CW Learning Techniques

Martin.Evans

Hi to all, sorry this is a bit off topic but I know there are a lot of good
CW ops on this list. I am currently working on CW head copy at around
20wpm. I get most of the smaller words (say up to 5 letters) with no
problem but miss many of the longer ones, I forget the first few letters by
the time I get to the last few. However, the real question is should I
"visualise" the letters (like imagining a typewriter with my eyes shut) or
just sort of recognise the letters in an abstract sort of way leaving the
brain to piece them together in the background so to speak (hard to
describe this bit). I am aware of both methods happening but not sure
whether to force the "visualising" method in case it will slow me down
later on. The "visualising" does help me to get some of the longer words
but maybe it's not good in the long term. The  "art and skill of radio
telegraphy" book doesn't seem to offer any pointers here. Maybe it doesn't
matter much either way but your expert opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Martin
M0KWV
K1 #1534

Why not take a look at our Web site?
http://www.simoncarves.com

The information in this email and any attachments may contain
privileged and/or confidential information intended solely for
the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed.
If the reader of this email is not the intended addressee, or the
employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the addressee,
me by telephone or email and delete all copies immediately.
You must subscribe to post.
Subscriber Info (Addr. Change, Unsub etc): http://mailman.qth.net/subscribers.htm
Elecraft page: http://www.elecraft.com

Re: CW Learning Techniques

Joe-aa4nn
Martin & others,
Copying CW mentally is of course the way to go for increasing copying speed.
Early on I had this window in my brain where I visualized letters scrolling
across from right to left.  Listening and visualizing at the same time, I
eventually began copying whole words rather than individual letters.  I
recognize syllables in long words and fit them together much like in early
learning where I would fit individual letters into a word.  My scrolling
window somewhere along the way simply disappeared.
73, Joe, aa4nn

>However, the real question is should I
>"visualise" the letters (like imagining a typewriter with my eyes shut) or
>just sort of recognise the letters in an abstract sort of way

You must subscribe to post.
Subscriber Info (Addr. Change, Unsub etc): http://mailman.qth.net/subscribers.htm
Elecraft page: http://www.elecraft.com

Re: CW Learning Techniques

David A. Belsley
Martin:
   After a while, you will just learn to keep the first part in mind.
Something that may help, is to make use of your current ability to get
shorter words.  Often you will get several shorter words in a row.
When this happens, get the first one and then, while the second one is
coming, try to keep tucked in your mind what the first word was as
well.  Gang this up for several short words, and that is the equivalent
of keeping several syllables of a long word.

   I'm not sure what's going on in my head when I'm doing head copy at
35-40 wpm, but somehow it sticks.  I guess now its almost like the
letters accumulating on a computer screen as you type: the image just
sits there.  I don't know if it grows letter by letter or small
grouping by small grouping: it just grows.  Something will happen to
work for you just as long as you keep trying.  And dealing with longer
words is actually easier at speeds much faster than 20 wpm because you
get 'hit' with and can process more in a shorter period of time.

   Another thing: keep your head wrapped around the code sound.  If I
can say something that may make no sense at all: keep your head wrapped
on the code sound from "on top", i.e., where your head is hearing the
sound while still alive for the sounds yet to come.  Do not try to
process the sound with your head "from  below", i.e., where you are
trying to push or burn the code translation of the current letter into
your head.  It is this processing that distracts from the code coming
up.

   You will also hear the advice never to stop to try to figure
something out, just keep going ahead.  This is good advice, and is just
another way of saying what I just said above; keep your head on top of
the code, hearing what you just heard but alive for what's coming up.
Don't get under it to analyze it; you'll then be dead for what's coming
up.

   Interestingly, once you are able to keep your mind "on top of the
code" you will find that you can simultaneously keep hearing and
processing the new code while integrating it (and even further
processing) the old without blowing your concentration.

    As always when it comes to such matters: YMMV.

best wishes, and good luck -- keep it up and don't give up -- it may
take a long time, but its well worth it  -- good head copy is the real
break through for truly fun and satisfying cw.

dave belsley, w1euy

On Jun 16, 2004, at 6:39 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Hi to all, sorry this is a bit off topic but I know there are a lot of
> good
> CW ops on this list. I am currently working on CW head copy at around
> 20wpm. I get most of the smaller words (say up to 5 letters) with no
> problem but miss many of the longer ones, I forget the first few
> letters by
> the time I get to the last few. However, the real question is should I
> "visualise" the letters (like imagining a typewriter with my eyes
> shut) or
> just sort of recognise the letters in an abstract sort of way leaving
> the
> brain to piece them together in the background so to speak (hard to
> describe this bit). I am aware of both methods happening but not sure
> whether to force the "visualising" method in case it will slow me down
> later on. The "visualising" does help me to get some of the longer
> words
> but maybe it's not good in the long term. The  "art and skill of radio
> telegraphy" book doesn't seem to offer any pointers here. Maybe it
> doesn't
> matter much either way but your expert opinions would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks
> Martin
> M0KWV
> K1 #1534
>

