Aux cable for KPA500

John_N1JM
Have most of been ordering the aux cable with the amp? I'm just trying to see if it's worth having.

73, John N1JM

Re: Aux cable for KPA500

w0mu
Yes.  It allows quite a bit of flexibility.  If the amp is in standby
the radio can be set to 100w out.  When the amp is in OPER mode the
radio will lower the power to the output of your choosing.

Mike W0MU

W0MU-1 CC Cluster w0mu.net

On 12/9/2011 7:39 AM, John_N1JM wrote:

> Have most of been ordering the aux cable with the amp? I'm just trying to see
> if it's worth having.
>
> 73, John N1JM

Re: Aux cable for KPA500

Jim Sheldon
The AUX cable is necessary if you want the K3 to set the proper drive level to the KPA500 when you switch it to OPERATE and revert to 100 watts (or whatever other power you had set) when you switch the KPA500 back to STANDBY or turn it off.  The RS-232 connection on the amp is used only for updates to the internal firmware and not to communicate with the K3.

If you don't use other features that are available on the K3's AUX connector, you could build up a cable yourself, but DO NOT use a computer VGA MONITOR cable as it's wired differently and won't work properly according to the KPA500 manual.

I like the Y connection as I do use the AUX connection on the K3 for direct FSK and PTT input from my RTTY program.  That way I can keep the K3 in FSK-D and run the CW paddles for a quick DX QSO if I don't want to start up MMTTY for a more detailed RTTY operation.  If I do run MMTTY, I don't have to swap modes on the K3 since I'm already in FSK-D mode rather than AFSK (FSK-A).

Jim - W0EB

> Have most of been ordering the aux cable with the amp? I'm just
> trying to see
> if it's worth having.
>
> 73, John N1JM

Re: Aux cable for KPA500

John_N1JM
Thanks for all the replies. Looks like I will order the aux cable.

73, John N1JM