Building a K1 no side tone

Rick/WA6ES
Assembling my K1 and got to the part where I check the side tone and all. No side tone in the ear buds. I also noticed that when I key the keyer the display goes blank. Not sure why no side tone. Checked the schematic and it goes back to the MCU.  Could I of missed something? I have an illuminated display and this stays lit. I would appreciate any help.

Thanks
Rick / WA6ES

Re: Building a K1 no side tone

Don Wilhelm-4
Rick,

Did you install either RFC8 or the jumper that takes its place when the
80 meter band module is not included?  See the errata sheet, item 3.

Rick/WA6ES wrote:

> Assembling my K1 and got to the part where I check the side tone and all. No
> side tone in the ear buds. I also noticed that when I key the keyer the
> display goes blank. Not sure why no side tone. Checked the schematic and it
> goes back to the MCU.  Could I of missed something? I have an illuminated
> display and this stays lit. I would appreciate any help.
>
> Thanks
> Rick / WA6ES

Re: Building a K1 no side tone

Rick,

An additional thought - that blank display when keyed could be an
indicator of a bad solder connection in the DC supply section of the
K1.  You are apparently capable of searching through the schematic, so
start at the 12 volt input and check all the points up through the
regulators for good solder connections.  Re-flow those connections with
a hot (750 deg F) soldering iron and see if you find any improvement.

My guess, one or more of the voltages is reading fine in receive, but
the higher current draw when the key is depressed (transmit mode) is
causing one of the voltages to sag to less than normal - a bad solder
connection could cause that.

Rick/WA6ES wrote:

> Assembling my K1 and got to the part where I check the side tone and all. No
> side tone in the ear buds. I also noticed that when I key the keyer the
> display goes blank. Not sure why no side tone. Checked the schematic and it
> goes back to the MCU.  Could I of missed something? I have an illuminated
> display and this stays lit. I would appreciate any help.
>
> Thanks
> Rick / WA6ES

Re: Building a K1 no side tone

Rick/WA6ES
I should of said I am on Page 36 of the Alignment and Test Part 1 so I think that there is no output, I will check the board anyway, you never know. At first I did find some points not soldered and took care of them. Still checking and killing brain cells.
  Not sure if the display goes blank when you are transmitting or still displays the frequency that you are on. I was thinking ground or short but the backlight stayed on.

Rick/WA6ES

Don Wilhelm-4 wrote
Rick,

An additional thought - that blank display when keyed could be an
indicator of a bad solder connection in the DC supply section of the
K1.  You are apparently capable of searching through the schematic, so
start at the 12 volt input and check all the points up through the
regulators for good solder connections.  Re-flow those connections with
a hot (750 deg F) soldering iron and see if you find any improvement.

My guess, one or more of the voltages is reading fine in receive, but
the higher current draw when the key is depressed (transmit mode) is
causing one of the voltages to sag to less than normal - a bad solder
connection could cause that.

Re: Building a K1 no side tone

Don Wilhelm-4
Rick,

The K1 display changes to a simulated bargraph to indicate the power
output when keyed.  You will not have any power output at this stage of
assembly, so your statement of a 'blank display' may be just fine.
Since the backlight stays on during keying, I should retract my
statement about a power problem.

The most likely reason for no sidetone is soldering - check to see if
all points are well soldered and none skipped.  You do have the AF Gain
advanced do you not?  The K1 sidetone varies with the AF Gain setting.
The source of the sidetone is the output from the DAC on the Front
Panel, U2 pin 1.  If you have an oscilloscope, you could check to see if
you have an audio signal there when the K1 is keyed.  Lacking a 'scope,
connect a pair of leads to an audio amplifier input (line in of a
computer soundcard or an MP3/CD player) and probe at that point to see
if there is any sound - it might not sound great, but you will know if
the signal is present.
The signal leaves the front panel via J1 pin 5.  Look at the schematic
for the RF Board sheet 1 in the lower left corner and you will see the
components that the sidetone signal (XFIL/TONE) are applied to.  It
makes it way to the AF Amp through the AF Gain control.  You should hear
some 'white noise' sound when the AF Gain is advanced.  If the audio is
totally silent, you may have a problem with the AF Amp rather than the
sidetone.

Rick/WA6ES wrote:

> I should of said I am on Page 36 of the Alignment and Test Part 1 so I think
> that there is no output, I will check the board anyway, you never know. At
> first I did find some points not soldered and took care of them. Still
> checking and killing brain cells.
>   Not sure if the display goes blank when you are transmitting or still
> displays the frequency that you are on. I was thinking ground or short but
> the backlight stayed on.
>
> Rick/WA6ES

Re: Building a K1 no side tone

Rick/WA6ES
Well Don, I went back checked everything, every hole and every solder fleck. Cleaned up pad solder joints and just verified all, did I mention I missed a couple of holes. Plugged in the power and earbuds and I heard noise, tried the keyer and it was making noise, backwards but dits and dahs. I figure the world would switch to left handed being normal, maybe next year.
Anyway now I can say I am off to page 38 and winding that L1. I just have to remember this is my training for making the K2 later this year. With the K2 I will slow it down a notch and read twice before doing anything.
Thanks Again
[...]

Rick, that is great news.  There is a menu setting to reverse the
paddles for us lefties.