Big K2 (was "Kits I'd like to see in 2005")

Big K2 (was "Kits I'd like to see in 2005")

Able2fly

In a message dated 12/25/2004 12:43:31 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[hidden email] writes:

Hi  Bob,

That's a good idea IMHO.  A "full sized" K2 for those who  don't need small
size.  Give more importance to having room for  fingers to twist knobs
without hitting the ones close by and etc.   From what I'm seeing the
performance is up there with many of the "major"  brands so there just might
be a market for such a K2.... maybe the K2A1  Desktop rig.....  :-)

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to  all.

OK, Back in my hole.....

73,

Ron,  KU7Y

Re: Big K2 (was "Kits I'd like to see in 2005")

N2EY
In a message dated 12/26/04 2:48:52 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[hidden email] writes:

> A "full sized" K2 for those who  don't need small
> size.  Give more importance to having room for  fingers to twist knobs
> without hitting the ones close by and etc.   From what I'm seeing the
> performance is up there with many of the "major"  brands so there just might
>
> be a market for such a K2....

I'd love to see just that - a "K2Big"?

What would be really sweet, I think, is if it could be packaged so that you
could put all the options in the box at once - ATU, 100W amp, and say a 7 AH
battery. There could even be a separate heat sink for the 10W finals so they
wouldn't have to be undone from the case each time.

>From what I can see, such a package could be made by redoing the front panel
board and the case with a  muchlarger ones, leaving the rest almost as-is.
Main headache I can see is coming up with a replacement for the LCD readout.

I'd certainly go for a K2Big, as would at least some others. I'm sure Eric
and Wayne would produce one if they sensed a market that would support the cost
of producing such a variant. After all, a lot of the cost would be in
metalwork and related hardware rather than electronics.

There's also the basic philosophy of Elecraft that is focused mostly on QRP
and compactness. I'm sure the Aptos crew could come up with a really sweet QSK
legal-limit amp if they wanted to...but that's not what they are focused on.

I think that a lot of K2 owners, particularly contesters and DXers, get
around the small size of the K2 by using computer control. That way they have a
small rig for portable use and a big computer display for home use. The big
remote knob (CRS* is causing me to block on its real name) gives a nice ergonomic
interface for tuning and RIT.

Of course there's always abject begging and pleading...

73 de Jim, N2EY

(if somebody with my big paws can build a K2, almost anybody can...)

test

I0SKK - Alessandro Santucci

Just for test. SRI

I0SKK