> Why not take a look at our Web site?
> http://www.simoncarves.com

> **
> The information in this email and any attachments may contain
> privileged and/or confidential information intended solely for
> the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed.
> If the reader of this email is not the intended addressee, or the
> employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the addressee,
> you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or
> copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.
> If you have received this communication in error, please notify
> me by telephone or email and delete all copies immediately.
> You must subscribe to post.
> Subscriber Info (Addr. Change, Unsub etc):
> http://mailman.qth.net/subscribers.htm
> Elecraft page: http://www.elecraft.com

You must subscribe to post.
Subscriber Info (Addr. Change, Unsub etc): http://mailman.qth.net/subscribers.htm
Elecraft page: http://www.elecraft.com

Re: CW Learning Techniques

Jim Brown-9
On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 11:39:57 +0100, [hidden email] wrote:

>However, the real question is should I
>"visualise" the letters (like imagining a typewriter with my eyes shut) or
>just sort of recognise the letters in an abstract sort of way leaving the
>brain to piece them together in the background so to speak (hard to
>describe this bit).

It's pretty much the same answer as the old line, "How do you get to Carnegie
Hall?  Practice, practice, practice!"  Once you have a license, that boils
down to active, on the air operating. Contesting is great -- it will force
you to copy calls. So is rag chewing. Don't worry if you miss stuff, just
keep at it. Writing it down doesn't hurt either, and neither does simply
keeping a receiver on and listening to other folks rag chewing. Pick out good
fists that are a bit above your comfortable speed. Don't waste your energy on
sloppy fists -- they will drive you nuts.

Jim  K9YC

You must subscribe to post.
Subscriber Info (Addr. Change, Unsub etc): http://mailman.qth.net/subscribers.htm
Elecraft page: http://www.elecraft.com

RE: CW Learning Techniques

Ron D'Eau Claire-2
Like most Hams, I started out writing down each character. I quickly moved
to a typewriter (a.k.a. "mill" - particularly the ones with only capital
letters that were used in commercial/military service) where I learned to
automatically punch keys in response to hearing letters almost without
thinking about it.

Except for the occasional test for a new/upgraded commercial or Ham CW
license in which I was required to write down at least one minute of solid
copy for an FCC examiner, I fairly quickly moved to "head copy". Doing that,
I'm quite aware that I 'see' each character in my head as I hear it, just as
if I were pounding on a mill. I am most aware of that when sometimes a long
word will require me to "look back" that the recent characters to read the
whole thing to understand what I "heard".

Clearly, that ability to remember for a short while at least individual,
disconnected characters until they become a word is a learned ability. I've
been doing that for over half a century, so I can't begin to tell you how
long it takes, but it isn't an unusual ability nor should it take a terribly
long time.

One thing that gets in the way of learning is stress. I suggest "reading the
mail" (copying random QSO's in which you are not involved or listening to
broadcasts like the ARRL code practice sessions) to practice copying in your
head. Sit back, close your eyes and just pound out those characters on your
mental "mill" or write them on your mental notepad, whichever is the "right"
thing for you.

I often listen to CW while working around the shack, and it seems like I'm
just hearing a person slowly speaking - until he/she says something I don't
understand and I catch myself reviewing the last few letters sent to create
a printed "word".

In a QSO, I still write down the op's name, QTH, etc., because that short
term memory isn't *that* good! I'll hear a name FB, but five minutes later
be completely unable to recall it if I didn't jot it down somewhere. Of
course, that goes double for calls. Similarly, in a rag-chew I'll jot down a
short note while listening about questions the other op asked or things I
want to comment on so I don't forget them when I'm transmitting. For
example, "HB rig?" might serve to remind me to ask more about the homebrew
rig he mentioned using.

Now, I'm just a routine Ham/Commercial operator "graybeard". I haven't ever
worked at CW speeds above 35 wpm or so, and that only out of an interest to
get a 35 WPM certificate from the ARRL some years ago for the fun of it. I
always match the speed of the station I'm calling, so most of my operating
is in the 20-25 wpm range, frequently slower. There are Hams whose main
interest is in high-speed CW; working at 40 or 50 wpm or even faster. From
what I read, doing that takes learning special techniques in which you do
hear whole words as single entities; even big ones. People actually develop
vocabularies in which the assemblage of CW elements for a word becomes a
form of the word itself, just like hearing a foreign language. If that's
your ultimate goal, those ops may have some suggestions that will help you
get there most quickly. It seems that really high-speed CW usually involves
having to "unlearn" some techniques that most of us pick up naturally at low
speeds but which get in the way of really high-speed operating. One of those
things they tell me must be "unlearned" is the idea of hearing or
visualizing individual letters.

