BCB sensitivity

KM5Q
Mike,

How do you tune the ATU optimally for BCB, since you can't transmit?

Windy KM5Q

> Sometimes the ATU helps and sometimes the ATU hurts signals on the
> BCB.

Re: BCB sensitivity

drewko
You can set the KAT3 menu config entry to LCSet. Exit the menu then
tap ATU TUNE. You can set the L and C values individually with the A
and B VFO controls. But it doesn't seem to make any difference in the
AM received signal as far as I can tell. I'm using a 100' wire for an
antenna.

73,
Drew
AF2Z

On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 22:53:52 -0600, KM5Q wrote:

>Mike,
>
>How do you tune the ATU optimally for BCB, since you can't transmit?
>
>Windy KM5Q
>
>> Sometimes the ATU helps and sometimes the ATU hurts signals on the
>> BCB.

Re: BCB sensitivity

drewko
Also, while dialing in the L and C values, tap ANT to switch between
CA and CT. However, it seems you can't adjust the two caps
independently; whatever value is dialed in for CA is duplicated for
CT, and vice versa. Is this a bug?

73,
Drew
AF2Z

On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 08:16:37 -0400, AF2Z wrote:

>You can set the KAT3 menu config entry to LCSet. Exit the menu then
>tap ATU TUNE. You can set the L and C values individually with the A
>and B VFO controls. But it doesn't seem to make any difference in the
>AM received signal as far as I can tell. I'm using a 100' wire for an
>antenna.
>
>73,
>Drew
>AF2Z

Re: BCB sensitivity

drewko
Ok..., it seems the ANT switch, which is supposed to be switching
between CA and CT while in the LCSet mode, is actually switching
antennas as it would do in normal operation. I guess this is a bug,
unless I'm doing something wrong here...

73,
Drew
AF2Z

On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 08:30:44 -0400, AF2Z wrote:

>Also, while dialing in the L and C values, tap ANT to switch between
>CA and CT. However, it seems you can't adjust the two caps
>independently; whatever value is dialed in for CA is duplicated for
>CT, and vice versa. Is this a bug?
>
>73,
>Drew
>AF2Z
>

>On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 08:16:37 -0400, AF2Z wrote:
>
>>You can set the KAT3 menu config entry to LCSet. Exit the menu then
>>tap ATU TUNE. You can set the L and C values individually with the A
>>and B VFO controls. But it doesn't seem to make any difference in the
>>AM received signal as far as I can tell. I'm using a 100' wire for an
>>antenna.
>>
>>73,
>>Drew
>>AF2Z

Re: BCB sensitivity

drewko
Ok, my final conclusion (i promise)....

Manually adjusting the L and C values of the ATU DOES have an effect
on BCB reception (had my RF gain turned down before, so seemed like
there was no difference). Maximum L (17.35 pH) gives maximum received
signal strength on a short antenna, as expected.

However, you can't adjust CA and CT independently. And checking all of
my pretuned bands the values for CA and CT on any given band are
equivalent (which seems odd). Furthermore, merely selecting between CA
and CT with the ANT button while in LCSet mode has an effect on the
received signal-- a couple of s-units difference between the two is
what I noticed. (But I don't think it is the antenna relay being
switched, as mentioned before.)

What I want to know is, are the displayed values for CA and CT
correct, and can they be adjusted independently of each other?

BTW, I am using F/W ver 2.13.

Thanks,

73,
Drew
AF2Z

On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 08:43:44 -0400, AF2Z wrote:

>Ok..., it seems the ANT switch, which is supposed to be switching
>between CA and CT while in the LCSet mode, is actually switching
>antennas as it would do in normal operation. I guess this is a bug,
>unless I'm doing something wrong here...
>
>73,
>Drew
>AF2Z

Re: BCB sensitivity

Vic K2VCO
[hidden email] wrote:

> Manually adjusting the L and C values of the ATU DOES have an effect
> on BCB reception (had my RF gain turned down before, so seemed like
> there was no difference). Maximum L (17.35 pH) gives maximum received
> signal strength on a short antenna, as expected.

> However, you can't adjust CA and CT independently. And checking all of
> my pretuned bands the values for CA and CT on any given band are
> equivalent (which seems odd). Furthermore, merely selecting between CA
> and CT with the ANT button while in LCSet mode has an effect on the
> received signal-- a couple of s-units difference between the two is
> what I noticed. (But I don't think it is the antenna relay being
> switched, as mentioned before.)

> What I want to know is, are the displayed values for CA and CT
> correct, and can they be adjusted independently of each other?

I believe this is a bug which I reported. If I remember properly, the
problem is that the values are not being displayed correctly.
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco

Re: BCB sensitivity

Chuck - AE4CW
Vic and Drew,

The ATU in the K3 is a low-pass "L" design which has a series inductance and *either* an input (Ct) *or* output (Ca) shunting capacitance.  There is only one capacitance in this desigh, not two.  The single capacitance is switched between the input (Ct side - transceiver) or output (Ca side - antenna) of the inductance.  So, when you are in CONFIG:KAT3 --> LCSET --> ATU TUNE, tapping ANT switches the capacitance between the input and output of the inductance.  You can hear the relay switch when tapping ANT and sometimes hear a distinct difference in the received signal.

