Comparison

William E. Twaddell
Has anyone done or seen a rig comparison of the K2 to the TenTec
Argonaut 516 TCXO?
73
Bill
N2DH

Re: Comparison

KK7P
> Has anyone done or seen a rig comparison of the K2 to the TenTec
> Argonaut 516 TCXO?

ARRL QRP Columnist K8ZT did a comparison of a number of QRP rigs a while
back.

See  <http://www.arrl.org/news/features/2004/09/08/1/>

Lab number comparisons are on the Elecraft website.

See <http://www.elecraft.com/K2_perf.htm>

The radios are *very* different.  Which features are you wishing to see
compared?

72,

Lyle KK7P

RE:Comparison

roncasa
TO THOSE WHO WANT TO COMPARE THE 516 AND THE K2/K1

BOTH THOSE RADIOS ARE VERY DIFFERENT BREED. ITS LIKE COMPARING APPLES TO
ORANGES.

NOW IF YOU COMPARE THE K2 WITH THE ORION, BOTH ARE IN THE SAME FIELD.

GO TO THE ELECRAFT WEBSITE REGARDING COMPARISON ON THE RADIO SPECS ITSELF.

Ron wb1hga   (darn shift key :)

Re: RE:Comparison

Buddy Brannan
I, for one, am glad I have a K2 instead of a Ten-Tec Argonaut, and for
at least one very specific reason. Well, morre than one, but at least
one: Elecraft is committed to making their rigs as accessible to
disabled ops as they can. Ten-Tec, on the other hand, seemed somewhat,
shall we say, less than receptive to suggestions along this line. More
accurately, one engineer there made some positive noises about it, but
no one actually *did* anything about it. Seems to me that Ten-Tec has
the perfect base to start from in this regard with a more-or-less
completely software-defined radio, and some of the changes I suggested
seemed to me that they'd be easy enough to implement, if not entirely
in software, with pretty minimal changes. Nope, they didn't seem to
give a rat's patooty about it. Seems they used to care about these
things, but now...nothin...and I understand I'm not the only one who's
brought these concerns up, either. Elecraft, on the other hand...KX1,
KRC2, always taking and implementing suggestions. Need I say more?
I've had several great dialogues, as have a couple other blind
Elecraft users, with Jack Brindle and Elecraft Wayne, and I always
left them feeling that not only were my suggestions actually listened
to, they were taken seriously. I know that this is really an
over-arching Elecraft philosophy, not just applying to accessibility,
and that means a heck of a lot more to me than *any* lab
numbers--which, BTW, Elecraft rigs also excel. :)

Let's not even talk about the flexibility of the K2 and how it can be
optioned (is that a word?)

I'll tell you this: Elecraft will, so long as they're here, get my
business!

Vy 73,
--
Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV      | Alena Grace's proud papa!
Phone: (814) 455-7333      | Born: 04/06/2000 in Donetsk, Ukraine

RE: Comparison

John [N5BSD]

Re: Comparison

WA2SI

Re: Comparison

Tom Althoff
I sold my Argo V to buy my K2.   When W1AW was transmitting on 160M it would
pulse the AGC as far up as 15-17kHz from 1817.5.   With my K2 I can copy
weak sigs on 1819.0 with no QRM from W1AW.

The Argo V has best freq display of any radio I've ever owned, makes a nice
10M FM radio,  nice general coverage RX.   Sadly Ten-Tec has said that the
Argo is "finished" and that no new software updates are expected.   No new
features.   Nada.

The post here that says the 516 is in a different class from the K2 is
absolutely right.    My K2 holds its own against my Orion but put the Argo V
to shame when the bands were crowded with contesters.

Tom K2TA

> > Has anyone done or seen a rig comparison of the K2 to the TenTec
Argonaut

> > 516 TCXO?
> > 73
> > Bill
> > N2DH
>
> Hi Bill,
>
> I use both and I must say the difference in rcvr performance is hard to
> distinguish by ear alone. I love 'em both but for most, I suspect, it
> probably just comes down to personal preference. I'm sure the K2 cleans
the

> Argo V's clock when it comes to lab numbers tho.
>
> Vy 73 de Bert
> WA2SI
> FISTS #9384
> QRP ARCI #11782

Re: Comparison

W2AGN
On Saturday 25 December 2004 17:51, Tom Althoff wrote:

> The post here that says the 516 is in a different class from the K2 is
> absolutely right.    My K2 holds its own against my Orion but put the Argo
> V to shame when the bands were crowded with contesters.
>
> Tom K2TA

I noted with disappointement the shortcomings of the Argo V receiver. I posted
a subjective (as in how it sounds and works, not lab numbers) comparison on
my web page (http://w2agn.net/argoV.html). I made the mistake of making the
observation on the "contesting.com" TenTec list and was summarily expelled
from the list.

--
John W2AGN
http://w2agn.net

Re: Comparison

Dan Romanchik KB6NU
Maybe someone could convince TenTec to release the firmware as open source,
and allow amateurs to experiment with the radio. Just a thought...

73!

Dan KB6NU
President, ARROW Comm. Assn. (www.w8pgw.org)
ARRL MI Section Affiliated Club Coordinator
CW Geek (FISTS #9342)
Read my ham radio blog at www.blurty.com/~kb6nu

> The Argo V has best freq display of any radio I've ever owned, makes a
nice
> 10M FM radio,  nice general coverage RX.   Sadly Ten-Tec has said that the
> Argo is "finished" and that no new software updates are expected.   No new
> features.   Nada.

RE: FIRMWARE AVAILABILE

roncasa
The information regarding Argonaut V is incorrect.
Ten Tec has just finished another production run of these fine radios. A new
firmware version is available.
Their firmware IS available for programmers to enable radio control from a
pc.
Ron wb1hga

Dan writes:
Maybe someone could convince TenTec to release the firmware as open source,
and allow amateurs to experiment with the radio. Just a thought...

AND:

The Argo V has best freq display of any radio I've ever owned, makes a
nice
10M FM radio,  nice general coverage RX.   Sadly Ten-Tec has said that the
Argo is "finished" and that no new software updates are expected.   No new
features.   Nada.

Re: RE: FIRMWARE AVAILABILE

Tom Althoff
I don't see the new firmware on the official Ten-Tec firmware update site.
Where is it?

As of 5 mins ago the rfsquared website is showing ver 1.07 dated 6/25/2003.

My statement was based upon an e-mail directly from Ten-Tec where they
stated that they consider the Argonaut a finished project, that a lot of
work went into getting the firmware working right and that they were not
going to muck with it to add a software notch filter etc.

If I still have the e-mail I'll foward it to you.

Of course...Ten-Tec is one of those odd-ball companies that instead of
promising you something and never delivering it they swear they'll never
give you someting (PTT CW on Orion,  Mode A keying on the Orion, maybe an
ArgoV firmware upgrade) and suddenly one day you get it. 8-)

I was a member of the firmware beta testers and got to see the official line
of thought.   The company is concerned about locking in firmware ASAP.
They see firmware updates as a sign of weakness in marketing.   "They stll
haven't gotten that radio right yet...look...there's yet another firmware
fix" is what they are afraid people will think.   I think they are wrong.

73 de Tom K2TA