Ron AC7AC

[...]

Ward Willats-3
Dave:

>keep your head wrapped on the code sound from "on top"

>  keep your head on top of the code,

>Don't get under it to analyze it; you'll then be dead for what's coming up.

Being from Santa Cruz, I really appreciate this: it is CODE SURFING!

I'm at the same point Martin is, so am enjoying reading this advice.

Watch that undertow.

-- Ward / KG6HAF
You must subscribe to post.
Subscriber Info (Addr. Change, Unsub etc): http://mailman.qth.net/subscribers.htm
Elecraft page: http://www.elecraft.com

RE: CW Learning Techniques

Richard Klingensmith
I don't remember where I read this and I have not tried the technique but it
sounds reasonable. Have someone else read to you a letter at a time. Start
out at one letter per second then increase the speed. I'm working on copying
CW in my head too, but more enjoying the hobby now than actively working on
the technique. Hopefully it will magically happen someday hi!

Rick
WA3TUU

>From: [hidden email]
>To: [hidden email]
>Subject: [Elecraft] CW Learning Techniques
>Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 11:39:57 +0100
>

>Hi to all, sorry this is a bit off topic but I know there are a lot of good
>CW ops on this list. I am currently working on CW head copy at around
>20wpm. I get most of the smaller words (say up to 5 letters) with no
>problem but miss many of the longer ones, I forget the first few letters by
>the time I get to the last few. However, the real question is should I
>"visualise" the letters (like imagining a typewriter with my eyes shut) or
>just sort of recognise the letters in an abstract sort of way leaving the
>brain to piece them together in the background so to speak (hard to
>describe this bit). I am aware of both methods happening but not sure
>whether to force the "visualising" method in case it will slow me down
>later on. The "visualising" does help me to get some of the longer words
>but maybe it's not good in the long term. The  "art and skill of radio
>telegraphy" book doesn't seem to offer any pointers here. Maybe it doesn't
>matter much either way but your expert opinions would be appreciated.
>
>Thanks
>Martin
>M0KWV
>K1 #1534
>

>Why not take a look at our Web site?
>http://www.simoncarves.com

>The information in this email and any attachments may contain
>privileged and/or confidential information intended solely for
>the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed.
>If the reader of this email is not the intended addressee, or the
>employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the addressee,
>you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or
>copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.
>If you have received this communication in error, please notify
>me by telephone or email and delete all copies immediately.
>You must subscribe to post.
>Subscriber Info (Addr. Change, Unsub etc):
>http://mailman.qth.net/subscribers.htm
>Elecraft page: http://www.elecraft.com

You must subscribe to post.
Subscriber Info (Addr. Change, Unsub etc): http://mailman.qth.net/subscribers.htm
Elecraft page: http://www.elecraft.com

Re: CW Learning Techniques

zeke7237-2
My $.02 ...

A technique that worked for me was to read text (from a book) and "play"
CW in my head as I was reading. I'd actually do this driving, reading
street signs and listening to the code in my head. YMMV, but I've
related this method to many people trying to get out of the single-digit
speeds with great results.

de John W1RT

On Wed, 2004-06-16 at 06:39, [hidden email] wrote:

> Hi to all, sorry this is a bit off topic but I know there are a lot of good
> CW ops on this list. I am currently working on CW head copy at around
> 20wpm. I get most of the smaller words (say up to 5 letters) with no
> problem but miss many of the longer ones, I forget the first few letters by
> the time I get to the last few. However, the real question is should I
> "visualise" the letters (like imagining a typewriter with my eyes shut) or
> just sort of recognise the letters in an abstract sort of way leaving the
> brain to piece them together in the background so to speak (hard to
> describe this bit). I am aware of both methods happening but not sure
> whether to force the "visualising" method in case it will slow me down
> later on. The "visualising" does help me to get some of the longer words
> but maybe it's not good in the long term. The  "art and skill of radio
> telegraphy" book doesn't seem to offer any pointers here. Maybe it doesn't
> matter much either way but your expert opinions would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks
> Martin
> M0KWV
> K1 #1534
>

> Why not take a look at our Web site?
> http://www.simoncarves.com

> The information in this email and any attachments may contain
> privileged and/or confidential information intended solely for
> the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed.
> If the reader of this email is not the intended addressee, or the
> employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the addressee,
> you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or
> copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.
> If you have received this communication in error, please notify
> me by telephone or email and delete all copies immediately.
> You must subscribe to post.
> Subscriber Info (Addr. Change, Unsub etc): http://mailman.qth.net/subscribers.htm
> Elecraft page: http://www.elecraft.com

