Birdy on 28020 with K2?

Tom Althoff
I'm getting a birdy near 28.020MHz with my K2/100.   Is there anything that can be done to eliminate this or move it a few kHz?

Tom K2TA
K2 #1117

Re: Birdy on 28020 with K2?

G3VVT
I monitor 28.020 for long periods with my K2 for a VHF beacon on 70.020 MHz
that transverts to that frequency. No detectable birdy in my QRP K2 at all on
this frequency.

Bob, G3VVT
K2 #4168

Re: Birdy on 28020 with K2?

Ken G3WCS
Hi Tom,

> I monitor 28.020 for long periods with my K2 for a VHF beacon on 70.020 MHz
> that transverts to that frequency. No detectable birdy in my QRP K2 at all on
> this frequency.

I just checked mine also, with and without an antenna connected. Could
not hear any birdie here.

Could it be something generated in your shack which is making it into
the K2 via power or other wiring?

Happy New Year.

Ken.

--

Ken G3WCS <[hidden email]>
IO83rh : Cheshire : NW England

Re: Birdy on 28020 with K2?

John Lonigro
 I found a birdie at 28.000 (QRP K2 #3401), but that's too close to the
band edge to worry about.  None at 28.020.  I'm guessing my birdie is a
harmonic of the 4.00 MHz oscillator.  Is it possible your tuning is off
by 20 KHz?  Until I got it right, my K2 dial clibration was off quite a
bit on 10M.  Good luck.

73's and happy new year,

John AA0VE

Tom Althoff wrote:

>I'm getting a birdy near 28.020MHz with my K2/100.   Is there anything that can be done to eliminate this or move it a few kHz?
>
>Tom K2TA
>K2 #1117

Re: Birdy on 28020 with K2?

G3VVT

[hidden email] writes:

I found a birdie at 28.000 (QRP K2 #3401), but that's too close to the
band edge to worry about.  None at 28.020.  I'm guessing my  birdie is a
harmonic of the 4.00 MHz oscillator.

-------------------

Do confirm this low level birdy on 28.000MHz USB/LSB on my QRP K2.

Bob, G3VVT
K2 #4168

Re: Birdy on 28020 with K2?

n6wg
Can you tell if it is coming in from outside, or generated internally?
73, Bob N6WG

Re: Birdy on 28020 with K2?

Douglas Westover
No birdy on 28.020 here.

Happy New Year All.

Doug,
W6JD

> I monitor 28.020 for long periods with my K2 for a VHF beacon on 70.020
MHz
> that transverts to that frequency. No detectable birdy in my QRP K2 at all
on

> this frequency.
>
> Bob, G3VVT
> K2 #4168

Re: Birdy on 28020 with K2?

Tom Arntzen
Hi Tom!
I confirm your birdie on 28020.
I have a birdie at 28019,27 cw and cwr falling slightly during warmup.
Since I know that you have a K2/100 and none of the others that answered you
I can confirm that the birdie is from KPA100.
If you turn power down to 10watts or less the birdie goes away.
I also think that you will find a birdie at 28265 +/- that slightly changes
when toggling between 10/11 watts.
Also reason to think KPA100 is the source.
It stands something in the manual for KPA100 that 4Mhz osc. can be finetuned
to raise the 4Mhz so it lays outside USA 75meter , but nothing mentioned
about 10 meter.
My 28019 birdie does not light up the smeter and is quite narrow so during
normal qso it does not bother to much. It's about 50-60 hz wide.
Maybee Elecraft can help more on this.

Have a happy new year 2k5.
Tom LA1PHA K2/100 3829

Re: Birdy on 28020 with K2?

Laurie Landry
Hi to All
    I also have a birdie around 28000 and it does not come from the outside.
Switching to antenna 2 changes nothing.  I believe it's a harmonic of 4 MHz.
Laurie, VE1AWJ
> I have a birdie at 28019,27 cw and cwr falling slightly during warmup.
> Since I know that you have a K2/100 and none of the others that answered
you
> I can confirm that the birdie is from KPA100.
> If you turn power down to 10watts or less the birdie goes away.
> I also think that you will find a birdie at 28265 +/- that slightly
changes
> when toggling between 10/11 watts.
> Also reason to think KPA100 is the source.
> It stands something in the manual for KPA100 that 4Mhz osc. can be
finetuned

> to raise the 4Mhz so it lays outside USA 75meter , but nothing mentioned
> about 10 meter.
> My 28019 birdie does not light up the smeter and is quite narrow so during
> normal qso it does not bother to much. It's about 50-60 hz wide.
> Maybee Elecraft can help more on this.
>
> Have a happy new year 2k5.
> Tom LA1PHA K2/100 3829

Re: Birdy on 28020 with K2?

