BAND+ push button failure...

Steve Kallal
I just did the AF-Gain-Control Mod on my older K2 sn 2289. After
reassembly, the gray BAND+ is starting to fail. It is used a lot for
KDSP2  programming and does always recognize a push and hold function
now. It often interprets it as a momentary push.

I could and should just order the new part from Elecraft. I wonder if
some contact cleaner spray would help? I have some Radio Shack spray
cleaner already. I would like to hear from others on this reflector
first. It is odd that the failure started just after completely removing
the front panel and reassembling it.

73,

Steve N6VL
K2/100 sn 2289

Re: BAND+ push button failure...

Don Wilhelm-4
Steve,

As you said is only started after disassembling the front panel, I would
suggest looking for some other cause than the button itself.  Check the
soldering of the pushbutton well.  If you do disassemble the board from
the front panel again, you might try soldering the pushbutton from the
top - the leads do not stick very far through the holes and it may not
have been heated adequately in the initial soldering process.

Pushbutton failures are rare.  They are sealed, so I do not think the
cleaner spray would be effective, but it may be worth a try.  If you
remove the left side panel, you can get to the edge of the pushbutton
without disassembling anything else.

The microprocessor interprets the tap/hold selection, not the pushbutton
itself - of course the contacts could be bouncing and causing the
problem, but a bad solder connection might also behave that way too.

Steve Kallal wrote:

> I just did the AF-Gain-Control Mod on my older K2 sn 2289. After
> reassembly, the gray BAND+ is starting to fail. It is used a lot for
> KDSP2  programming and does always recognize a push and hold function
> now. It often interprets it as a momentary push.
>
> I could and should just order the new part from Elecraft. I wonder if
> some contact cleaner spray would help? I have some Radio Shack spray
> cleaner already. I would like to hear from others on this reflector
> first. It is odd that the failure started just after completely
> removing the front panel and reassembling it.

Re: BAND+ push button failure...

Steve Kallal
Don,

I just spent most of the afternoon going over every trace that is part
of the connection between the Front Panel, RF, & Control boards looking
for solder bridges and frayed wires. Remember this started as a volume
control mod requiring cuts and jumpers on all the above boards.

That said, I noticed the BAND+ tap/hold works every time if I push the
button differently. I normally push the button horizontally, that is
towards the rear of the rig. The tap/hold function works every thing if
I press vertically towards the bottom of the rig. That makes me suspect
the switch is going bad. It doesn't explain why the problem just started
after my other volume control mod.

I will probably order some switches from Elecraft and see if that fixes it.

73,

Steve N6VL

Don Wilhelm wrote:

> Steve,
>
> As you said is only started after disassembling the front panel, I
> would suggest looking for some other cause than the button itself.
> Check the soldering of the pushbutton well.  If you do disassemble the
> board from the front panel again, you might try soldering the
> pushbutton from the top - the leads do not stick very far through the
> holes and it may not have been heated adequately in the initial
> soldering process.
>
> Pushbutton failures are rare.  They are sealed, so I do not think the
> cleaner spray would be effective, but it may be worth a try.  If you
> remove the left side panel, you can get to the edge of the pushbutton
> without disassembling anything else.
>
> The microprocessor interprets the tap/hold selection, not the
> pushbutton itself - of course the contacts could be bouncing and
> causing the problem, but a bad solder connection might also behave
> that way too.

Re: BAND+ push button failure...

Don Wilhelm-4
Steve,

That certainly sounds like you have one of those rare occurrences - a
bad switch.  It certainly can happen - actually most any part can fail
at times, but a bad switch is quite low on my list of usual suspects.

Steve Kallal wrote:

> Don,
>
> I just spent most of the afternoon going over every trace that is part
> of the connection between the Front Panel, RF, & Control boards
> looking for solder bridges and frayed wires. Remember this started as
> a volume control mod requiring cuts and jumpers on all the above boards.
>
> That said, I noticed the BAND+ tap/hold works every time if I push the
> button differently. I normally push the button horizontally, that is
> towards the rear of the rig. The tap/hold function works every thing
> if I press vertically towards the bottom of the rig. That makes me
> suspect the switch is going bad. It doesn't explain why the problem
> just started after my other volume control mod.
>
> I will probably order some switches from Elecraft and see if that
> fixes it.

Re: BAND+ push button failure...

Alan Bloom
On Sun, 2008-07-13 at 18:26, Don Wilhelm wrote:
> Steve,
>
> That certainly sounds like you have one of those rare occurrences - a
> bad switch.  It certainly can happen - actually most any part can fail
> at times, but a bad switch is quite low on my list of usual suspects.
>
> 73,
> Don W3FPR

I have a 20-year-old Advantest R4136 microwave spectrum analyzer that I
acquired several years ago in non-working condition.  The sympton was
that every one of the fifty (!) pushbutton switches on the front panel
did not work.  Initially, I was sure it couldn't be that every switch
had gone bad - it had to be a bad interface IC, unseated connector,
malfunctioning microprocessor, etc.

You guessed it - every single one of those 50 switches had indeed
failed.  (Confirmed by the fact that I could toggle each switch function
by bridging each pair of contacts with a clip lead.)  I ended up
disassembling every switch, cleaning the internal contacts with a Q-tip
dipped in alcohol and reassembling.  It took me a couple hours to do all
50 switches.

