Antenna Analyzer Opinions?

Howard W. Ashcraft
I would be interested in any experience/opinions with antenna analyzers.  .  I have read the E-Ham reviews and see mixed reviews on Autek and MFJ analyzers, mostly relating to build quality.  AEA units are more favorably rated, but also more expensive.  Does anyone have experience with the Micro 908 Antenna Analyzer kit?  Thanks.

HOWARD W. ASHCRAFT, Jr.  W1WF
Direct Dial: (415) 995-5073
[hidden email]
HANSON 333 Market Street, 23rd Floor
BRIDGETT San Francisco, CA 94105-2173
MARCUS   Direct: (415) 995-5073
VLAHOS Main: (415) 777-3200
RUDY, LLP Fax: (415) 541-9366

RE: Antenna Analyzer Opinions?

James T. "Jim" Rogers, W4ATK
Howard asks: Does anyone have experience with the Micro 908 Antenna Analyzer
kit?

Howard, I have used the MFJ and like it a lot, however, for me the choice
would be the Micro908. It does more than antenna analysis and has many more
possibilities long run, plus you get to build it!

Jim, W4ATK

Re: Antenna Analyzer Opinions?

zeke7237
I just finished building a 908 for someone, and mine is coming in the
second round. It works pretty well in the limited testing I put it
through, and you get a development platform for other projects as
well. Plenty of detail on the site. Quality is totally in your control
:)  Parts are all fine, case fit is OK and looks pretty good (although
I'm not sure why it uses a stick-on when there'll be different apps in
the future).

de John/W1RT

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 14:12:43 -0800, Howard W. Ashcraft
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I would be interested in any experience/opinions with antenna analyzers.  .  I have read the E-Ham reviews and see mixed reviews on Autek and MFJ analyzers, mostly relating to build quality.  AEA units are more favorably rated, but also more expensive.  Does anyone have experience with the Micro 908 Antenna Analyzer kit?  Thanks.
>
> HOWARD W. ASHCRAFT, Jr.  W1WF
> Direct Dial: (415) 995-5073
> [hidden email]
> HANSON          333 Market Street, 23rd Floor
> BRIDGETT                San Francisco, CA 94105-2173
> MARCUS                  Direct: (415) 995-5073
> VLAHOS          Main: (415) 777-3200
> RUDY, LLP               Fax: (415) 541-9366

Re: Antenna Analyzer Opinions?

Dan Romanchik KB6NU
I have the Autek antenna analyzer and think it's a good deal for the price.
A couple guys in our club have the MFJ analyzers, so I've had a chance to
compare. The MFJ display has more information on it, so it's easier to use.
I like the analog meter on the MFJ; it lets you more quickly find an
antenna's resonant frequency. BUT, the unit is bigger than the Autek, and it
seems to go through batteries a lot faster than my Autek. The Autek is
cheaper, too.

I've seen the AEA units, too. They are much fancier, but as you say, they
cost a lot more. If you were putting up antennas every day, you'd probably
want the AEA, but since you probably are not...

Having said all that, I just took another look at the micro908. WOW! It's
very cool. If I were in the market right now, I think I'd go with this
instrument. One big reason is the computer control. Neither the MFJ or Autek
analyzers have this feature. You could do a lot of cool things with this
feature.

As an aside, I swapped e-mail with the Autek guy after I purchased my
analyzer. Since it's obvious processor-controlled, I asked him about putting
some kind of computer interface on it. He answered that "nobody would pay
extra for that feature." Bleah.

73!

Dan KB6NU
President, ARROW Comm. Assn. (www.w8pgw.org)
ARRL MI Section Affiliated Club Coordinator
CW Geek (FISTS #9342)
Read my ham radio blog at www.blurty.com/~kb6nu

> I would be interested in any experience/opinions with antenna analyzers.
.  I have read the E-Ham reviews and see mixed reviews on Autek and MFJ
analyzers, mostly relating to build quality.  AEA units are more favorably
rated, but also more expensive.  Does anyone have experience with the Micro
908 Antenna Analyzer kit?  Thanks.

> HOWARD W. ASHCRAFT, Jr.  W1WF
> Direct Dial: (415) 995-5073
> [hidden email]
> HANSON 333 Market Street, 23rd Floor
> BRIDGETT San Francisco, CA 94105-2173
> MARCUS  Direct: (415) 995-5073
> VLAHOS Main: (415) 777-3200
> RUDY, LLP Fax: (415) 541-9366

Re: Antenna Analyzer Opinions?

G3VVT
I have the MFJ and AEA antenna analyzers in use at this end.

Started with the MFJ-209 which only reads SWR from it's single meter  and has
a basic rotary analog frequency read out. Works OK, but had  dificulties with
frequency accuracy particularly on the VHF range. Had to either  use an
external counter or in conjunction with a receiver to find exactly what  frequency
you were on. Made up a stick on paper scale to give a correction on  the VHF
scale as this does not appear to be adjustable for calibration, unlike  the HF
ranges.