Lou Roux-2
Hi all,

I also have the birdie at 28018.46. It definatally comes from the KAT100
because when I turn the power to the low position it goes away.

Lou - W6UR
K2/100 #3578

Re: Birdy on 28020 with K2?

Tom Althoff
Definitely internal.   I'm going to try to tweak the crystal osc in the
KPA-100.  The procedure called for setting it above 4.000 but I may drop it
down to 3.999 and keep it below 28.000.

I suspect that will take care of the problem.

73 de Tom K2TA
> Can you tell if it is coming in from outside, or generated internally?
> 73, Bob N6WG

RE: Birdy on 28020 with K2?

Sverre Holm

From: [hidden email]
[mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Tom Arntzen

I have a birdie at 28019,27 cw and cwr falling slightly during warmup.
Since I know that you have a K2/100 and none of the others that answered you
I can confirm that the birdie is from KPA100.
I also think that you will find a birdie at 28265 +/- that slightly changes
when toggling

---------------------------

Here's a hypothesis for how the two birdies could be created from the
KPA100:

1. Assume a newer KPA100 with oscillator around 18432 (not the old one at
16289).
2. Its 6. harmonic is 110592 kHz
3. To receive 28016.4 kHz, the K2's VFO frequency is 28016.4 - 4915 =
23101.4
4. The VFO's 5. harmonic is 23101.4*5 = 115507
5. The difference between the harmonics of the two oscillators is 115507 -
110592 = 4915
6. 4915 kHz is right in the middle of the IF passband of the K2.

In order to get a match at 28019 kHz as has been reported, the KPA100
oscillator has to be shifted to 18434.1

A birdie at 28262 is easier to explain as the image frequency is
28262-2*4915 = 18432 = KPA100 oscillator. 28264 has its image at 18434.

Thus if the 18432kHz KPA100 oscillator actually is at 18434, a weak birdie
at 28019 and probably a stronger one at 28264 can be explained. Does this
make sense?

73

Sverre
LA3ZA
http://www.qsl.net/la3za/

Re: Birdy on 28020 with K2?

Tom Althoff
Yes..its the HV osc...I can make a theramin out of the diode/capacitor
strings.   Sadly..there is no trimmer cap that I can tweak.  But lowering
the power to get the KPA-100 to drop out kills the birdy which is fine in a
pinch if there is a new country ... Like the 5T5 that has been hanging out
on 28020.

73 de Tom K2TA

Re: Birdy on 28020 with K2?

Tom Hammond-3
For what it may be worth, if you have an older KPA100 (not sure what
'vintage' actually qualified it as 'older' though, mine's as old as the
come... an FT unit from before they hit the streets), but there is a mod
(available from me, and I think somewhere on the Elecraft web site) to help
eliminate, or at lease significantly reduce spurs from the KPA100 HV
oscillator. Once a couple components. I have the illustrations for the mod,
but NOT spare parts.

Just ask.

73,

Tom    N0SS

At 02:50 PM 1/2/05, Tom Althoff wrote:

>Yes..its the HV osc...I can make a theramin out of the diode/capacitor
>strings.   Sadly..there is no trimmer cap that I can tweak.  But lowering
>the power to get the KPA-100 to drop out kills the birdy which is fine in a
>pinch if there is a new country ... Like the 5T5 that has been hanging out
>on 28020.
>
>73 de Tom K2TA

Re: Birdy on 28020 with K2?

Vic K2VCO
Tom Hammond wrote:

> For what it may be worth, if you have an older KPA100 (not sure what
> 'vintage' actually qualified it as 'older' though, mine's as old as the
> come... an FT unit from before they hit the streets), but there is a mod
> (available from me, and I think somewhere on the Elecraft web site) to
> help eliminate, or at lease significantly reduce spurs from the KPA100
> HV oscillator. Once a couple components. I have the illustrations for
> the mod, but NOT spare parts.

Hi Tom (and others),

I also have this birdie.  Mine is especially strong on 18.068 or so.  I drove
Jack Brindle nuts by claiming it was generated by the KRC2...actually, it is
being RADIATED by the serial cable which in my case goes to the KRC2 and my
computer.  But it definitely goes away when I turn off the KPA100.

I have installed the recent Elecraft KPA100 mod that delays the SWR power
rollback to 2:1, and also includes a new 18.432 MHz crystal to replace the 16
MHz one.  I thought this was done to reduce birdies, but apparently it doesn't
reduce these.

Tom, I would be interested in your mod to reduce KPA birdies.

Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco

Re: Birdy on 28020 with K2?

Tom Althoff
Correction...dropping the power below 10W shifts the birdy about 300Hz it
does not "kill the birdy" (no birdys were harmed during these tests).