Are there any "bad radios"?

Geoffrey Feldman
Having worked retailing amateur radios, people often ask which is best.
Also often they are absolutely convinced they know the answer because their
Elmer said so.   When I review what someone actually wants to do with the
hobby and get a sense of their budget, I can advise them.  A new Ham often
hasn't a clear idea what they want to do.  Knowing most of what is
available, there are no truly "bad radios" that would be unsuited for anyone
at all.  Not everyone can afford "the best".  Not everyone can use the best.
New operators may not even be able to manage a ton of fancier features. New
Hams may not know there is more to the hobby than whatever their Elmer has
locked on to (20+ years ago).   Life in an HOA or a city with much RFI
directs from most expensive and top of the line towards something portable.
The visibility provided by  a Pan Adapter function is especially important.
Personally I have a KX3, PX3, KXPA100.  I also own an IC 7300.  My
recommendations at work would tend to what I can sell of course.  If someone
knows what they want, they buy it.   I find too that upselling the radio is
not productive either.  Once someone has a radio they will need antennas,
feed lines, maybe a tuner, wire, rope, books, power poles, antenna analyzer
- all that stuff is the really great stuff J  Also, if someone gets a lot of
books, they will learn other aspects of the hobby and  get another radio and
the cycle repeats.

Geoff

W1GCF

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: Are there any "bad radios"?

David Gilbert-2

I think you're ignoring that what might not be "bad" for the user could
still be bad for everyone else.

In my opinion, poorly designed radios shouldn't be supported by the user
base, period ... and that includes the people who make recommendations.

Dave  AB7E

On 6/13/2021 12:10 PM, Geoffrey Feldman wrote:

> Having worked retailing amateur radios, people often ask which is best.
> Also often they are absolutely convinced they know the answer because their
> Elmer said so.   When I review what someone actually wants to do with the
> hobby and get a sense of their budget, I can advise them.  A new Ham often
> hasn't a clear idea what they want to do.  Knowing most of what is
> available, there are no truly "bad radios" that would be unsuited for anyone
> at all.  Not everyone can afford "the best".  Not everyone can use the best.
> New operators may not even be able to manage a ton of fancier features. New
> Hams may not know there is more to the hobby than whatever their Elmer has
> locked on to (20+ years ago).   Life in an HOA or a city with much RFI
> directs from most expensive and top of the line towards something portable.
> The visibility provided by  a Pan Adapter function is especially important.
> Personally I have a KX3, PX3, KXPA100.  I also own an IC 7300.  My
> recommendations at work would tend to what I can sell of course.  If someone
> knows what they want, they buy it.   I find too that upselling the radio is
> not productive either.  Once someone has a radio they will need antennas,
> feed lines, maybe a tuner, wire, rope, books, power poles, antenna analyzer
> - all that stuff is the really great stuff J  Also, if someone gets a lot of
> books, they will learn other aspects of the hobby and  get another radio and
> the cycle repeats.
>

> Geoff
>
> W1GCF

> Message delivered to [hidden email]

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: Are there any "bad radios"?

Nate Bargmann
Yes!

Heathkit HW-5400--run away!!!!

After that they're all fairly decent.

New ops will benefit most from understanding and learning to use the
attenuator, when to use the RF preamp (if controllable) or not, and
understanding and learning to use the RF gain effectively.  These are
the basics of about any receiver on the market today and should be
mastered.  After that other aspects of the receiver can be mastered.

73, Nate, N0NB

possible worlds.  The pessimist fears this is true."

Web: https://www.n0nb.us
Projects: https://github.com/N0NB

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: Are there any "bad radios"?

Hal Massey
You may be ignoring the fact that there are far more bad operators than bad radios...

