Cables

Phil LaMarche-2
Is there anywhere to purchase RCA cables with 100% shield?

Phil

Philip LaMarche
LaMarche Enterprises, Inc.
 <http://www.instantgourmetspices.com/> www.instantgourmetspices.com

www.w9dvm.com <http://www.w9dvm.com/>
800-395-7795 pin 02
727-944-3226
FAX 727-937-8834
NASFT 30210

K3  #1605

CCA 98  00827
CRA 1701

W9DVM

Re: Cables

Jim Brown-10
On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 12:59:17 -0500, Phil LaMarche wrote:

>Is there anywhere to purchase RCA cables with 100% shield?

First, 100% shield is meaningless. What matters is shield
RESISTANCE. Second, RG58 that has copper braid shield works quite
well. You  buy some RG58, you buy some Switchcraft or Neutrik RCA
connectors, and you solder the connectors onto the cable.

Premade RCA cables have very flimsy shields (or are often not
shielded at all, but rather have a single wire inside the jacket),
and they are usually made of cheap metals (or thin metal coating)
that causes dissimilar metal problems and/or high contact
resistance when plugged into your radio.

Switchcraft and Neutrik RCA connectors are widely available from
real industrial electronics vendors like Allied, Newark, Digikey,
etc. They aren't cheap, but they are far more robust, and their
contacts are made of good metals that don't have these problems.

Another point. Study my Ham RFI tutorial and the power point on
Ham Interfacing, which show you how to kill hum and buzz simply by
bonding all your equipment together and getting power for all of
it from the same outlet.

http://audiosystemsgroup.com/publish

73,

Jim Brown K9YC

Re: Cables

John Lonigro
Phil:

I've bought cables with Amphenol connectors from www.cablesondemand.com
and have been very happy with them.  Besides high quality RCA cables,
they sell 6 pin mini-din cables (all 6 pins connected) and 50 ohm BNC or
SMA or N-terminated coax.  I can't say the RCA audio cables are 100%
shielded, but I wouldn't be surprised.  You can email them and ask.
When I had a question, they sent me an entire data sheet on some
mini-din cables I bought.

No relation to the company other than being a satisfied customer.

73's,

John AA0VE

Phil LaMarche wrote:

>> Is there anywhere to purchase RCA cables with 100% shield?

Re: Cables

Phil LaMarche-2

Thank you.  Just ordered 10.

Phil