Answering Questions Effectively

alorona
I have been waiting for a slow reflector day to post this very low priority
message (Perhaps that day will never come!, so here goes...) but various
threads keep touching on the point that I have been wanting to make, and a
current K3 thread has yet again exhibited this behavior.

Let's say that you're having trouble with a particular rig control/logging
program. Let's say for example that it doesn't properly put the transceiver into
transmit under certain conditions.

If I made a suggestion such as, "The K3 already has a XMIT button that you can
use to put the rig into transmit," you would probably be irritated with me
because, of course, that isn't what you desire to do. You want the computer to
perform that function, not a front panel button.

Yet, again and again, when someone poses a particular problem or question about
the operation of an Elecraft product often one or more of the responses is,
"Computer program ABC can do that." Well, that may be true, but it doesn't help
the original poster. The original poster probably isn't interested in finding a
computer solution; he's interested in finding a solution within the rig itself.

Perhaps one possible reason for this is that folks who use a computer with their
rig 100% of the time assume that everybody does (or should). It is not my intent
to debate this particular issue, only to point out that it's not realistic to
assume this.

In my opinion, we should be more sensitive to whether or not a computer solution
is the right solution, and always help the poster dig down to find a real
solution to his problem.

Regards,

Al  W6LX

Re: Answering Questions Effectively

k6dgw
A "slow reflector day," particularly on this list does not exist in our
universe.

Good point, Al.  I've watched Don, W3FPR, for quite awhile.  Someone
posts a problem.  The post might be missing some information ... OK,
usually is, see my own "problem posts" for good examples.  15 responders
post "solutions."  Don, however, asks questions.  Pretty simple
engineering:  "First understand that there is a problem and what it is;
  Then find solutions."  Could cut down on list traffic some, including
arithmetic lessons.

73,

Fred K6DGW
Auburn CA CM98lw

On 11/22/2011 4:33 PM, Al Lorona wrote:
> I have been waiting for a slow reflector day to post this very low priority
> message

Re: Answering Questions Effectively

Mike Reublin
I agree, and would point out that there are two sides in the information exchange.
Asking the right question, couched in the correct terms is also necessary.

73, Mike NF4L