> On Jun 13, 2021, at 14:26, David Gilbert <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> I think you're ignoring that what might not be "bad" for the user could still be bad for everyone else.
>
> In my opinion, poorly designed radios shouldn't be supported by the user base, period ... and that includes the people who make recommendations.
>
> Dave  AB7E
>

> On 6/13/2021 12:10 PM, Geoffrey Feldman wrote:
>> Having worked retailing amateur radios, people often ask which is best.
>> Also often they are absolutely convinced they know the answer because their
>> Elmer said so.   When I review what someone actually wants to do with the
>> hobby and get a sense of their budget, I can advise them.  A new Ham often
>> hasn't a clear idea what they want to do.  Knowing most of what is
>> available, there are no truly "bad radios" that would be unsuited for anyone
>> at all.  Not everyone can afford "the best".  Not everyone can use the best.
>> New operators may not even be able to manage a ton of fancier features. New
>> Hams may not know there is more to the hobby than whatever their Elmer has
>> locked on to (20+ years ago).   Life in an HOA or a city with much RFI
>> directs from most expensive and top of the line towards something portable.
>> The visibility provided by  a Pan Adapter function is especially important.
>> Personally I have a KX3, PX3, KXPA100.  I also own an IC 7300.  My
>> recommendations at work would tend to what I can sell of course.  If someone
>> knows what they want, they buy it.   I find too that upselling the radio is
>> not productive either.  Once someone has a radio they will need antennas,
>> feed lines, maybe a tuner, wire, rope, books, power poles, antenna analyzer
>> - all that stuff is the really great stuff J  Also, if someone gets a lot of
>> books, they will learn other aspects of the hobby and  get another radio and
>> the cycle repeats.
>>

>> Geoff
>>
>> W1GCF

>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

>> Message delivered to [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>

> Post: mailto:[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>
> This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net <http://www.qsl.net/>
> Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html <http://www.qsl.net/donate.html>
> Message delivered to [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: Are there any "bad radios"?

David Gilbert-2

I'm not ignoring that at all, and I don't know what in my post makes you
think I am.    I've been in lots of contests where the operator is
either unwittingly or intentionally putting trash on the band (there are
hams on the Contesting reflector who have publicly admitted
intentionally creating clicks to give themselves more elbow room), but
it doesn't change the fact that there are also some pretty poor
transmitters out there that were purchased by people who either didn't
know it or didn't care.

Dave  AB7E

On 6/14/2021 8:46 AM, Hal Massey wrote:

> [...]
>>> radio is
>>> not productive either.  Once someone has a radio they will need
>>> antennas,
>>> feed lines, maybe a tuner, wire, rope, books, power poles, antenna
>>> analyzer
>>> - all that stuff is the really great stuff J  Also, if someone gets
>>> a lot of
>>> books, they will learn other aspects of the hobby and  get another
>>> radio and
>>> the cycle repeats.
>>>

>>> Geoff
>>>
>>> W1GCF

>>> Post: mailto:[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>>>
>>> This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net <http://www.qsl.net>
>>> <http://www.qsl.net/donate.html>
>>> Message delivered [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>

>> Post:mailto:[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>

Aren’t the radios inanimate objects?  Therefore it must be the operators that are accountable.

> On Jun 14, 2021, at 12:49, David Gilbert <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> I'm not ignoring that at all, and I don't know what in my post makes you think I am.    I've been in lots of contests where the operator is either unwittingly or intentionally putting trash on the band (there are hams on the Contesting reflector who have publicly admitted intentionally creating clicks to give themselves more elbow room), but it doesn't change the fact that there are also some pretty poor transmitters out there that were purchased by people who either didn't know it or didn't care.
>
> Dave  AB7E
>

> On 6/14/2021 8:46 AM, Hal Massey wrote:
>> You may be ignoring the fact that there are far more bad operators than bad radios...
>>
>>> On Jun 13, 2021, at 14:26, David Gilbert <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>>

>>> I think you're ignoring that what might not be "bad" for the user could still be bad for everyone else.
>>>
>>> In my opinion, poorly designed radios shouldn't be supported by the user base, period ... and that includes the people who make recommendations.
>>>
>>> Dave  AB7E

>>> Post: mailto:[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>>>
>>> This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net <http://www.qsl.net/>
>>> Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html <http://www.qsl.net/donate.html>
>>> Message delivered to [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: Are there any "bad radios"?

