Another KPA500 remote question

M Cresap
How much chatter between a remote control program and the KPA500 can be tolerated by the KPA500 microprocessor? As others have noted, and I have seen as well, the power readings reported on the RS-232 line are instantaneous snapshots. In a true remote situation, you need many readings a second to get a good idea of the peak or average power level that you are transmitting on SSB. So between power readings (many per second), queries for fault values (maybe once per second), and temperature readings (one every 10 seconds) - how much is too much?

Alternately, could a new command be created that uses the micro to accumulate on a running basis (>8/sec) and report when asked the last 1/2 or 1 second of peak forward power and VSWR? That would reduce the RS-232 chatter and provide much more accurate information.

Thanks

Mike, W3IP

Re: Another KPA500 remote question

Iain MacDonnell - N6ML-2
On Sun, Jul 24, 2011 at 5:32 PM, M Cresap <[hidden email]> wrote:
> How much chatter between a remote control program and the KPA500 can be tolerated by the KPA500 microprocessor? As others have noted, and I have seen as well, the power readings reported on the RS-232 line are instantaneous snapshots. In a true remote situation, you need many readings a second to get a good idea of the peak or average power level that you are transmitting on SSB. So between power readings (many per second), queries for fault values (maybe once per second), and temperature readings (one every 10 seconds) - how much is too much?
>
> Alternately, could a new command be created that uses the micro to accumulate on a running basis (>8/sec) and report when asked the last 1/2 or 1 second of peak forward power and VSWR? That would reduce the RS-232 chatter and provide much more accurate information.

The latter is what I had envisaged. Peak current would be appropriate too.

    ~iain / N6ML