CW Key Suggestions... Magnets or springs

CW Key Suggestions... Magnets or springs

Fred Townsend

I have been following this thread with much interest but I have not seen a
mention of magnets or springs. Springs may weaken with time but then again I
believe magnets can degrade with time as well. Within limits, I would expect
springs to be linear but magnets would be piecewise linear too. What is the
wisdom of the fists?

Fred, AE6QL

Re: CW Key Suggestions... Magnets or springs

Tony Estep
On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 9:34 PM, Fred Townsend <[hidden email]>wrote:

> ...magnets or springs...?

============
Ya know, Fred, it seems as if magnets ought to be the preferred choice.
However, I have a Schurr Profi that uses springs, and the action is IMHO
absolutely perfect, the best of the many keys I've ever used. OTOH, I also
have an old Vibroplex paddle that uses magnets, and whatever advantage they
may have is vitiated by generally cheesy construction, including stamped
parts.

I think the determining factor is really frictionless bearings and nicely
machined parts that fit right. The Begali, Schurr, and numerous other keys
fit this description. Of course, they cost a lot, sort of like a fly reel
with only 6 moving parts that costs 10x as much as a good mass-produced
spinning reel.

Tony KT0NY

--
http://www.isb.edu/faculty/facultydir.aspx?ddlFaculty=352

Re: CW Key Suggestions... Magnets or springs

Cookie
I think how the key is made is more important than springs or magnets.  My key at home is a Hex Key (like the Elecraft Key but with a Bencher label) and I used a Kent magnet key at field day.  They have a similar feel.  I had a Bencher with a spring that I dropped when moving and it broke into so many parts that I threw it away rather than trying to put Humpty Dumpty together again.  I really prefer a straight key with a spring or a bug with a lot of springs.

Willis 'Cookie' Cooke
K5EWJ & Trustee N5BPS, USS Cavalla, USS Stewart