Cancel XG3 morse tx?

Re: K3 power supply recommendations

Fred Townsend-2
Gary, you may be trying to chop the cabbage a bit finer than necessary. If
you take a close look at the input power circuit for the K3 you will see the
power pole voltage is the voltage seen by the circuit breaker and the 100W
amp. The voltage measured by the K3 is after the polyfuse (12A) which feeds
the receiver, fan, and P3 (via the power socket). The fuse drops a little
voltage which is why there is a slight difference in readings. The higher
voltage does not affect the receiver because there are several series
regulators (9V & 5V) that derive their supply from 12A  (post fuse 12V). In
the end it is not that critical except the 100W amp will run cleaner and
cooler as the voltage goes up. Also your external power supply, if linear,
will also run slightly cooler as the output voltage is adjusted upwards.
There will be negligible temperature drop on switching supplies. Of course
there are limits as to how high you can raise the input voltage. Read your
K3 input power specification for this value.

73
Fred, AE6QL

Re: K3 power supply recommendations

Eugene Balinski
Another vote for the RM-35. I have had mine for over 30
years.  Not an issue.

Note however that Astron over specs their power supplies.
 They claim that the RS-35 will do 25A continuous.  It will
not.  It gets too darn hot.  Given the heatsink, it should
do about 20 continuous.   This is with static air cooling,
no forced air.

That being said, the RS-35 powered all 12 volt equipment in
my shack including the 120W HF radio, TNC, 50W 2m radio for
packet and dx cluster, and any othe vhf or other radios
that I wanted on.  I have seen the ammeter move past 33A
when the SSB voice peaks combine with the transmit cycle of
the packet radio, with no issues.

73
Gene K1NR
K2, KX3