Sold this on at the local radio club last year and upgraded to the  MFJ-259B.
This has the same frequency range from about 1.8 to 170MHz but has  much more
information available from it's twin meters and an LCD readout  that also
gives a digital frequency readout. Able amongst many other tests to  measure
simultaneously SWR and impedance at the frequency of test. There is the  more
costly MFJ-269 available that also covers UHF, though unless this  coverage is
needed the MFJ-259B probably the better option. The MFJ  analyzers are able to be
operated from AA dry or rechargeable cells or even  external DC power. On the
earlier version of the MFJ-259(B) one could  replace the cells through a
hatch in the rear of the case. Sadly MFJ have now  seen fit to remove this
feature, probably to save costs and it now requires 8  screws to be removed and
dismantle the analyzer to get at the batteries. I use  12 rechargeable AA cells
with mine that are charged via the inbuilt charger to  save dismantling.

The AEA SWR-121V/U I have is for VHF and UHF only though there is an HF
version available. This works in a totally different way in that it allows the
user to make a sweep of frequency against SWR and displays this as a graph on an
 LCD panel. The sweep width is adjustable in defined steps to cover the
bandwidth  required. Found this extremely useful for sweeping antennas to check
their  usable bandwidth. A function can be selected to display the center
resonant  frequency of the antenna on test. Is powered with AA cells or external DC
power.

There is an inbuilt problem with both of these antenna analyzers and which
probably applies to the Autek as well in that they are totally unusable in comm
 sites or areas where there are other adjacent transmitters in operation at
the  time of measurement. They are unable to read the SWR due to also detecting
the  external TX at the same time and reading this as a poor SWR.

Noted another method of checking SWR on a graphical basis using a spectrum
analyzer and tracking generator. Contractors building some new comms buildings
at the workplace had installed new antennas on our existing towers in
readiness  for existing equipment to be moved to the new buildings. As part of the
commissioning work these antennas were swept with a spectrum analyzer and
tracking generator in conjunction with a directional coupler possibly  from HP
that allowed a visual sweep of the antenna. I note that the  Micro908 from AM QRP
club is able to carry out a similar task. Not seen this  device listed before
the mention on this reflector. Website for  info: www.amqrp.org/kits/micro908

Bob, G3VVT

Re: Antenna Analyzer Opinions?

Dan Romanchik KB6NU
I can attest that this is also a problem with the Autek. I was using my
Autek analyzer to tune an antenna at a multi-op contest station that our
club was setting up. As I was tuning the antenna, every once in a while, the
readings would just go crazy. I started thinking that my meter was beginning
to fail until I noticed that the meter would start acting funny whenever one
of the other stations was transmitting! :) Everyone got a good laugh out of
it.

73!

Dan KB6NU

> There is an inbuilt problem with both of these antenna analyzers and which
> probably applies to the Autek as well in that they are totally unusable in
comm
>  sites or areas where there are other adjacent transmitters in operation
at
> the  time of measurement. They are unable to read the SWR due to also
detecting
> the  external TX at the same time and reading this as a poor SWR.
>
> Bob, G3VVT

Re: Antenna Analyzer Opinions?

Dave G.

   I  have  the  u908 (AA908) Antenna Analyzer. It comes as a very nicely
   packed  kit,  lots  of  SMT  components  with an excellent instruction
   manual.

   The case is approx 7" x 5.25" x 1.5" and made of ABS(?) plastic.

   The  complete unit consists of a Mother board, a DDS daughter board, a
   microcontroller board and a (KK7P) DSP card.

   The  software  is user up-gradeable running a terminal program on your
   PC (which I have done three times), and can change the function of the
   unit.

   Right  now  it is configured as an antenna analyser. It has manual and
   automatic modes, and can scan between user selectable frequencies.

   On  power up. It defaults to impedance mode but can be selected to run
   in  inductance, capacitance or VFO mode. I have tested it on antennae,
   coax,  discrete  capacitors,  inductors and resistors, and it seems to
   work very well.

   The  unit  will  actually  be  able  to  run  as one of five different
   configurations - currently it is an antenna analyser, next application
   to  be released is (I believe) an DSP audio filter application (AF908)
   similar  to  the  K2DSP  (using  Lyle's excellent unit), and then(?) a
   PSK31  software  program  for  Portable  PSK  using  a small accessory
   keyboard.

   Internal  batteries  are  8  AA's - if NiMH cells are used, there is a
   jumper  in the unit that will permit them to be charged while the unit
   is plugged into an external 12V source.

   The only current limitations(?) I have found so far are;

   1.  frequency  range is limited to 1 - 30 MHz in three decade switched
   bands,

   2. SWR maximum indication is 10:1

   3. Impedances greater than 600 Ohms cannot be accommodated.

   Usual disclaimers, no financial interest, just a satisfied owner

   Dave KK7SS

   Dave KK7SS

   AMSAT #35359 DN06ig

   Mail is Virus checked , both IN and OUT