In general the capacitance will need to be on the input (Ct) side when the antenna impedance is below 50 ohms and on the output side when the antenna impedance is greater than 50 ohm.

You can look at the circuit design in the K3 schematics (documentation page on the web) if you would  like to get a more detailed understanding.  Or, you could also look at a program like TLW (transmission line wizard) that will calculate and show you a picture of the correct values for a low-pass "L" ATU with any given values of antenna impedances.

Hope this helps!  73,

Chuck, AE4CW

Vic K2VCO wrote
drewko1@verizon.net wrote:

> However, you can't adjust CA and CT independently. And checking all of
> my pretuned bands the values for CA and CT on any given band are
> equivalent (which seems odd). Furthermore, merely selecting between CA
> and CT with the ANT button while in LCSet mode has an effect on the
> received signal-- a couple of s-units difference between the two is
> what I noticed. (But I don't think it is the antenna relay being
> switched, as mentioned before.)

> What I want to know is, are the displayed values for CA and CT
> correct, and can they be adjusted independently of each other?

I believe this is a bug which I reported. If I remember properly, the
problem is that the values are not being displayed correctly.
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco

---
Chuck, AE4CW

Re: BCB sensitivity

drewko
Ok, Chuck, thanks alot. That explains all. I was thinking it was a pi
with two capacitors.

So anyway, for BCB reception, the capacitor doesn't do much and you
would pretty much want to have maximum L, right?

73,
Drew
AF2Z

On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 09:03:02 -0700 (PDT), Chuck, AE4CW wrote:

>Vic and Drew,
>
>The ATU in the K3 is a low-pass "L" design which has a series inductance and
>*either* an input (Ct) *or* output (Ca) shunting capacitance.  There is only
>one capacitance in this desigh, not two.  The single capacitance is switched
>between the input (Ct side - transceiver) or output (Ca side - antenna) of
>the inductance.  So, when you are in CONFIG:KAT3 --> LCSET --> ATU TUNE,
>tapping ANT switches the capacitance between the input and output of the
>inductance.  You can hear the relay switch when tapping ANT and sometimes
>hear a distinct difference in the received signal.
>
>In general the capacitance will need to be on the input (Ct) side when the
>antenna impedance is below 50 ohms and on the output side when the antenna
>impedance is greater than 50 ohm.
>
>You can look at the circuit design in the K3 schematics (documentation page
>on the web) if you would  like to get a more detailed understanding.  Or,
>you could also look at a program like TLW (transmission line wizard) that
>will calculate and show you a picture of the correct values for a low-pass
>"L" ATU with any given values of antenna impedances.
>
>Hope this helps!  73,
>
>Chuck, AE4CW

Re: BCB sensitivity

Don Wilhelm-4
Drew,

For BCB operation using a 100 ft wire for an antenna (hopefully you also
connect to some form of ground screen), I would expect the inductance in
the KAT3 to be quite low.  I would suggest adding a supplemental
inductor  in series with the antenna wire.  I am not going to suggest
just how much, but you can experiment.  Using an antenna analyzer might
be informative if you can find one that goes that low.

[hidden email] wrote:

> Ok, Chuck, thanks alot. That explains all. I was thinking it was a pi
> with two capacitors.
>
> So anyway, for BCB reception, the capacitor doesn't do much and you
> would pretty much want to have maximum L, right?
>
> 73,
> Drew
> AF2Z
>

> On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 09:03:02 -0700 (PDT), Chuck, AE4CW wrote:
>

>> Vic and Drew,
>>
>> The ATU in the K3 is a low-pass "L" design which has a series inductance and
>> *either* an input (Ct) *or* output (Ca) shunting capacitance.  There is only
>> one capacitance in this desigh, not two.  The single capacitance is switched
>> between the input (Ct side - transceiver) or output (Ca side - antenna) of
>> the inductance.  So, when you are in CONFIG:KAT3 --> LCSET --> ATU TUNE,
>> tapping ANT switches the capacitance between the input and output of the
>> inductance.  You can hear the relay switch when tapping ANT and sometimes
>> hear a distinct difference in the received signal.
>>
>> In general the capacitance will need to be on the input (Ct) side when the
>> antenna impedance is below 50 ohms and on the output side when the antenna
>> impedance is greater than 50 ohm.
>>
>> You can look at the circuit design in the K3 schematics (documentation page
>> on the web) if you would  like to get a more detailed understanding.  Or,
>> you could also look at a program like TLW (transmission line wizard) that
>> will calculate and show you a picture of the correct values for a low-pass
>> "L" ATU with any given values of antenna impedances.
>>
>> Hope this helps!  73,
>>
>> Chuck, AE4CW

Re: BCB sensitivity

David Cutter
I forced my MFJ analyser to work in the broadcast band by simply adding a
silver mica cap in parallel with the tuning cap.

David
G3UNA