Antenna?

Jimmy Lee-4
What antenna do you use for portable operation?  I have 66 foot doublet
fed with 300 ohm line and a 85 foot wire with a 17 foot counterpoise.
Any other suggestions and ideas.  All will be appreciated.
Jimmy, AE4DT

Re: Antenna?

JEAN-FRANCOIS MENARD-2
I actually use a Buddipole. See www.buddipole.com for more info.

It's a great antenna !!! Very portable and covering from 2M to 40M !!!

See www.eham.net for more comments about this great portable antenna !!!

73

Le 04-07-02, à 20:30, Jimmy Lee a écrit :

> What antenna do you use for portable operation?  I have 66 foot doublet
> fed with 300 ohm line and a 85 foot wire with a 17 foot counterpoise.
> Any other suggestions and ideas.  All will be appreciated.
> Jimmy, AE4DT

Jean-François Ménard / VA2VYZ
[hidden email]

Club d'Astronomie Amateur de Sherbrooke
Club Radio Amateur de l'Estrie

Mon site web personnel : http://homepage.mac.com/jfmenard

Re: Antenna?

Bob Nielsen
On Fri, Jul 02, 2004 at 08:30:15PM -0400, Jimmy Lee wrote:
> What antenna do you use for portable operation?  I have 66 foot doublet
> fed with 300 ohm line and a 85 foot wire with a 17 foot counterpoise.
> Any other suggestions and ideas.  All will be appreciated.
> Jimmy, AE4DT

I use a MP-1 vertical (the Elecraft gray version from the Elecraft web
site, which has additional mojo).

Bob, N7XY

Re: Antenna?

brianboschma
Bob,

Done any comparisons of the MP1 with a full size vertical or St Louis
vertical on 40 meters ?

Thanks,

Brian n6iz

Bob Nielsen wrote:

>On Fri, Jul 02, 2004 at 08:30:15PM -0400, Jimmy Lee wrote:
>

>>What antenna do you use for portable operation?  I have 66 foot doublet
>>fed with 300 ohm line and a 85 foot wire with a 17 foot counterpoise.
>>Any other suggestions and ideas.  All will be appreciated.
>>Jimmy, AE4DT
>>

>I use a MP-1 vertical (the Elecraft gray version from the Elecraft web
>site, which has additional mojo).
>
>Bob, N7XY

RE: Antenna?

Jim Sheldon
Bob,
My favorite antenna for portable operation has been the PAC-12, by Pacific Antenna.  I built the home brew version some months
before they began marketing a commercial one.  I've used it on 40, 30 and 20 meters, and have recently wound coils for 17 and 15
meters.  I haven't had the opportunity to test the 17 and 15 meter coils, but I'm sure they will work as well as the other ones do.

I have a cheap ($4.99 when on sale) Harbor Freight canvas tool bag that's about 15" long that easily houses all the parts and a
decent chunk of feed line to carry it in.  Before getting my K2, I used it mostly on 20 meters with a Small Wonder Labs DSW-II-20,
with excellent results.  46 states and even a few DX countries, including Japan.  It's performance is better, distance wise than any
of the wire antennas I've managed to put up in field locations.  Now, mind you, my luck with wire antennas has been atrocious up
until field day this year.

I like the PAC-12 though for the fact that you do not need a tuner with it.  Once adjusted, and I use one of the 4 States QRP
group's "Tenna Dipper" antenna analyzers designed by Steve Weber, KD1JV to adjust it, It radiates quite well, and the radio likes
it.

If you home brew it, parts shouldn't cost more than 20 bucks for the masting, one coil and the whip.  Additional coils can be as
cheap as a couple of bucks, and the PVC parts are readily available at most hardware/home improvement stores.

The counterpoise for this antenna consists of 3 or more (more is better) 10 foot long radials laid out on the ground.  I use 7 with
excellent results, and have gotten real good results with only 3.  I've even been experimenting with a pair of them in an easily
packable phased array, but due to limitations, 20 meters is the only band I've tried for this with promising results.  Not much
forward gain, but a good null off the back and maybe (I don't have equipment to measure it) 1db forward.  It does improve the
forward signal somewhat, but without a real test range and good measuring equipment, I have no real idea if it really works or if
I'm just perceiving a slight gain.