Julia Tuttle
I'd say all of these are true:

Radios may be faulty in ways that cause problems, stations with functional
radios be configured in ways that cause problems, and functional stations
may operated in ways that cause problems.

Hams should be *held responsible*, but should not be *condemned*, if  their
stations are causing problems and they're not aware.

Hams should inform each other politely if their stations are causing
problems, and should fix their stations if so informed.

Hams may condemn each other if they knowingly continue to operate a station
that is causing problems.

You can't always point a finger at the radio, station configuration, or
operator in isolation, and it's not generally helpful anyway.

"What constitutes a problem?" is still a pretty open question though.

73,

Julie

On Mon, Jun 14, 2021, 18:01 Hal Massey <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Aren’t the radios inanimate objects?  Therefore it must be the operators
> that are accountable.
>
> > On Jun 14, 2021, at 12:49, David Gilbert <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >

> > I'm not ignoring that at all, and I don't know what in my post makes you
> think I am.    I've been in lots of contests where the operator is either
> unwittingly or intentionally putting trash on the band (there are hams on
> the Contesting reflector who have publicly admitted intentionally creating
> clicks to give themselves more elbow room), but it doesn't change the fact
> that there are also some pretty poor transmitters out there that were
> purchased by people who either didn't know it or didn't care.
> >
> > Dave  AB7E
> >

> > On 6/14/2021 8:46 AM, Hal Massey wrote:
> >> You may be ignoring the fact that there are far more bad operators than
> bad radios...

> could still be bad for everyone else.

> user base, period ... and that includes the people who make recommendations.

> best.
> their
> the
> often
> anyone
> the best.
> features. New
> Elmer has
> portable.
> important.
> someone
> radio is
> antennas,
> analyzer
> lot of
> radio and

> http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm>
> [hidden email]>

> http://www.qsl.net/donate.html>

> http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm>

> http://www.qsl.net/donate.html>
> [hidden email]>

> Message delivered to [hidden email]

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: Are there any "bad radios"?

Elecraft mailing list
Those that think there are bad radios now don’t remember those of 60s.  I hear the same signals that sound bad on the bands.  I hear amplified signal with no thought of overdriving.  I have seen CW almost as wide as a SSB.   I worked a PSK-31 station that was running 100 watts when I was 20 and he’s said solid copy.   The audio scope showed sidebands out of the digital area.
 The radios can be better but the operator seems to be most of the problem.  Tell them politely and hope they listen, but most will just continue. “CQ Contest”
Mark.  WB7TLK

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jun 14, 2021, at 3:34 PM, Julia Tuttle <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I'd say all of these are true:
>
> Radios may be faulty in ways that cause problems, stations with functional
> radios be configured in ways that cause problems, and functional stations
> may operated in ways that cause problems.
>
> Hams should be *held responsible*, but should not be *condemned*, if  their
> stations are causing problems and they're not aware.
>
> Hams should inform each other politely if their stations are causing
> problems, and should fix their stations if so informed.
>
> Hams may condemn each other if they knowingly continue to operate a station
> that is causing problems.
>
> You can't always point a finger at the radio, station configuration, or
> operator in isolation, and it's not generally helpful anyway.
>
> "What constitutes a problem?" is still a pretty open question though.
>
> 73,
>
> Julie
>
>> On Mon, Jun 14, 2021, 18:01 Hal Massey <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Aren’t the radios inanimate objects?  Therefore it must be the operators
>> that are accountable.

>>> I'm not ignoring that at all, and I don't know what in my post makes you
>> think I am.    I've been in lots of contests where the operator is either
>> unwittingly or intentionally putting trash on the band (there are hams on
>> the Contesting reflector who have publicly admitted intentionally creating
>> clicks to give themselves more elbow room), but it doesn't change the fact
>> that there are also some pretty poor transmitters out there that were
>> purchased by people who either didn't know it or didn't care.
>>>
>>> Dave  AB7E

>> bad radios...