The instrument works great now.

Al N1AL

Re: BAND+ push button failure...

Steve Kallal
Don,

I am about to change my mind. Now I am having a flaky response from the
XFIL button, much the same symptoms.

I already went through the Front Panel, Control, & RF boards earlier
today. Now I am out of ideas. I must of jarred something loose when do
the volume control mod.

73,

Steve Kallal

Don Wilhelm wrote:
> Steve,
>
> That certainly sounds like you have one of those rare occurrences - a
> bad switch.  It certainly can happen - actually most any part can fail
> at times, but a bad switch is quite low on my list of usual suspects.
>
> 73,
> Don W3FPR

Re: BAND+ push button failure...

Vic K2VCO
Steve Kallal wrote:
> Don,
>
> I am about to change my mind. Now I am having a flaky response from the
> XFIL button, much the same symptoms.
>
> I already went through the Front Panel, Control, & RF boards earlier
> today. Now I am out of ideas. I must of jarred something loose when do
> the volume control mod.

Don probably already suggested this, but I bet you forgot to solder
something somewhere. When the board flexes, the connection opens and
closes. It doesn't need to be the front panel board; it could be the
connectors on the RF board since you said that pushing downward has an
effect.

It didn't have to be something you did during the mod. An unsoldered
connection can work for a long time!
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco

Re: BAND+ push button failure...

K8MM
The most frequently used push button switches (for me they are BAND+, BAND-, MENU, MODE, XFIL, A/B, A=B) do go bad after a while. I own a pair of K2/100's and I've had to replace all of the switches I've already mentioned on each rig.

I'm friends with a couple of other local hams and they have had to replace some their frequently used switches on their K2's as well. So its not really that rare of an occurrence as they do start to malfunction after a while.

73,
Ian - K8MM

Steve Kallal wrote:
> Don,
>
> I just spent most of the afternoon going over every trace that is part
> of the connection between the Front Panel, RF, & Control boards
> looking for solder bridges and frayed wires. Remember this started as
> a volume control mod requiring cuts and jumpers on all the above boards.
>
> That said, I noticed the BAND+ tap/hold works every time if I push the
> button differently. I normally push the button horizontally, that is
> towards the rear of the rig. The tap/hold function works every thing
> if I press vertically towards the bottom of the rig. That makes me
> suspect the switch is going bad. It doesn't explain why the problem
> just started after my other volume control mod.
>
> I will probably order some switches from Elecraft and see if that
> fixes it.

Re: BAND+ push button failure...

AD6XY
Switches do fail, especially if only taking a light current. Advantest spectrum analysers were famous for it. You might try some switch cleaner but replacement may be the only option if the switch is sealed. The other possibility is the solder contacts have failed somewhere through repeated flexing. This may well be completely invisible on inspection. The cure is to re-melt the solder on all the joints. The most likely contacts are those on the switch, but also check the multiway headers.

Mike

K8MM wrote

Steve Kallal wrote:
> Don,
>
> I just spent most of the afternoon going over every trace that is part
> of the connection between the Front Panel, RF, & Control boards
> looking for solder bridges and frayed wires. Remember this started as
> a volume control mod requiring cuts and jumpers on all the above boards.
>
> That said, I noticed the BAND+ tap/hold works every time if I push the
> button differently. I normally push the button horizontally, that is
> towards the rear of the rig. The tap/hold function works every thing
> if I press vertically towards the bottom of the rig. That makes me
> suspect the switch is going bad. It doesn't explain why the problem
> just started after my other volume control mod.
>
> I will probably order some switches from Elecraft and see if that
> fixes it.

Re: BAND+ push button failure...

.hank.
Not at all rare on a well used K2!
On two K2s I changed Mode, A/B, A=B, PRE/ATT, AGC, & XFIL and a couple others.
The A/B and A=B were the worst (and most frustrating when they would bounce).
On one of them a new switch bounces, but only occasionally.   I bought 24 switches
and have about a half dozen left.

73    Hank    K8DD

<quote author="K8MM">
The most frequently used push button switches (for me they are BAND+, BAND-, MENU, MODE, XFIL, A/B, A=B) do go bad after a while. I own a pair of K2/100's and I've had to replace all of the switches I've already mentioned on each rig.

I'm friends with a couple of other local hams and they have had to replace some their frequently used switches on their K2's as well. So its not really that rare of an occurrence as they do start to malfunction after a while.

73,
Ian - K8MM

Re: BAND+ push button failure...

K8MM
Reheating the solder joints was the first thing it tried to fix it, but bad solder joints weren't causing the problem. Replacing the switches was an easy fix.

I use my K2/100's almost daily for dx'ing and contesting so they get a very good workout. The only thing I've ever had to fix in 8 years, that wasn't caused by me doing something stupid, was to replace the worn out switches. I can't say the same for my previous radios from the big 3, that's why I have a pair of K2's sitting on my desk. That and the fact they were the only radios that can stand up to the AM BCB overload problem I had at my location with other rigs.

Ian

<quote author="AD6XY">