Band Decoder

k9sd
 I need to get cracking on how and what to use for band decoders on my soon to be K3...

I currently use Top Ten boxes and haven't printed out the manual for the K3 as my printer is on the blink..

Does Top Ten make boxes for the K3 ??

is there a home brew model I can make....saving some $$ isn't a bad idea..

I have to get all my interface cables changed around so when the new baby arrives it has some place to hook it's little head into..ha ha

Life is good...

73/Sam  K9SD

Re: Band Decoder

Dick Dievendorff
I know of the Elecraft KRC2, the Top Ten Devices decoder for Yaesu, and
Unified Microsystems has a very affordable board for this application. I
would bet that both microHAM and Array Solutions have a solution in this
area as well.

You can certainly homebrew something if you're comfortable with a BCD to
parallel line decoder chip and the necessary relay drivers and pull-ups.

Dick, K6KR

Re: Band Decoder

Jack Brindle
Sam;

I would be remiss if I didn't point you at the Elecraft KRC2. It
connects to the K3's Aux IO port using the AuxBus data supported by
the K3. The KRC2 gives you up to 16 high (normally +12V, but can drive
up to 45 volts) and low-drive (sinking to 0 volts), directly
controlled by the K3. Take a look at the KRC2 at the Elecraft page.

The Top Ten box should also work with the K3. The K3 supports BCD
output on the Aux IO connector that can drive the Top Ten decoder. Of
coourse, we want you to use our devices, but if you already have the
Top Ten, then you should be able to use it.

Manuals for both the K3 and the KRC2, as well as our other products,
are available on the Elecraft web site. And you can view them on your
computer. You can print them if you really want to, but why use the
toner and paper unless you need to? Also, we include a very nicely
printed and bound copy of the manual with each product!

Enjoy your K3 when it arrives. And remember, if you need help, and the
great folks on the email list can't resolve the problem, our support
team is just an email away!

- Jack Brindle
Elecraft Engineering

On Apr 16, 2009, at 5:02 PM, k9sd wrote:

> I need to get cracking on how and what to use for band decoders on
> my soon to be K3...
>

> I currently use Top Ten boxes and haven't printed out the manual for
> the K3 as my printer is on the blink..
>

> Does Top Ten make boxes for the K3 ??
>
> is there a home brew model I can make....saving some $$ isn't a bad
> idea..
>
> I have to get all my interface cables changed around so when the new
> baby arrives it has some place to hook it's little head into..ha ha
>

> Life is good...
>

> 73/Sam  K9SD

Re: Band Decoder

Dave Hachadorian
The current version of the K3 (which has internal pull-up
resistors) should be directly compatible with the W9XT
decoder:
http://www.unifiedmicro.com/decoder.html
This unit provides a ground on the selected band. It does
not source +12V. If you can live with that limitation, it is
a bargain at $25.

Top Ten and Array Solutions are other sources of band
decoders with more features at higher prices.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, AZ

> I need to get cracking on how and what to use for band
> decoders on my soon to be K3...

Re: Band Decoder

Joe Subich, W4TV-4

> I would bet that both microHAM and
> Array Solutions have a solution in this area as well.

microHAM "Station Master" will interface via the RS-232
port and provide many station control functions.  The
old (discontinued) microHAM Band Decoder would support
either RS-232 (CAT) interface or a BCD (Yaesu style)
interface if you can find one used.

73,

   ... Joe Subich, W4TV
       microHAM America
       http://www.microHAM-USA.com
       [hidden email]

Re: Band Decoder

Dave Hawes
Sam,

The Top Ten Devices Yaesu decoders that you already own will work
perfectly with the K3.  All you need is a new radio interface cable.

Life is indeed good...

73 - Dave N3RD
TTD

On 16 Apr 2009 at 19:02, k9sd wrote:

>  I need to get cracking on how and what to use for band decoders on my soon to be K3...
>

> I currently use Top Ten boxes and haven't printed out the manual for the K3 as my printer is on the blink..
>

> Does Top Ten make boxes for the K3 ??
>
> is there a home brew model I can make....saving some $$ isn't a bad idea..
>
> I have to get all my interface cables changed around so when the new baby arrives it has some place to hook it's little head into..ha ha
>

> Life is good...
>

> 73/Sam  K9SD

Re: Band Decoder

W0FK
Sam, follow this link:

http://www.qth.com/topten/bdecoder.htm

Lou, W0FK

Dave Hawes wrote
Sam,

The Top Ten Devices Yaesu decoders that you already own will work
perfectly with the K3.  All you need is a new radio interface cable.
St. Louis, MO

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that
genius has its limits." Albert Einstein