Case for noise generator

Alan Price-3

I just ordered the Elecraft noise generator.  Does anyone know of a case for the mini-module?

73

Alan

W1HYV

Re: Case for noise generator

Dave Van Wallaghen
Hi Alan,

I make enclosures for some of the other mini-modules, but have yet to
come up with enclosures for some of the test bench kit versions. Looking
at the NGen, it looks like it would be pretty simple. I just came up
with a way to use a sliding top on the enclosure so that in this case
you would slide the top back to turn it off and on and also replace the
battery.

They are made with polycarbonate or acrylic plastic and are clear so you
can still see the LED (and of course your beautiful assembly work).

I have an NGen that is a couple of years old. If they have not changed
the design at all, I could try to make one up if you like. I would guess
a price range of $15 - $18 dollars or so.

Here are examples of the other work I've done on the mini-modules:
http://w8fgu.home.comcast.net/~w8fgu/enclosures.html

Feel free to contact me off list if your interested.

Take care & 73,
Dave W8FGU

Alan Price wrote:

> I just ordered the Elecraft noise generator.  Does anyone know of a case for the mini-module?
>

> 73
>
> Alan
>
> W1HYV

Re: Case for noise generator

M0XDF
I'm still on for an enclosure too Dave.
For others here, Dave's enclosures are very good, well made and
thought out with regards to the module they enclose.
My only relationship here is a satisfied customer.
73 de M0XDF, K3 #174
--
As a well spent day brings happy sleep, so life well used brings happy
death. -Leonardo da Vinci, painter, engineer, musician, and scientist

On 21 Aug 2009, at 18:31, Dave Van Wallaghen wrote:

> Hi Alan,
>
> I make enclosures for some of the other mini-modules, but have yet to
> come up with enclosures for some of the test bench kit versions.
> Looking
> at the NGen, it looks like it would be pretty simple. I just came up
> with a way to use a sliding top on the enclosure so that in this case
> you would slide the top back to turn it off and on and also replace
> the
> battery.
>
> They are made with polycarbonate or acrylic plastic and are clear so
> you
> can still see the LED (and of course your beautiful assembly work).
>
> I have an NGen that is a couple of years old. If they have not changed
> the design at all, I could try to make one up if you like. I would
> guess
> a price range of $15 - $18 dollars or so.
>
> Here are examples of the other work I've done on the mini-modules:
> http://w8fgu.home.comcast.net/~w8fgu/enclosures.html
>
> Feel free to contact me off list if your interested.
>
> Take care & 73,
> Dave W8FGU
>
> Alan Price wrote:
>> I just ordered the Elecraft noise generator.  Does anyone know of a
>> case for the mini-module?

Re: Case for noise generator

ON4WIX
I'll second David's observations about the enclosure quality. I've got
Dave's W1 enclosure here and me's a happy camper!

73
Glenn ON4WIX
> For others here, Dave's enclosures are very good, well made and
> thought out with regards to the module they enclose.
> My only relationship here is a satisfied customer.
> 73 de M0XDF, K3 #174
> --
> As a well spent day brings happy sleep, so life well used brings happy
> death. -Leonardo da Vinci, painter, engineer, musician, and scientist
> (1452-1519)
>
> On 21 Aug 2009, at 18:31, Dave Van Wallaghen wrote:
>
>> Hi Alan,
>>
>> I make enclosures for some of the other mini-modules, but have yet to
>> come up with enclosures for some of the test bench kit versions.
>> Looking
>> at the NGen, it looks like it would be pretty simple. I just came up
>> with a way to use a sliding top on the enclosure so that in this case
>> you would slide the top back to turn it off and on and also replace
>> the
>> battery.
>>
>> They are made with polycarbonate or acrylic plastic and are clear so
>> you
>> can still see the LED (and of course your beautiful assembly work).
>>
>> I have an NGen that is a couple of years old. If they have not changed
>> the design at all, I could try to make one up if you like. I would
>> guess
>> a price range of $15 - $18 dollars or so.
>>
>> Here are examples of the other work I've done on the mini-modules:
>> http://w8fgu.home.comcast.net/~w8fgu/enclosures.html
>>
>> Feel free to contact me off list if your interested.
>>
>> Take care & 73,
>> Dave W8FGU
>>
>> Alan Price wrote:
>>> I just ordered the Elecraft noise generator.  Does anyone know of a
>>> case for the mini-module?