Anyway, the other antenna I have used is an inverted L approximately 130 feet long and placed as high as possible in the trees.
Takes a while to set up, but on 80, 40, 40 and 17 meters, using an LDG QRP tuner, it produced lots of contacts.

Overall, the PAC-12 takes less than 10 minutes to set up or take down, is light to carry, and produces lots of contacts.  IMO it's
probably the best bang for the buck if you build it yourself.  There's a set of plans available on the AMQRP website www.amqrp.org
under the "Projects" tab and listed as the KA5DVS PAC-12 antenna.

Jim Sheldon, W0EB
K2 #4338

http://mailman.qth.net/subscribers.htm
>Elecraft web page: http://www.elecraft.com

RE: Antenna?

Sherman Banks
Instructions for the Pac-12 antenna can be found here:

http://www.njqrp.org/pac-12/index.html

It's hard to find from the home pages of the other QRP sites listed...

> Overall, the PAC-12 takes less than 10 minutes to set up or take
> down, is light to carry, and produces lots of contacts.  IMO it's
> probably the best bang for the buck if you build it yourself.
> There's a set of plans available on the AMQRP website www.amqrp.org
> under the "Projects" tab and listed as the KA5DVS PAC-12 antenna.

Re: Antenna?

Mike Morrow-3
Jimmy Lee wrote:

>What antenna do you use for portable operation?

Hi Jimmy,

I've been interested in portable HF operation, from campsites primarily, for about 30 years.  I've tried just about everything for antennas, and wasted a lot of money on commercial vertical and loop abominations.  About ten years ago I went back to the best and cheapest performer I'd ever found:  A resonant dipole feed with coax.

I use very flexible multi-strand 14 ga. wire in a dipole that is about 66 feet long, with NO balun at the center insulator.  I've placed six insulators in each leg, with a jumper/aligator clip permanently soldered to the outboard segment at each insulator.  Using this arrangement I can set up a resonant dipole for every ham band from 40 through 10 meters by connecting the jumpers across the appropriate insulators.  All insulators are made from small PVC pipe.  I seldom raise it above eight to ten feet, so band change only takes about a minute.

Using this antenna and a TS-50S, I worked more than 40 countries (Japan through Russia through South Africa and points in between) from a campsite a few years ago during a CQWW contest.

I can send a .pdf file with a detailed description, should anyone be interested be interested.

73,
Mike / KK5F

Re: Antenna?

brianboschma
Sherman,  and all,

Any objective measures of performance of these antenna's ? Vertical vs
Pac-12 / MP-1 ?

Brian n6iz

Sherman Banks wrote:

>Instructions for the Pac-12 antenna can be found here:
>
>http://www.njqrp.org/pac-12/index.html
>
>It's hard to find from the home pages of the other QRP sites listed...
>

>>Overall, the PAC-12 takes less than 10 minutes to set up or take
>>down, is light to carry, and produces lots of contacts.  IMO it's
>>probably the best bang for the buck if you build it yourself.
>>There's a set of plans available on the AMQRP website www.amqrp.org
>>under the "Projects" tab and listed as the KA5DVS PAC-12 antenna.

Re: Antenna?

Jeff Imel
Brian,

The HF Pack organization sponsors and annual antenna shootout.  The 2002
results for vertical antennas can be found here:

http://tinyurl.com/2lzgm

Scroll down the page and you'll see the MP-1's and the Pac-12 comparisons.

73

Jeff
KB9ZUR

> Any objective measures of performance of these antenna's ? Vertical vs
> Pac-12 / MP-1 ?
>
> Brian n6iz
>

> Sherman Banks wrote:
>
> >Instructions for the Pac-12 antenna can be found here:
> >
> >http://www.njqrp.org/pac-12/index.html
> >
> >It's hard to find from the home pages of the other QRP sites listed...
> >

> >>Overall, the PAC-12 takes less than 10 minutes to set up or take
> >>down, is light to carry, and produces lots of contacts.  IMO it's
> >>probably the best bang for the buck if you build it yourself.
> >>There's a set of plans available on the AMQRP website www.amqrp.org
> >>under the "Projects" tab and listed as the KA5DVS PAC-12 antenna.

http://mailman.qth.net/subscribers.htm

> >Elecraft web page: http://www.elecraft.com

http://mailman.qth.net/subscribers.htm

Re: Antenna?

