Are filters bought from Inrad the same as filters bought from Elecraft ?

Are filters bought from Inrad the same as filters bought from Elecraft ?

Larry Lopez
This is for pure information purposes.
I don't even have a K3 yet.

I am under the impression that all of the
crystal filters that Elecraft sells except
for the 5 pole filters are made by Inrad.

I am also under the impression that all of the
5 pole filters are made by Elecraft in house.

Do I have that right ?

Does Elecraft test the incoming Inrad crystals ?

The only reason is last week I ordered a filter from Inrad
because they took Paypal and I realized that I didn't
know if there was a difference between an Inrad or an
Elecraft filter.

Larry

Re: Are filters bought from Inrad the same as filters bought from Elecraft ?

KV5J
FYI...Elecraft takes PayPal.

Keith

Re: Are filters bought from Inrad the same as filters bought from Elecraft ?

Larry Lopez
Now I'm in real trouble !!!

   FYI...Elecraft takes PayPal.
   Keith

Re: Are filters bought from Inrad the same as filters bought from Elecraft ?

Larry Lopez
I looked again, and I didn't see Paypal as an option.

but then I used google and found this on the Elecraft web site:

We also accept payments directly from your PayPal account. (Funds transfers only - Use our regular credit card option at checkout for cards.) Use our regular shopping cart system and chose the Order by Check/Money Order option at checkout. Please note in the comments section that you are sending payment via PayPal. Then use PayPal to transfer the total payment to paypal@elecraft.com . We will confirm receipt of the funds via email.

way cool.

Re: Are filters bought from Inrad the same as filters bought from Elecraft ?

Jim Low man
Larry, I recently sold a 6 kHz AM filter after I realized that I have
two of them.

It was clearly printed on the body of the filter that it was made by Inrad.

Not sure if this is true for all of the filters for the K3 that Elecraft
sells, but I would doubt that Elecraft makes their own filters.

73 de Jim - AD6CW

On 4/27/2014 4:33 PM, Larry Lopez wrote:

> This is for pure information purposes.
> I don't even have a K3 yet.
>
> I am under the impression that all of the
> crystal filters that Elecraft sells except
> for the 5 pole filters are made by Inrad.
>
> I am also under the impression that all of the
> 5 pole filters are made by Elecraft in house.
>
> Do I have that right ?
>
> Does Elecraft test the incoming Inrad crystals ?
>
> The only reason is last week I ordered a filter from Inrad
> because they took Paypal and I realized that I didn't
> know if there was a difference between an Inrad or an
> Elecraft filter.
>
> Larry

> Message delivered to [hidden email]

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: Are filters bought from Inrad the same as filters bought from Elecraft ?

Jack Brindle-2
Larry has it right. The 8-pole filters are from our good friends at Inrad, while the last time I checked the 5-pole filters are in-house. from my own experience, both are excellent. But then I could be accused of being a wee bit biased... :-)

JackB, W6FB

Sent from my iPad

> On Apr 27, 2014, at 5:41 PM, Jim Lowman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Larry, I recently sold a 6 kHz AM filter after I realized that I have two of them.
>
> It was clearly printed on the body of the filter that it was made by Inrad.
>
> Not sure if this is true for all of the filters for the K3 that Elecraft sells, but I would doubt that Elecraft makes their own filters.
>
> 73 de Jim - AD6CW
>
>> On 4/27/2014 4:33 PM, Larry Lopez wrote:
>> This is for pure information purposes.
>> I don't even have a K3 yet.
>>
>> I am under the impression that all of the
>> crystal filters that Elecraft sells except
>> for the 5 pole filters are made by Inrad.
>>
>> I am also under the impression that all of the
>> 5 pole filters are made by Elecraft in house.
>>
>> Do I have that right ?
>>
>> Does Elecraft test the incoming Inrad crystals ?
>>
>> The only reason is last week I ordered a filter from Inrad
>> because they took Paypal and I realized that I didn't
>> know if there was a difference between an Inrad or an
>> Elecraft filter.
>>
>> Larry
>>

>> --
>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

>> Message delivered to [hidden email]

> Message delivered to [hidden email]

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: Are filters bought from Inrad the same as filters bought from Elecraft ?

Gary W. Hvizdak
A couple hours ago Larry Lopez (N2CVS) wrote ...

"Does Elecraft test the incoming INRAD crystals?"

Elecraft designed and produced a small gadget and provided it to INRAD at no
charge.  This gadget accepts one filter at a time, and has a cable to
connect it to a network analyzer.  With this setup, INRAD is able to test
their K3 filters in-house, to ensure they meet Elecraft's specifications,
(which I suspect includes a maximum center-frequency offset for each
bandwidth).   Elecraft's post-production processing of 8-pole INRAD filters
is likely limited to applying their label and adding the necessary mounting
hardware.  Note that INRAD includes the necessary mounting hardware with
filters that they retail, but not with their K3 filters that they sell in
bulk to Elecraft and to unpcbs.com.

Gary  KI4GGX
webmaster http://www.unpcbs.com/

P.S.  INRAD offers two bandwidths (1.5 kHz and 500 Hz) which are not
available from Elecraft, and unpcbs.com offers a third bandwidth (700 Hz)
which is not available from INRAD.

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: Are filters bought from Inrad the same as filters bought from Elecraft ?

Larry Lopez
Thanks for the clarification Gary.

Message delivered to [hidden email]