or with one VFO a few kHz away, both VFOs
in Data mode.  I probably would have never noticed it had it not been
for JT65 since WSJT-X always turns SPLIT on automatically and moves VFO
B around depending on where you are on the waterfall.

Mike, KI0HA