Battery Charging

EMD

Battery Charging

EMD
This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Battery Charging

Don Wilhelm-4
Ed,

I am not sure why you chose the Elecraft reflector to ask a non-radio
related question, but here is my 2 cents worth (and it may be worth no
more than that since it is a SWAG)

More information needed.  Chargers that have linear power sources may
have a problem - the transformers are designed for 50 or 60 Hz current,
so the voltage out may not be as expected.

However, many of the cellphone and camera battery chargers use switching
circuitry, so my guess is that all may be well.

BUT, don't take my word for it, contact the supplier(s) of your charging
devices and ask what power line frequencies are acceptable for the
device in question.  If their technical staff cannot answer the
question, I suspect they have not tested it under those conditions.

On 10/29/2012 6:31 PM, EMD wrote:
> Boeing aircraft provides 110volts but the cycles are 400, not the standard
> 60.  My question is can charging a cellphone or camera battery at the higher
> cycle cause harm to the battery?
>
> 73, Ed

EMD

Re: Battery Charging

EMD
Thanks guys for your response to my Really OT question.  The reason I asked on this forum is because this is where the experts are, not at the Verizon store.  Every time I have asked this question at Verizon I get a blank stare which pretty much tells me all I need to know.

Sorry for the waste of band with...

Ed

Re: Battery Charging

M0AFJ
Not to be recommended Ed unless the plane has a 50/60Hz outlet. The switcher will not like it at all.
BTW 400Hz is standard for all aircraft including military.

Best regards, Tim Hague
Skype m0afj.Tim
Sent on my iPad

On 29 Oct 2012, at 22:31, EMD <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Boeing aircraft provides 110volts but the cycles are 400, not the standard
> 60.  My question is can charging a cellphone or camera battery at the higher
> cycle cause harm to the battery?
>
> 73, Ed
> k3env

Re: Battery Charging

Tim Groat
Using 400Hz power is risky, because the current in the RFI bypass
capacitors will much higher than normal. The leakage current through the
capacitors to the output and other accessible parts will be high,
possibly high enough to be a shock hazard. Running a 50-60Hz product
from 400Hz power may also cause early failure of those capacitors.

Follow the charger's marked input frequency rating, which almost always
will be 50-60Hz. A small variation for the tolerance of a
motor-generator is acceptable, but 667% of the maximum rated frequency
is no small variation!

--Tim (KR0U)

Re: Battery Charging

David Cutter
If it is true that all modern chargers and laptop supplies are switchmode
(?), I can't immediately see why they shouldn't run from a suitable dc
supply, since the first thing that happens in a switcher is to rectify the
mains.  Even my 5 year old stuff is universal input, ie very wide voltage
range.  So, they could pipe unregulated dc around the cabins.  Each outlet
would need to be equipped with a ptc protection device to protect the supply
and the load in case a conventional device was attached.  A plug-in
accessory with a bridge rectifier in it would also do the trick.

Sorry if this is getting off topic.

David
G3UNA