06:04:00

Re: Case for noise generator

Dave,

If you do make enclosures for the mini-module test devices, your plan
sounds good with the sliding top, but consider making room to mount a
toggle switch on the enclosure - most have a BNC connector on one end
and I would like to have room to mount a switch on the same end the BNC
is located - wire the extra switch in parallel with the normal switch
and no need to open the cover to turn it on.

I would not advocate expansion to any other controls such as the XG2
bandswitch or the pots on the 2T-GEN since they are not used as often as
an on/off switch.

I am only asking for a bit of extra space to mount that optional switch,
not for inclusion of the switch or even a hole to mount it - I have my
own drills and switches.
Yes, it would be nice if these test devices had a cover so they could be
stacked on the bench more neatly.

Dave Van Wallaghen wrote:

> Hi Alan,
>
> I make enclosures for some of the other mini-modules, but have yet to
> come up with enclosures for some of the test bench kit versions. Looking
> at the NGen, it looks like it would be pretty simple. I just came up
> with a way to use a sliding top on the enclosure so that in this case
> you would slide the top back to turn it off and on and also replace the
> battery.
>
> They are made with polycarbonate or acrylic plastic and are clear so you
> can still see the LED (and of course your beautiful assembly work).
>
> I have an NGen that is a couple of years old. If they have not changed
> the design at all, I could try to make one up if you like. I would guess
> a price range of $15 - $18 dollars or so.
>
> Here are examples of the other work I've done on the mini-modules:
> http://w8fgu.home.comcast.net/~w8fgu/enclosures.html
>
> Feel free to contact me off list if your interested.
>
> Take care & 73,
> Dave W8FGU

Re: Case for noise generator

Joe Subich, W4TV-4

> I would not advocate expansion to any other controls such as the
> XG2 bandswitch or the pots on the 2T-GEN since they are not used
> as often as an on/off switch.

I would be interested in a case for the XG2 but it would need at
least a screwdriver hole for the bandswitch and possibly one
to reach the output level (slide) switch.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV

Re: Case for noise generator

Don Wilhelm-4
Joe,

Not required IMHO.  Dave said they would be made with a sliding cover.
It should be easy enough to slide the cover back and access these
controls - IMHO that is easier than providing screwdriver access holes.

Perhaps I am speaking only from my own experience, but I use the XG2 a
lot, and the bandswitch stays on 40 meters and the slide switch stays at
the 50 uV setting almost all the time.  Yes, I am typically adjusting
the CAL S HI setting, and I do that on 40 meters with the preamp off.
The other settings are used but very seldom.

I realize I am not the 'normal' user, and I have an HP8640 on the
workbench too if I need additional levels and frequencies, but the XG2
is just so handy, I can't resist using it.

Now if Elecraft would provide another mini-module - the same high level
xtal oscillator circuit as shown in the K1 and K2 manual troubleshooting
section, that would make a great addition to the set of test instruments
- I use my HP8640 (which goes up to +20 dBm) for that, but most builders
do not have that capability, and an inexpensive high level signal source
would be a real asset.

Joe Subich, W4TV wrote:

>> I would not advocate expansion to any other controls such as the
>> XG2 bandswitch or the pots on the 2T-GEN since they are not used
>> as often as an on/off switch.
>>

> I would be interested in a case for the XG2 but it would need at
> least a screwdriver hole for the bandswitch and possibly one
> to reach the output level (slide) switch.
>
> 73,
>
>    ... Joe, W4TV

Re: Case for noise generator

Joe Planisky
If one has the equipment and skill to drill a 1/2 inch hole in very
thin sheet metal, the XG2 fits perfectly in an Altoids mint box.  Take
the rubber feet off and put an old credit card in the bottom to
prevent the solder joints from shorting to the case.  The top pops
open for easy access to all the controls.

Joe KB8AP

On Aug 21, 2009, at 6:29 PM, Joe Subich, W4TV wrote:

>> I would not advocate expansion to any other controls such as the
>> XG2 bandswitch or the pots on the 2T-GEN since they are not used
>> as often as an on/off switch.
>
> I would be interested in a case for the XG2 but it would need at
> least a screwdriver hole for the bandswitch and possibly one
> to reach the output level (slide) switch.
>
> 73,
>
>   ... Joe, W4TV

Re: Case for noise generator

David Gilbert

To cut a nice hole in almost anything (thin metal, plastic, leather,
cloth, etc), TIGHTLY clamp a piece of smooth plywood or particle board
(say 5/8 inch thick) on both sides of the material and just drill
through the entire sandwich with a sharp drill bit.