You must subscribe to post.
Subscriber Info (Addr. Change, Unsub etc): http://mailman.qth.net/subscribers.htm
Elecraft page: http://www.elecraft.com

RE: CW Learning Techniques

KI7V (John)

There is a good book (The Art and Skill of Telegraphy) and includes
techniques for high speed copy and can be downloaded here:

 http://www.qsl.net/n9bor/n0hff.htm

A technique that worked for me was to read text (from a book) and "play"
CW in my head as I was reading. I'd actually do this driving, reading
street signs and listening to the code in my head. YMMV, but I've
related this method to many people trying to get out of the single-digit
speeds with great results.

de John W1RT

On Wed, 2004-06-16 at 06:39, [hidden email] wrote:

> Hi to all, sorry this is a bit off topic but I know there are a lot of
good
> CW ops on this list. I am currently working on CW head copy at around
> 20wpm. I get most of the smaller words (say up to 5 letters) with no
> problem but miss many of the longer ones, I forget the first few letters
by

> the time I get to the last few. However, the real question is should I
> "visualise" the letters (like imagining a typewriter with my eyes shut) or
> just sort of recognise the letters in an abstract sort of way leaving the
> brain to piece them together in the background so to speak (hard to
> describe this bit). I am aware of both methods happening but not sure
> whether to force the "visualising" method in case it will slow me down
> later on. The "visualising" does help me to get some of the longer words
> but maybe it's not good in the long term. The  "art and skill of radio
> telegraphy" book doesn't seem to offer any pointers here. Maybe it doesn't
> matter much either way but your expert opinions would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks
> Martin
> M0KWV
> K1 #1534
>

> Why not take a look at our Web site?
> http://www.simoncarves.com

> The information in this email and any attachments may contain
> privileged and/or confidential information intended solely for
> the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed.
> If the reader of this email is not the intended addressee, or the
> employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the addressee,
> you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or
> copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.
> If you have received this communication in error, please notify
> me by telephone or email and delete all copies immediately.
> You must subscribe to post.
> Subscriber Info (Addr. Change, Unsub etc):
http://mailman.qth.net/subscribers.htm
> Elecraft page: http://www.elecraft.com

You must subscribe to post.
Subscriber Info (Addr. Change, Unsub etc):
http://mailman.qth.net/subscribers.htm
Elecraft page: http://www.elecraft.com

You must subscribe to post.
Subscriber Info (Addr. Change, Unsub etc): http://mailman.qth.net/subscribers.htm
Elecraft page: http://www.elecraft.com

Re: CW Learning Techniques

Deni-6
Hello Martin and all, great thread, enjoying reading the responses.

I found having been stuck at 20 WPM head copy for some time that if I
increased the sending speed  above what I considered my normal reliable
receive speed  I could actually read longer words much easier and with less
stress than before.
What a pleasant surprise!  I could actually copy code much faster than I
thought.
I think you will start hearing the longer  more difficult words in larger
chunks and eventually hearing and decoding long whole words and wondering
how did I do that",  very cool.
So don't impose an artificial lower limit on yourself but regularly listen
to short code sessions at higher speed than you consider normal for yourself

I now do this at speeds up to 40WPM for practice, you may find a sweet spot
speed that suits you and it begins to click. Above 20WPM code actually
sounds better to me and I find I can headcopy conversational CW easier.

Good luck,

Deni

F5VJC GM3SKN

You must subscribe to post.
Subscriber Info (Addr. Change, Unsub etc): http://mailman.qth.net/subscribers.htm
Elecraft page: http://www.elecraft.com

Radio shack BNC antenna mount $1.97

Leigh L. Klotz Jr WA5ZNU
I just bought 20-023 BNC window clip-on miunt with 6ft of RG-174 for
$1.97 on clearance.  They had another one in a grab bag.  Maybe just the
thing for KX1 (parked) mobile with a Maldol whip, if you use your
existing ground ground onto the body.
73,
WA5ZNU Leigh
You must subscribe to post.
Subscriber Info (Addr. Change, Unsub etc): http://mailman.qth.net/subscribers.htm
Elecraft page: http://www.elecraft.com

Re: Radio shack BNC antenna mount $1.97

Jim Brown-10
Oh, yeah, way cool. I carry one in my briefcase when I travel, along with a VHF/UHF
"super-talkie" antenna that has a BNC mount. With that and my talkie, I'm in good
shape with local repeaters when I travel. I figure that the combination is good for
extending the range of my talkie by at least 10 dB (3x the distance), and extending
the life of my battery by letting me run QRP to work shorter distances.

Jim  Brown K9YC