CW pitch can go to zero Hz

Carl Clawson
Sometimes when I send "KY @;" over RS232 my CW pitch goes to zero. Took me a
while to figure out where my sidetone went.

The problem comes and goes, and I can't say what puts it in the evil state.
But when it's in evil mode, the "KY @;" appears to be what sets it to zero.
It's hard to be certain, though, with things that come and go and you don't
know why.

Firmware V2.02, using Prolific USB serial converter on Windows XP SP2.

73, Carl WS7L

RE: CW pitch can go to zero Hz (RS232 problem)

Carl Clawson
More info:

The evil mode is not cleared by cycling power, restoring a configuration, or
reloading firmware. So I still don't know what causes or relieves the
problem. I also observed the problem on V1.96.

Sometimes, but not always, the CW speed will change when the tone goes to
zero. The speed will go to either 8 WPM or 0 WPM.

When it's in evil mode, all I have to do to zero my tone is start the K3
utility and type "KY @;". I then restore tone and keyer speed with the front
panel controls and all operates normally until the next time I send "KY @;".
Eventually a miracle occurs and I can send "KY @;" as much as I want until
the next time the demons possess it.

I am logging all everything I send over RS232 but so far nothing looks odd.
I'll keep looking.

Any other ideas for things to clear/reset, things to watch for, etc.,
appreciated. Thanks!

73, Carl
K3 #486

Re: CW pitch can go to zero Hz (RS232 problem)

wayne burdick
Administrator
Carl,

The character '@', when embedded in a "KY<text>" CW keying packet, will
do one of two things:

1. terminate the transmission, or
2. send .--.-. which is the Morse pattern for '@' (you can also think of
    it as the prosign "AC")

To select which behavior you want, go into CONFIG:CW WGHT and tap '2'
on the keypad. You can select either "@=STOP" or "@='AC'". The latter
is useful if you want to send e-mail addresses in CW. In fact '@' is
the newest Morse character and was adopted for just this purpose.

The problem you're describing appears to be with "@=STOP" selected.
I'll see if I can duplicate this. Meanwhile, you might want to change
it to the "AC" prosign.

There are two other "meta" characters that can be inserted into an
ASCII text packet: '<' (go into TX TEST mode) and '>' (exit TX TEST
mode). These and '@' are documented in the K3 Programmer's Reference
(available on our K3 page). Refer to the 'KY' command description.

Let me know if this helps--

73,
Wayne
N6KR

On Jun 14, 2008, at 11:09 AM, Carl Clawson wrote:

> More info:
>
> The evil mode is not cleared by cycling power, restoring a
> configuration, or
> reloading firmware. So I still don't know what causes or relieves the
> problem. I also observed the problem on V1.96.
>
> Sometimes, but not always, the CW speed will change when the tone goes
> zero. The speed will go to either 8 WPM or 0 WPM.
>
> When it's in evil mode, all I have to do to zero my tone is start the
> K3
> utility and type "KY @;". I then restore tone and keyer speed with the
> front
> panel controls and all operates normally until the next time I send
> "KY @;".
> Eventually a miracle occurs and I can send "KY @;" as much as I want
> until
> the next time the demons possess it.
>
> I am logging all everything I send over RS232 but so far nothing looks
> odd.
> I'll keep looking.
>
> Any other ideas for things to clear/reset, things to watch for, etc.,
> appreciated. Thanks!
>
> 73, Carl
> K3 #486

---

http://www.elecraft.com

RE: CW pitch can go to zero Hz (RS232 problem)

Carl Clawson
Thanks, Wayne. I was unaware of the "AC" feature. I'm using it as a STOP in
a logging program; would've said so had I known about the other usage.
-- Carl

> From: wayne burdick [mailto:[hidden email]]
>
> The character '@', when embedded in a "KY<text>" CW keying packet, will do
one of two things:

> 1. terminate the transmission, or
> 2. send .--.-. which is the Morse pattern for '@' (you can also think of
>     it as the prosign "AC")

RE: CW pitch can go to zero Hz (RS232 problem)

Julian, G4ILO
Carl Clawson wrote
Thanks, Wayne. I was unaware of the "AC" feature. I'm using it as a STOP in
a logging program; would've said so had I known about the other usage.
My program is using it as STOP too - I have not observed this problem.
Julian, G4ILO. K2 #392  K3 #222 KX3 #110
* G4ILO's Shack - http://www.g4ilo.com
* KComm - http://www.g4ilo.com/kcomm.html
* KTune - http://www.g4ilo.com/ktune.html