73,
Dave   AB7E

Joe Planisky wrote:

> If one has the equipment and skill to drill a 1/2 inch hole in very
> thin sheet metal, the XG2 fits perfectly in an Altoids mint box.  Take
> the rubber feet off and put an old credit card in the bottom to
> prevent the solder joints from shorting to the case.  The top pops
> open for easy access to all the controls.
>
> 73
> --
> Joe KB8AP
>
> On Aug 21, 2009, at 6:29 PM, Joe Subich, W4TV wrote:
>

>>> I would not advocate expansion to any other controls such as the
>>> XG2 bandswitch or the pots on the 2T-GEN since they are not used
>>> as often as an on/off switch.
>>>
>> I would be interested in a case for the XG2 but it would need at
>> least a screwdriver hole for the bandswitch and possibly one
>> to reach the output level (slide) switch.
>>
>> 73,
>>
>>   ... Joe, W4TV

Re: Case for noise generator

M0XDF
Good idea David and one I'll bear in mind, but you can't clamp like
that into an Altoids tin, because it has a rolled lip, come to think
of it, would a 1/2 hole go in the side? Great idea though Joe
73 de M0XDF, K3 #174
--
A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade
they know they shall never sit in. -Greek proverb

On 22 Aug 2009, at 05:25, David Gilbert wrote:

> To cut a nice hole in almost anything (thin metal, plastic, leather,
> cloth, etc), TIGHTLY clamp a piece of smooth plywood or particle board
> (say 5/8 inch thick) on both sides of the material and just drill
> through the entire sandwich with a sharp drill bit.
>
> 73,
> Dave   AB7E

> Joe Planisky wrote:
>> If one has the equipment and skill to drill a 1/2 inch hole in very
>> thin sheet metal, the XG2 fits perfectly in an Altoids mint box.
>> Take
>> the rubber feet off and put an old credit card in the bottom to
>> prevent the solder joints from shorting to the case.  The top pops
>> open for easy access to all the controls.

Re: Case for noise generator

David Gilbert

Actually, you should be able to cut a hole on the end by carefully
carving a relief channel in the wood for the rolled lip.  You'd probably
need to be a bit more careful, though, since the rolled lip isn't solid
inside and the metal would be somewhat more likely to tear there.

By the way, I've never tried it but I suspect you'd be able to cut a
hole in almost any irregular surface by casting the material in
something hard that can be later softened or dissolved ... like drywall
plaster or hard candy.

73,
Dave   AB7E

David Ferrington, M0XDF wrote:
> Good idea David and one I'll bear in mind, but you can't clamp like
> that into an Altoids tin, because it has a rolled lip, come to think
> of it, would a 1/2 hole go in the side? Great idea though Joe
> 73 de M0XDF, K3 #174

Re: Case for noise generator

Phil Salas
"I would be interested in a case for the XG2 but it would need at least a
screwdriver hole for the bandswitch and possibly one
to reach the output level (slide) switch.  73,    ... Joe, W4TV "

Check out the way I enclosed my XG2 in a metal case in the "Equipment
Modifications" section at www.ad5x.com.  Not difficult to do, and all
functionality of the XG2 is readily available.  Includes a band-switch knob,
and the hi/lo output power switch.

Phil - AD5X

Re: Case for noise generator

N2TK
And if someone figures out how to make it or the  XG1 work on 10M I would be
very interested. Tried a 10M fundamental crystal and played a little with
the caps, but no luck so far.  I use 10M to measure coax loss to the tower
on all my buried coax lines.
I changed the crystal to 160M with a XG1, that works well with a whip
antenna for checking receive antennas.

Maybe Elecraft will come  out with an XG6 in a case?

N2TK, Tony

Joe Subich, W4TV wrote:

>> I would not advocate expansion to any other controls such as the
>> XG2 bandswitch or the pots on the 2T-GEN since they are not used
>> as often as an on/off switch.
>>

> I would be interested in a case for the XG2 but it would need at
> least a screwdriver hole for the bandswitch and possibly one
> to reach the output level (slide) switch.
>
> 73,
>
>    ... Joe, W4TV

Re: Case for noise generator

AC7AC