>> could still be bad for everyone else.

>> user base, period ... and that includes the people who make recommendations.

>> best.
>> their
>> the
>> often
>> anyone
>> the best.
>> features. New
>> Elmer has
>> portable.
>> important.
>> someone
>> radio is
>> antennas,
>> analyzer
>> lot of
>> radio and

>> http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm>
>> [hidden email]>

>> http://www.qsl.net/donate.html>

>> http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm>

>> http://www.qsl.net/donate.html>
>> [hidden email]>

>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

>> Message delivered to [hidden email]

> Message delivered to [hidden email]

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: Are there any "bad radios"?

Don Wilhelm-5
The 50s and the 60s had a lot of radios that did not meet the current
FCC requirements.  Clicks and chirps were quite evident on the bands.
Some were gradually culled out as those radios were taken out of
service, but I think it was not until the 90s that we saw a great
reduction in those radios.
This was not operator faults, but deficiencies with the radios.

In modern times, many hams overdrive their radios resulting in bad
performance, and that can be termed operator problems, assuming he is
using a clean radio.

Those who intentionally produce clicks or turn the mic gain up so high
as to splatter should be ashamed.  One can make plenty of contacts in a
contest with a clean signal.
I have operated a K3 in crowded band conditions - Field Day - and there
were only a few stations that could not be worked.

Now, if each radio had a hand to slap the operator in the forehead when
he was transmitting a dirty signal, that might bring an end to this
problem.  In the meantime, it is up to other operators to call out dirty
signals.
Straight Key Night were some drag out their 1950s and 1960s rigs may be
an exception to this "rule".

On 6/14/2021 7:41 PM, Mark via Elecraft wrote:
> Those that think there are bad radios now don’t remember those of 60s.  I hear the same signals that sound bad on the bands.

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: Are there any "bad radios"?

Hal Massey
Training shouldn’t be overlooked. When did it become ok to not know what your transmitter was doing?

> On Jun 14, 2021, at 16:32, Julia Tuttle <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I'd say all of these are true:
>
> Radios may be faulty in ways that cause problems, stations with functional radios be configured in ways that cause problems, and functional stations may operated in ways that cause problems.
>
> Hams should be *held responsible*, but should not be *condemned*, if  their stations are causing problems and they're not aware.
>
> Hams should inform each other politely if their stations are causing problems, and should fix their stations if so informed.
>
> Hams may condemn each other if they knowingly continue to operate a station that is causing problems.
>
> You can't always point a finger at the radio, station configuration, or operator in isolation, and it's not generally helpful anyway.
>
> "What constitutes a problem?" is still a pretty open question though.
>
> 73,
>
> Julie
>
> On Mon, Jun 14, 2021, 18:01 Hal Massey <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
> Aren’t the radios inanimate objects?  Therefore it must be the operators that are accountable.
>
> > On Jun 14, 2021, at 12:49, David Gilbert <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
> >

> > I'm not ignoring that at all, and I don't know what in my post makes you think I am.    I've been in lots of contests where the operator is either unwittingly or intentionally putting trash on the band (there are hams on the Contesting reflector who have publicly admitted intentionally creating clicks to give themselves more elbow room), but it doesn't change the fact that there are also some pretty poor transmitters out there that were purchased by people who either didn't know it or didn't care.
> >
> > Dave  AB7E
> >

> > On 6/14/2021 8:46 AM, Hal Massey wrote:
> >> You may be ignoring the fact that there are far more bad operators than bad radios...

> Post: mailto:[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>
> This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net <http://www.qsl.net/>
> Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html <http://www.qsl.net/donate.html>
> Message delivered to [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Are there any "bad radios"?

ANDY DURBIN
"Tell them politely and hope they listen, but most will just continue."

That's not my experience.  Several times I have emailed screen shots showing dirty digital mode signals and offered to help resolve the problem.  In most case the operator was pleased to have been notified and fixed the problem.

73,
Andy, k3wyc

Message delivered to [hidden email]