Tom Mc
Hi Jeff,
 What a neat site!  Very interesting comparisons...tnx for the link.

Now all I have to do is find that bag of plumbing parts I bought on that
snowy February afternoon and I can build my PAC-12!

Tom

----------------------
Daddy, why do they call it the "World Series" if its always played in the
Bronx?

Jeff Imel wrote:

> The HF Pack organization sponsors and annual antenna shootout...
> http://tinyurl.com/2lzgm

That is a pretty interesting site.  Thanks for the URL.

It confirms the very dismal performance of *all* those "popular" HF short loading-coil verticals in comparison to the most simple, basic, inexpensive quarter-wave vertical.  TANSTAAFL!

Likewise, the horizontal antenna comparisons confirm the overall superiority of a simple dipole over other horizontal types being tested.

A comparison of all tested horizontal and vertical antennas against the half-wave horizontal dipole would have been interesting.  I'm sure it would have shown a very significant advantage of a horizontal dipole over any vertical tested.

At campsites I've made several side-by-side tests of various verticals versus a resonant dipole and have *always* found found verticals to be very poor performers, when directly compared to a cheap horizontal dipole.  Plus, don't forget the counterpoise or ground required by the vertical.

If one chooses to use a multi-band dipole for portable operation, I'd suggest staying away from *trap* dipoles.  Aside from the traps being heavy and bulky, the traps really narrow the bandwidth of each band compared to that of a single band dipole.  That's why, for the seven-band portable dipole that I put together,  I use small, lightweight, home-made PVC insulators with manually connected jumpers around them to change the band of resonance.

The second-best portable antenna I've ever used was a random-length dipole, center fed with 450 ohm ladder twin lead and a tuner.  The main problem presented was the routing of the excess twin lead.  Every camp site is different, and it *does* make a difference if you coil up the excess or allow it to lay on the ground.  The resonant dipole allowed me to return to the joyful and trouble-free world of RG-8X coax!  Also, most small tuners aren't real balanced line tuners, so there are losses in the ferrite balun that nearly all such tuners use to support balanced line feed.

I think I'm going to build a light-weight four-band version of my portable dipole for the four bands on my K1.  Right now, I just use the seven-band version that I originally built for my old TS-50S.

73,
Mike / KK5F

Re: Antenna?

Brian Mury-3
On Sun, 2004-07-04 at 06:47, Mike Morrow wrote:
> It confirms the very dismal performance of *all* those "popular" HF
> short loading-coil verticals in comparison to the most simple, basic,
> inexpensive quarter-wave vertical.  TANSTAAFL!

It's no surprise that a full size quarter wave beats any loaded
vertical, but I disagree that they all have dismal performance. The best
5 are less than a 1 dB difference (with the best being a mere 0.3 dB
difference). The best 13 are under 6 dB, which is less than 1 S unit.
Only 4 have a greater than 1 S unit difference.

> Likewise, the horizontal antenna comparisons confirm the overall
> superiority of a simple dipole over other horizontal types being
> tested.

Here, the worst is -3.78 db, which is only slightly over half an S unit,
while a couple beat out the reference antenna. Yes, ok, one of those
*is* a yagi; the other is the long buddipole.

> A comparison of all tested horizontal and vertical antennas against
> the half-wave horizontal dipole would have been interesting.  I'm sure
> it would have shown a very significant advantage of a horizontal
> dipole over any vertical tested.

I would also like to see a comparison between the horizontal and
vertical antennas. I don't think the horizontal antenna would
necessarily beat the vertical - it depends on a few variables, a couple
big ones that come to mind being the height of the dipole and the
vertical's counterpoise.

