Cables from K60XV >> XVxxx

k2qo
Hi Gang,

I've long wondered if you can get short, nicely shielded commercially made
coax cables to run from the phone jacks on the K60XV to the first XV unit
in a daisy chain. I use some "Platinum F3" audio cables with phonos on each
end along with phono>BNC adapters at the transverter. Actually, I don't
even know if my audio cables are 50 Ohms. I see a couple of options and
would like comments.

   1. I could cut in half a pair of nice RG-142 cables with BNCs and put a
   phono connector on the freshly severed ends.
   2. I could use the 10W top for the K2 when roving and install BNCs in
   the appropriate holes. I'd have to find some way of making it a quick
   disconnect scheme like the miniature RF connectors used on circuit boards.
   3. The last obvious option is to run coax pigtails with some strain
   relief out of the phone jack holes like the FT100D uses.
   4. One option that does NOT work is using phono to BNC adapters at the
   radio. The jacks are too close. Maybe you have adapters that fit?

Additionally, I am TORN between buying/building an XV50 and amp, or selling
my XV432 and buying a TS-2000 so I can have 4 bands (with the XV222) on one
radio with one mike/headset. It can get really crazy while out roving and I
need to find a way to NOT switch phones, mikes, etc while doing battle.

73,
Mark K2QO
K2 #543
FN03ra

*US Oil, Natural Gas and Coal: 100% Natural and Terrorist Free*

Re: Cables from K60XV >> XVxxx

Don Wilhelm-4
Mark,

I made up my own cables from RG-58.  RCA plugs (use good quality) on one
end and BNC males at the other.

On 7/10/2012 7:00 PM, Mark Adams wrote:

> Hi Gang,
>
> I've long wondered if you can get short, nicely shielded commercially made
> coax cables to run from the phone jacks on the K60XV to the first XV unit
> in a daisy chain. I use some "Platinum F3" audio cables with phonos on each
> end along with phono>BNC adapters at the transverter. Actually, I don't
> even know if my audio cables are 50 Ohms. I see a couple of options and
> would like comments.

Re: Cables from K60XV >> XVxxx

k2qo
Thanks Don.

I'll take this as the analog to the hardwood floor commercial that goes "If
it's good enough for Bob Villa, w-e-l-l....."

On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 7:10 PM, Don Wilhelm <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Mark,
>
> I made up my own cables from RG-58.  RCA plugs (use good quality) on one
> end and BNC males at the other.
>
> 73,
> Don W3FPR
>

> On 7/10/2012 7:00 PM, Mark Adams wrote:
>
>> Hi Gang,
>>
>> I've long wondered if you can get short, nicely shielded commercially made
>> coax cables to run from the phone jacks on the K60XV to the first XV unit
>> in a daisy chain. I use some "Platinum F3" audio cables with phonos on
>> each
>> end along with phono>BNC adapters at the transverter. Actually, I don't
>> even know if my audio cables are 50 Ohms. I see a couple of options and
>> would like comments.

Re: Cables from K60XV >> XVxxx

Terry Schieler
That's exactly what I did for my XV50.  Mine were about 10" long.

Terry, W0FM