BFO Alignment

Carl-N8VZ

This past week I finally got back to kit construction, after a period of inactivity due in part to a death in my wife's family (her mother).  I'm now at the point of doing the BFO tests, etc., and have one measurement that's slightly outside the acceptable parameters.  My BFO low fre        q. is 4912.99 (should be less than 4912.70).  My question is is this small variance enough to worry about?  Everything else is looking very good in terms of the tests so far.  The other portions of my BFO tests results were BFO high freq. 4917.00 (greater than 4916.3) and my range was 4.01 (greater than 3.6)

A friend of mine, with an engineering background, who has built a K2, said he didn't think this was a big deal.  What do you guys and gals think?

73,

Carl
N8VZ
--
Carl J. Denbow, [hidden email] on 5/9/2004

You must subscribe to post.
Subscriber Info (Addr. Change, Unsub etc): http://mailman.qth.net/subscribers.htm
Elecraft page: http://www.elecraft.com

Re: BFO Alignment

Don Wilhelm-2
Carl,

Do check the capacitor values to be certain they are correct in the BFO area
(C173 and C174 in particular as well as the correct varactors at D37 and
D38 - 1SV149, the smaller ones with the flattened 'rounded' side)!!!

You are less than 300 Hz deficient on the low end, and that is not likely to
cause a problem unless you plan to install a SSB filter that is wider than
the stock K2 2.0 kHz filter.  Even at that, the usual problem woth the 2.5
kHz filter is on the high end rather than the low.

BTW - you can always change it later if it becomes a problem.

Life is what happens when you are making other plans