DSP for K2

Millerhill
I have a K2 and recently tested a WMR Clrdsp unit and was very disappointed with the results. I think the unit was defective and I returned it. But I wanted to ask the list what outboard DSP units you might use and whether you think they're worth it or not. I have a hard time forking over $250 for the K2 internal DSP unit.

I have the KAF2 installed and it's very effective, but I'd really like to get rid of some of that QRN that's always present on 40m.

Thanks

Steve

Steve Roberts-W1SFR
Sudbury, VT

Re: DSP for K2

ny4g
Steve

I have a K2 also.  I have a noise reduction speaker made by BHI out of the UK that is very effective in reducing QRN. You can look up the speaker in W4RT.com.

Ariel NY4G

Sent from my iPad

On Aug 9, 2012, at 3:12 PM, "Stephen Roberts" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have a K2 and recently tested a WMR Clrdsp unit and was very disappointed with the results. I think the unit was defective and I returned it. But I wanted to ask the list what outboard DSP units you might use and whether you think they're worth it or not. I have a hard time forking over $250 for the K2 internal DSP unit.
>
> I have the KAF2 installed and it's very effective, but I'd really like to get rid of some of that QRN that's always present

Re: DSP for K2

Kevin Cozens-2
On 12-08-09 03:12 PM, Stephen Roberts wrote:
>  But I wanted to ask the list what outboard DSP units you
> might use and whether you think they're worth it or not.
[snip]
> I have the KAF2 installed and it's very effective, but I'd really like to
> get rid of some of that QRN that's always present on 40m.

I have a KAF2 and it is a nice device to have that has little impact on the
current drain from the batteries. That is important to me because my K2 is
almost always running off it's internal battery.

The only DSP unit I have used with a radio is a JPS NIR-10 outboard DSP unit
which I used with a Yaesu FT-890. With some noise it did such a good job you
had to look at the radio to see if it was still on. With steady tones it
worked a treat. CW would turn in to just clicks and all those people tuning
up on wouldn't be noticed other than by a slight reduction in the level of
the signal you were listening to (due to the IF reacting to the tuner upper).

I found it was worth buying the DSP unit. Having the noise reduced
(substantially on higher bands), makes ragchew or long periods of listening
much more pleasant. During net operations, or while trying to bag that rare
(DX) station you need for the log, multi-notch filtering really helps save
ones ears from the tuner-uppers.

The KDSP2 unit would be handy if you find your operating could benefit from
what it can offer for just the "cost" of a slight increase in current draw.
Being built in to the radio, it will always be there if you go portable. An
external DSP has the advantage of being usable with other radios but would
be complicates things when it comes to having to get power for it during
times of portable operation.

--
Cheers!

Kevin.

http://www.ve3syb.ca/           |"Nerds make the shiny things that distract
Owner of Elecraft K2 #2172      | the mouth-breathers, and that's why we're
                                 | powerful!"
#include <disclaimer/favourite> |             --Chris Hardwick

Re: DSP for K2

andyatd
The MFJ-784B works very well, I much prefer it over my K2's internal DSP.  I picked one up used for $100 and think it well worth the cost new.  It is fully tuneable and the DSP noise reduction allows you to adjust how 'aggressively' it works in addition to noise level.  The auto notch and manual notch work great.

It is well worth reading the manual cover to cover to fully utilize its features.  MFJ did good with this one.

Andy
N3LCW

DSP for K2

Johnny Siu
Hello Andy,

If you don't need a DSP WITHIN the K2, any other outbroad unit should be good enough.  KDSP2 is only at the AF stage and has no filtering in the IF stage.

TNX & 73,

Johnny VR2XMC

 寄件人︰ andyatd <[hidden email]>
收件人︰ [hidden email]