Can this weekend be as good?

Larry Cahoon
With three teenagers around the house it is getting harder and harder to
find radio time.  But last Saturday turned out to be a very good day radio
wise.  As many of you know I was working on the counties all QRP CW.  At
the same time I've been knocking them off QRPp. When I finished them up QRP
the average stood at 1.08 watts. The new goal then become working them all
with an average power of under one watt.

The last six months had seen very little progress.  The average was down to
1.02 watts and I still needed to cut my total power by about 65 watts to
reach the goal. That was not too easy as I already have over 2600 of the
3077 counties worked QRPp and the rest done at 5 watts or less. At this
point just about any new county QRPp will come in at over 1,000 miles per watt.

I've been cutting the power any way I can. If I have a county worked at 500
mWatts - I'll go for 400 mWatts. If I have a county at 5 watts and they
can't hear me QRPp I'll go for 4 watts. Anything to get the total down.

Last Saturday turned out to be a very good day. There was a mobile running
across Iowa. We manage to hook up in three new counties QRPp at 400 mWatts
- coming in at 2,500 miles per watt each. Then there were ten other
counties in MN, IA, TX and ID where I managed to cut anywhere from 2 watts
down to 100 mWatt off the power I had previously worked the county at. By
the end of weekend I had cut the total power by about 19 watts. Now I only
need to cut it another 46 watts to get the average under the one watt goal.

For me that was a good weekend.

Equipment - K1, TenTec 290 attenuator, and one of those 44 foot extended
double zepps.

Still trying to figure out why I might need a beam,
73 de Larry...........WD3P/QRPp in MD
http://www.wd3p.net/

Re: Can this weekend be as good?

Mike Harris-9
G'day,

| Still trying to figure out why I might need a beam,
| 73 de Larry...........WD3P/QRPp in MD

So that you can reduce your 400mW maybe to 200mW or less.

Regards,

Mike VP8NO