Connecting the KPA500 & KAT500 to another transcever

Connecting the KPA500 & KAT500 to another transcever

Ray G3XLG
I have just got a low power SunSDR2PRO SDR transceiver with a power output of up to 15W.

I want to connect it safely to my KPA500 & KAT500 and so far I've connected the SDR key line to the KAT500 with another separate key line cable from the KAT500 to the KPA500. The drive from the SDR goes to the RF IN socket on the KPA500 & after amplification to the KAT500 RF IN socket & then to a dummy load/antenna.
It all seems to be working OK but I'm unsure whether the KAT500 will be protected if I do a tune with the amp in circuit ie. will the amp be inhibited during the ant tune?
The AUX cables (normally to my K3) are disconnected at the moment.
Any advice please gratefully received
73
Ray G3XLG

Re: Connecting the KPA500 & KAT500 to another transcever

Cady, Fred-2
Hi Ray,
Yes, you should be OK.
I have a short explanation on how the KPA and KXPA tuners work at http://www.ke7x.com/home/k-line-introduction-and-set-up-guide
You are welcome to download it.  It should answers most of your questions.
Cheers and 73,
Fred KE7X

For all KE7X Elecraft books, see www.ke7x.com

I have just got a low power SunSDR2PRO SDR transceiver with a power output of
up to 15W.

I want to connect it safely to my KPA500 & KAT500 and so far I've connected
the SDR key line to the KAT500 with another separate key line cable from the
KAT500 to the KPA500. The drive from the SDR goes to the RF IN socket on the
KPA500 & after amplification to the KAT500 RF IN socket & then to a dummy
load/antenna.
It all seems to be working OK but I'm unsure whether the KAT500 will be
protected if I do a tune with the amp in circuit ie. will the amp be
inhibited during the ant tune?
The AUX cables (normally to my K3) are disconnected at the moment.
Any advice please gratefully received
73

-----
Ray G3XLG