Bio-Lite Stove & Charger

Jim Chick-2
This is little more than a very expensive novelty with a poor output and the other serious disadvantages previously mentioned, if you only require a 2 watt output it can be achieved for a fraction of the price using  a solar charger.

Jim Chick
G4NWJ

Re: Bio-Lite Stove & Charger

Cookie
The Bio-Lite was not advertised to power a QRP rig.  It is sold as an efficient camp stove and house stove for 3rd world countries and it will charge a cell phone or iPhone as an added advantage.  Of course there are cheaper ways to charge a cell phone or power a QRP rig, but powering a QRP rig was a product of this ham radio on the brain group.  It is attractive to me as a way to cook food or boil water after a hurricane and it might be worth the price as we do have a lot of broken trees for fuel after a storm.

Willis 'Cookie' Cooke
K5EWJ & Trustee N5BPS, USS Cavalla, USS Stewart

________________________________
This is little more than a very expensive novelty with a poor output and the other serious disadvantages previously mentioned, if you only require a 2 watt output it can be achieved for a fraction of the price using  a solar charger.

Jim Chick
G4NWJ

Re: Bio-Lite Stove & Charger

k6dgw
On 7/16/2012 3:27 PM, Jim - yahoo wrote:
> This is little more than a very expensive novelty with a poor output
> and the other serious disadvantages previously mentioned, if you only
> require a 2 watt output it can be achieved for a fraction of the
> price using  a solar charger.

Ahhh yes Mate, but what if you're in the Arctic in December [or
Antarctic in June]?  That big dark spell when I was in N. Alaska felt
much longer than it really was, probably because it was so very dark ...
A L L the time. :-)  Never been so glad to see the sun peek over the
horizon.  You're right though and "novelty" is a good term.

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2012 Cal QSO Party 6-7 Oct 2012
- www.cqp.org

Re: Bio-Lite Stove & Charger

Rich Ardolino
However, the solar panels don't work at all night and output is diminished on overcast and cloud cover days....the Bio-Lite will work anytime as long as you have something to burn in it. I agree its an expensive (initial cost) gadget but could be better than nothing in some circumstances.......and it is also useful for heating/cooking, etc.

Rich A.  K2CPE
K2 #1102

This is little more than a very expensive novelty with a poor output and the other serious disadvantages previously mentioned, if you only require a 2 watt output it can be achieved for a fraction of the price using  a solar charger.

Jim Chick
G4NWJ

Re: Bio-Lite Stove & Charger

David Cutter
It would be interesting to see a Jetboil cooker combined with a modern
thermopile.

It brings to mind what you would need for a minimalist radio station to
cover a 24 hour field day contest including food, fuel, staying safe and
warm.  All good practice for emergency/remote/SOTA operations.

What happened to the 100 pound (46kg) challenge?

David
G3UNA