Bad joints on KPA100 again - with photo...

Bad joints on KPA100 again - with photo...

GS-3
Hi again,

just took a photo. You see it seems to affect only a special kind of hole (see picture). You can see on the picture that other holes work well.

http://www.gs-roboter.de/problem.htm

Iron is temp regulated at 330 deg C. Same like before. I already changed iron and solder. To no avail.

73 again.

RE: Bad joints on KPA100 again - with photo...

Bob Boehmer
Looks like the pads you are having problems with are connections to a ground
(or power) plane. These often require more heat than a pad that is connected
to a trace since the plane "wicks" the heat away.

73
Bob, WB3FXC

> Subject: [Elecraft] Bad joints on KPA100 again - with photo...
>

> Hi again,
>
> just took a photo. You see it seems to affect only a special
> kind of hole (see picture). You can see on the picture that
> other holes work well.
>
> http://www.gs-roboter.de/problem.htm
>
> Iron is temp regulated at 330 deg C. Same like before. I
> already changed iron and solder. To no avail.

Re: Bad joints on KPA100 again - with photo...

Rod N0RC
Gerhard,

The pads in your photo appear to be ground-plane pads. Ground-plane pads
require greater heat energy to solder, because the heat is absorbed and
radiated by the larger surface area. Increasing you soldering iron temp
to about 426 Deg C (800 Deg F) will solve this problem.

--
73, Rod N0RC

RE: Bad joints on KPA100 again - with photo...

Ron D'Eau Claire-2
Your iron is too cold, Gerhard!

I never solder below 375C to 400C. What's happening to you is that any pads
that are attached to the ground plane like the ones in your photo are losing
too much heat to the ground plane for solder to flow.

Ron AC7AC

just took a photo. You see it seems to affect only a special kind of hole
(see picture). You can see on the picture that other holes work well.

http://www.gs-roboter.de/problem.htm

Iron is temp regulated at 330 deg C. Same like before. I already changed
iron and solder. To no avail.

73 again.

RE: Bad joints on KPA100 again - with photo...

Bruce McLaughlin
I agree with all of the other comments about iron temperature.  I used
800 degrees as standard and had no trouble.  The only exception was when
soldering the big final transistor pads.  There I used the same
temperature but switched to a wider tip since my regular tip couldn't
transfer enough heat to overcome the considerable heat sinking effect of
the wider pads.

Another advantage of 800 degrees was that iron to part contact tip was
minimized and that was all to the good.

Bruce