Of course, what is best also depends on what takeoff angle you want. If
you want a low takeoff angle for DX, I would argue that a vertical would
be hard to beat, especially if you're not able to get a dipole up high
enough. A low dipole is, of course, hard to beat for shorter distances.

> compared to that of a single band dipole.  That's why, for the
> seven-band portable dipole that I put together,  I use small,
> lightweight, home-made PVC insulators with manually connected jumpers
> around them to change the band of resonance.

Neat idea!

--
73, Brian
VE7NGR

Re: Antenna?

Leigh L. Klotz Jr WA5ZNU
Mike,

The way I read the table, the MP1 and PAC-12 are both about 1/2 dB down
from a quarter wave piece of wire and a single radial.
Leigh WA5ZNU

On Sun, 4 Jul 2004 6:49am, Mike Morrow wrote:
> It confirms the very dismal performance of *all* those "popular" HF
> short loading-coil verticals in comparison to the most simple, basic,
> inexpensive quarter-wave vertical.
73,
WA5ZNU Leigh

RE: Antenna?

Ron D'Eau Claire-2
I haven't done "pedestrian mobile" like the "Packers" but I have used a
vertical with single "counterpoise" with a total length of 1/2 wave like
that "reference vertical" they show on the web page would be on 20 meters.

First, we ARE talking verticals now, and a vertical has about a 6 dB
disadvantage over a horizontal, provided the horizontal is about 1/2 wave
high! That's not likely to happen below 10 meters on a portable or
pedestrian mobile setup, so it's a moot point here.

That aside, what is interesting about a vertical with one horizontal
counterpoise wire is that the counterpoise radiates as much as the antenna.
Typical "ground-plane" arrangements provide a lot of cancellation of
radiation from the "radials" since then are generally opposite each other
and fed "in phase" (all connect to the same electrical point, not to
out-of-phase currents like a dipole fed at the center). With only one
counterpoise, there is no cancellation.

That produces a lobe straight up for NVIS propagation from the counterpoise
that is virtually as strong as the lower angle lobe. Also the antenna
becomes fairly directional (in the direction of the counterpoise) which
helps provide some gain to overcome the near-ground losses when hanging from
a pedestrian <G>.

That combination can be dynamite for what a H-F Pack operator wants - a
great mix of radiation angles supporting ground wave and sky wave contacts.
The only consideration seems to be that it will probably help to have the
counterpoise sort of generally pointing in the direction of the other
station for ground wave communications, although the "directivity" is going
to be very broad. Also, with the counterpoise literally "on the ground" that
high angle radiation will be greatly affected by the condition of the earth
under it.

Ron AC7AC

Brian Mury wrote:

>I would also like to see a comparison between the horizontal and
>vertical antennas. I don't think the horizontal antenna would
>necessarily beat the vertical - it depends on a few variables, a couple
>big ones that come to mind being the height of the dipole and the
>vertical's counterpoise.

Hi Brian,

HF verticals perform poorly without, as you mention above, a very good counterpoise or ground plane.  In temporary portable installations, that is generally very difficult to obtain.  But for a dipole, it's a non-issue altogether.

I've never been able to get any vertical antenna (even a very expensive Australian-made dummy load) to perform within several s-units of a half-wave dipole that was up only about ten feet in side-by-side tests at a *temporary* site.

The generalizations I make are simply based on what I've observed in several decades of tinkering with campsite antennas.  They apply only to practical portable installations, not to the more optimally configured fixed vertical situation where observed performance may more likely reflect the theory.

73,
Mike / KK5F

RE: Antenna?

Steve-292
Mike (and others)...

There's been some discussions on the HFPack list about a ground independent
vertical design, published in the April 2004 issue of QST.  The author,
Brian Cake, KF2YN, describes a "C-Pole" loop antenna resembling an OCF
(off-center fed) horizontal antenna, only wrapped in a loop.  A tree branch
about 18' off the ground is all that's needed to hoist the 20M version into
the air.  Feed is at ground level through a choke balun.  EZNEC shows a low
angle of radiation, and no radials/counterpoise, etc. are needed.

