C9 trimmer cap on the KAT1

wf8o
I have possibly installed this trimmer cap with the wrong orientation. The instructions say to orient it
with the "flat side" to the left.  The trimmer is of the newer design, as the blue ones used on the KFl1-4,  It has two "flat sides".  I  installed it with the wider "flat side" to the left. Does any one know the correct orientation?  Does it really matter, anyway? I am ready to install the atu inside my K1.  Please advise.

Sincerely,

Mike Narges WF8O

Re: C9 trimmer cap on the KAT1

Don Wilhelm-4
  Mike,

If you look carefully at the long side of those capacitors, you will
note that that side has rounded corners - the narrow other end has sharp
anglular transitions from the end to the sides - so the narrow end is
flat, while the larger end is "rounded".

None-the-less, it does not matter much in that particular application -
both ends of that capacitor are isolated from ground and the trimmer
must be adjusted with a fully insulated (non-metallic) tool if you are
to achieve the correct setting.

Adjust it first with a non-metallic tool, and if you still cannot find a
null point, look for the problem some other place than the trimmer (the
windings of the bi-filar wound toroid are the most probable problem point.

On 5/23/2011 11:23 AM, wf8o wrote:
> I have possibly installed this trimmer cap with the wrong orientation. The
> instructions say to orient it
> with the "flat side" to the left.  The trimmer is of the newer design, as
> the blue ones used on the KFl1-4,  It has two "flat sides".  I  installed it
> with the wider "flat side" to the left. Does any one know the correct
> orientation?  Does it really matter, anyway? I am ready to install the atu
> inside my K1.  Please advise.

Re: C9 trimmer cap on the KAT1

wf8o
Thanks, Don.  I really appreciate your reply, and so soon.  You must be recovering from FDIM and the
Elecraft announcements. The new stuff is enticing, but the wallet speaks the language of the XYL!

My non-expert analysis was that there was nothing really to be gained by turning the cap around when balanced against the risk of damage in doing that.  I have more comfort in that thought now.

Thanks once again and Best 73/72

de Mike WF8O

Re: C9 trimmer cap on the KAT1

Don Wilhelm-4
  Yes, the number of emails was overwhelming when I returned - 426 in
the Elecraft folder alone.  I have just about finished with email and I
think my keyboard has to be replaced with one having an unbroken delete key!

Good luck on your negotiations with the XYL :-) .