Data A default frequency center

F5LCI
It is *1.50 by default.
As I often use JT65 and no other data mode, how to set it to *1.28 by default ??

72 from FO land

Re: Data A default frequency center

mzilmer
Here's the K3 OM's comment on the PITCH control:

PITCH
CW sidetone PITCH,
PSK center pitch,
FSK / AFSK MARK tone and
shift (pg. 31), or FM tone setup (pg. 29)

For DATA A, the manual doesn't really state how to shift Fc.

Matt Zilmer
Consultant - Product Management Dept.
Magellan Navigation / MiTAC Digital Corp.
Tel: (909) 394-6052
Cell: (909) 730-6552
In status quo voluntas non sufficit

As I often use JT65 and no other data mode, how to set it to *1.28 by default ??

72 from FO land

Re: Data A default frequency center

F5LCI

Thank you,
I had tried PITCH without result for DATA A
I feel less alone...
72

Le Mon, 24 Sep 2012 22:52:28 -0000, Matthew Zilmer
<[hidden email]> a écrit:

> Here's the K3 OM's comment on the PITCH control:
>
> PITCH
> CW sidetone PITCH,
> PSK center pitch,
> FSK / AFSK MARK tone and
> shift (pg. 31), or FM tone setup (pg. 29)
>
> For DATA A, the manual doesn't really state how to shift Fc.
>
> Matt Zilmer
> Consultant - Product Management Dept.
> Magellan Navigation / MiTAC Digital Corp.
> Tel: (909) 394-6052
> Cell: (909) 730-6552
> In status quo voluntas non sufficit

Lyle Johnson
Use SHIFT to change Fc.  The default can;t be changed, but you can use
the I and II selectivity setups.

73,

Lyle KK7P

>> For DATA A, the manual doesn't really state how to shift Fc.

Re: Data A default frequency center

mzilmer
Well, technically, DATA A doesn't need a way to change Fc.  Since the K3 doesn't actually process anything in DATA A, it's all up to whatever external sound you're using.

There was some yammering about allowing a shift of Fc for DATA A, for example to 1.28 KHz, a while ago.  This was for JT65A which has an offset center from the nominal 1.5 KHz used in DATA A.  I don't recall the results of that email thread, because it was several years ago.

No - whatever issues you find, you're not alone on this reflector.

73,

Matt Zilmer
Consultant - Product Management Dept.
Magellan Navigation / MiTAC Digital Corp.
Tel: (909) 394-6052
Cell: (909) 730-6552
In status quo voluntas non sufficit

I had tried PITCH without result for DATA A I feel less alone...
72

Le Mon, 24 Sep 2012 22:52:28 -0000, Matthew Zilmer <[hidden email]> a écrit:

> Here's the K3 OM's comment on the PITCH control:
>
> PITCH
> CW sidetone PITCH,
> PSK center pitch,
> FSK / AFSK MARK tone and
> shift (pg. 31), or FM tone setup (pg. 29)
>
> For DATA A, the manual doesn't really state how to shift Fc.
>
> Matt Zilmer
> Consultant - Product Management Dept.
> Magellan Navigation / MiTAC Digital Corp.
> Tel: (909) 394-6052
> Cell: (909) 730-6552
> In status quo voluntas non sufficit

Joe Subich, W4TV-4

Even with JT65A (JT65-HF) one does not want Fc=1.26.  The JT65 decoder
looks for "sync" tones at 1.26 +/- 1 KHz but since the actual JT65
signal extends up about 250 Hz from the sync tone, the filter should
pass *at least* 250 - 2500 Hz (L0=0.25, HI=2.50 or BW=2.20, FC=1.38).

Since "NOR" in DATA A is FC=1.50, BW=0.40, the easiest way to handle
a different "default" is to save modified values as NORM1 or NORM2
and recall the appropriate one rather than <NOR>.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV

On 9/25/2012 10:56 AM, Matthew Zilmer wrote:

> Well, technically, DATA A doesn't need a way to change Fc.  Since the K3 doesn't actually process anything in DATA A, it's all up to whatever external sound you're using.
>
> There was some yammering about allowing a shift of Fc for DATA A, for example to 1.28 KHz, a while ago.  This was for JT65A which has an offset center from the nominal 1.5 KHz used in DATA A.  I don't recall the results of that email thread, because it was several years ago.
>
> No - whatever issues you find, you're not alone on this reflector.
>
> 73,
>
> Matt Zilmer
> Consultant - Product Management Dept.
> Magellan Navigation / MiTAC Digital Corp.
> Tel: (909) 394-6052
> Cell: (909) 730-6552
> In status quo voluntas non sufficit

Hi Matt,
I agree completely.
Apart from reporting a (too much) "exact" JT65 frequency, a very minimal
advantage of FC 1.28 is that you see the right  "band" and can narrow the
filter ...provided the QSO is on the center of the JT65 waterfall.
(I was feeling alone, only on this topic  !)
Regards & 72 from FO land.

Le Tue, 25 Sep 2012 14:56:30 -0000, Matthew Zilmer
<[hidden email]> a écrit:

> Well, technically, DATA A doesn't need a way to change Fc.  Since the K3
> doesn't actually process anything in DATA A, it's all up to whatever
> external sound you're using.
>
> There was some yammering about allowing a shift of Fc for DATA A, for
> example to 1.28 KHz, a while ago.  This was for JT65A which has an
> offset center from the nominal 1.5 KHz used in DATA A.  I don't recall
> the results of that email thread, because it was several years ago.
>
> No - whatever issues you find, you're not alone on this reflector.
>
> 73,
>
> Matt Zilmer
> Consultant - Product Management Dept.
> Magellan Navigation / MiTAC Digital Corp.
> Tel: (909) 394-6052
> Cell: (909) 730-6552
> In status quo voluntas non sufficit

WB4SON
The suppressed carrier frequency (what the K3 display shows) is actually
what is expected as the ORG used in JT65.  When you observe the Reverse
Beacon, it will list an offset, + or - from that ORG frequency.

That means, in a sense that the 'correct' way to describe a JT65-HF QSO
would be the ORG frequency, and if you wanted more accuracy, an offset to
that ORG.  In other words, no other manipulation of the display frequency
is required.  Any offset applied to the ORG or displayed rig frequency, in
an attempt to more accurately state where the tones really are, would mess
up the users of the Reverse Beacon.

(Now having said that, it is always fun to see the wildly different offsets
listed when a signal is copied by a few dozen stations -- I can always tell
who is running a K3 or other rig with decent master oscillator because the
offset frequencies will be the same within a Hertz or two.)

73, Bob, WB4SON

73, Bob, WB4SON