Bright line in bar cursors

WX2S
Hi, all,

I would like to set up the bright line in the bar cursors in CW mode so that it indicates not the VFO frequency, but the proper place to tune for the correct sidetone pitch. Is there a way to do this?

Thanks and 73,
- Steve WX2S.

Re: Bright line in bar cursors

Stan Gibbs, KR7C
Tuning the radio such that the bright cursor bar (VFO frequency) is aligned with the received signal should give you exactly the pitch that you set unless your P3's REF CAL menu setting is incorrect.

WX2S wrote
73, Stan - KR7C

Re: Bright line in bar cursors

WX2S
Stan,

That was exactly it. REF CAL was way off, about 63 counts. Calibrated against WWV and it's fine now.

Thanks and 73,
- Steve WX2S.

Tuning the radio such that the bright cursor bar (VFO frequency) is aligned with the received signal should give you exactly the pitch that you set unless your P3's REF CAL menu setting is incorrect.

WX2S wrote
I would like to set up the bright line in the bar cursors in CW mode so that it indicates not the VFO frequency, but the proper place to tune for the correct sidetone pitch. Is there a way to do this?
73, Stan - KR7C

http://elecraft.365791.n2.nabble.com/Bright-line-in-bar-cursors-tp7576736p7576762.html
To unsubscribe from Bright line in bar cursors, click here.
NAML

Re: Bright line in bar cursors

Paul Saffren N6HZ
Hi Steve,

I talked with Alan about this and it looks like it is something we could add, probably via a menu entry.   We'll put it on the to-do list.

Paul
Paul Saffren - N6HZ
Project Manager
Elecraft Inc.
831-763-4211 x122
www.elecraft.com
On 7/14/2013 7:23 PM, WX2S [via Elecraft] wrote:
Hi, all,

I would like to set up the bright line in the bar cursors in CW mode so that it indicates not the VFO frequency, but the proper place to tune for the correct sidetone pitch. Is there a way to do this?

Thanks and 73,
- Steve WX2S.

http://elecraft.365791.n2.nabble.com/Bright-line-in-bar-cursors-tp7576736.html
To unsubscribe from [P3], click here.
NAML

Re: Bright line in bar cursors

Chester Alderman
If you in fact do this, please make it operator selectable via the menus. I
am not quite sure what the "correct sidetone pitch" is as for the past 60
years I select the sidetone pitch to suit my own ears.

Thanks and 73,
Tom - W4BQF

I talked with Alan about this and it looks like it is something we could
add, probably via a menu entry.   We'll put it on the to-do list.

Paul

Paul Saffren - N6HZ
Project Manager
Elecraft Inc.
831-763-4211 x122
www.elecraft.com

On 7/14/2013 7:23 PM, WX2S [via Elecraft] wrote:

> Hi, all,
>
> I would like to set up the bright line in the bar cursors in CW mode
> so that it indicates not the VFO frequency, but the proper place to
> tune for the correct sidetone pitch. Is there a way to do this?
>
> Thanks and 73,
> - Steve WX2S.

<http://elecraft.365791.n2.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=unsubsc
ribe_by_code&node=7419393&code=cGF1bHNAZWxlY3JhZnQuY29tfDc0MTkzOTN8LTU0NDI4O
DMzNA==>.
> NAML
> <http://elecraft.365791.n2.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=m
> acro_viewer&id=instant_html%21nabble%3Aemail.naml&base=nabble.naml.nam
> espaces.BasicNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-nabble
> .view.web.template.NodeNamespace&breadcrumbs=notify_subscribers%21nabb
> le%3Aemail.naml-instant_emails%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-send_instant_emai
> l%21nabble%3Aemail.naml>

Re: Bright line in bar cursors

WX2S
Paul and Tom,

That would be great if it could be added as an option, but probably not necessary. As I noted before, it occurred because the P3's clock was not calibrated correctly with respect to the K3. Once I adjusted the clock, tuning the K3 to put the bright line on top of the received signal beat the signal to the sidetone frequency, within a few hertz.

An alternative to adding a software option would be a slight mod to the manual, advising operators to calibrate the P3 frequency and describing what the position of the bright line indicates in each of the receive modes (CW, SSB, RTTY, etc.)

I'd expect that this would be true regardless of where I set the sidetone in the K3.

73,
- Steve WX2S.

http://elecraft.365791.n2.nabble.com/Bright-line-in-bar-cursors-tp7576736p7576876.html