Details for the 20M version may also be found:
        http://www.angelfire.com/tx4/netxqrpclub/
And the original article describing the background and 20 - 10M designs:
        http://www.arrl.org/members-only/tis/info/pdf/0404037.pdf

73,
Steve
aa8af

On Sun, 2004-07-04 at 10:20, Brian Mury wrote:
> It's no surprise that a full size quarter wave beats any loaded
> vertical, but I disagree that they all have dismal performance.

What I said and what I was thinking were not exactly the same. I meant
to say that the antennas in the shootout don't all have dismal
performance compared to the full size quarter wave reference antenna
used. Compared to a full size quarter wave with a good counterpoise -
well, that's a different question!

--
73, Brian
VE7NGR

Re: Antenna?

brianboschma
Mike Morrow wrote:

>Brian Mury wrote:
>

>>I would also like to see a comparison between the horizontal and
>>vertical antennas. I don't think the horizontal antenna would
>>necessarily beat the vertical - it depends on a few variables, a couple
>>big ones that come to mind being the height of the dipole and the
>>vertical's counterpoise.
>>

>Hi Brian,
>
>HF verticals perform poorly without, as you mention above, a very good counterpoise or ground plane.  In temporary portable installations, that is generally very difficult to obtain.  But for a dipole, it's a non-issue altogether.
>
>I've never been able to get any vertical antenna (even a very expensive Australian-made dummy load) to perform within several s-units of a half-wave dipole that was up only about ten feet in side-by-side tests at a *temporary* site.

Mike,

The nice thing about veritcals for backpacking is if you cannot find
trees they  still   work. Additionally you can get away with almost no
feed line if weight is a concern. As for the counterpoise situation, I
find stringing wires on the groung to be much simpler  than stringing
them up in trees. I carry  up to four 32' sections with me that form a
counterpoise against the veritcal element and often I can elevate the
groundplane for free (nearby scrub brush). Still  not a "silver plated"
back yard but it seems to suffice. Now the real advantage of all that
wire is if I want a dipole, and can locate tree's, all I need do is add
a feedpoint to the center and I have it.  Personally, if I have the
trees available I usually put up a full wave loop as it takes almost no
extra effort and works very well.

My best "vertical" experince  involves a week of surfing on a 1 acre
island in the S. Pacific.  A 20' vertical over  a sandy atoll with 4
wire counterpoise, 64' long. In a  few days I had worked 40 countries on
every continent . Of course this probably represents the best
counterpoise one can achieve.

another Brian - n6iz

Re: Antenna?

Doug Forman
Hi All,

I'm new to this list and Elecraft too - I've recently completed
building a "loaded" KX1 #731.

After building and aligning the KX1 with zero problems, I connected it
to both my 130+ ft "slinky dipole" strung-up in the attic of our
single-level home (with RG8X) and also my Cushcraft MA5V vertical
(10-12-15-17-20) up around 33 feet at the base (also with RG8X).  I was
pleasantly surprised to hear the receiver come alive with signals on
all three bands.  The built-in antenna tuner reports:

Slinky Dipole "CliffDweller II"
40m:  7055  - 2.1 Watts out, SWR 1.0
30m:  10107 - 1.8 Watts out, SWR 5.2 (relay chatter)
20m:  14065 - 3.0 Watts out, SWR 1.2

Cushcraft MA5V "Mini Vertical"
40m:  7055  - 2.1 Watts out, SWR 1.1
30m:  10107 - 4.3 Watts out, SWR 5.6 (relay chatter) (power out reading
suspect)
20m:  14065 - 2.1 Watts out, SWR 1.0

Dummy Load (Oil-filled "Can-tenna")
40m:  7055  - 2.9 Watts out, SWR 1.0
30m:  10107 - 2.3 Watts out, SWR 1.0
20m:  14065 - 2.3 Watts out, SWR 1.0

(all using Lithium Batteries)

Any thoughts regarding why the tuner has such a problem on 30m?

Wow, what a great little rig!  This is going to be fun.  Elecraft is
certainly a class act.

72 & 73

Doug N7BNT

Re: Antenna?

Stuart Rohre
Doug, the feedline length may be a problem on 30m.
Try adding or subtracting 5 or 10 feet to it.
72
Stuart
K5KVH