De soldering station option in G Land

bobatbay
Hi there,
Any Elecraft owners over this side of the 'pond' care to recommend a de
soldering station. I am considering carrying out some mods to my excellent
K2 ... but I am not going to attempt them wothout a reliable de soldering
station

happy new year to all

Bob G4DBW

Re: De soldering station option in G Land

G3VVT
If money is no object, the Weller and Pace desoldering stations are
available in the UK at silly prices new. Occasionally a surplus Weller  desoldering
station may appear at a junk sale at around the £50 mark if you  search long and
hard enough. The ideal tool for our use, the Hakko 808  desoldering gun is no
longer approved for sale in Europe as it does  not have the CE approval mark
unlike other items in the Hakko range.

The only realistic option on the horizon when I approached this problem was
to personally import a Hakko 808, 120VAC 60Hz version from the USA and run  it
from a 230 to 120 VAC 100W capacity or greater step down transformer.  There
may be 230VAC 50Hz versions available from other countries outside Europe,
though I have not located such a source. Possibly a contributor to the list from
 Hong Kong could comment on availability and price as Hakko do market through
 there.

Full spares support is still available for the Hakko 808 from the  Hakko UK
sales agents. You can even buy all the bits to build your own 808  from them,
though I would doubt that you would like the final price!

It is really the best thing since sliced bread for doing rework on the  K2.

Bob, G3VVT
K2 #4168

RE: De soldering station option in G Land

John A. Ross [RSDTV]
Sorry, made the same "reply to" mistake again...

Bob

I can recommend 2 that I have used

1. Pace SX-70, but it will cost you a BIG chunk of change unless you can get
a bargain on Ebay. A new handset will be £200 + without the PSU/Controller,
complete kit £600 approx.
http://www.toolnet.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?ProductID=165
But for desoldering they are hard to beat, well controlled, fast
compensation time and low dT when hit with large copper planes. Very low
risk to lands. Compared to the Weller series (which I still love) they work
very well.

2. Faithful Weller range, DS80x and DS90x are available for very little
these days, some good deals on ebay.

For new this is a nice tool

http://www.cooperhandtools.com/europe/electronics_products/weller/desolderin
g/WDD81V.htm

But again, shop around, a new one is £400 +

Or some alternatives used by some other people I know with good results

http://www.jbctools.com/english/advanced/ds5300.php .

For JBC you can contact, V-TECH, STIRLING, FK7 7XQ, SCOTLAND, 01786 475 016,
[hidden email], www.vtech-smt.co.uk they will look after you well.

This is another one I looked at as it can do hot air for some SMT work also

http://www.rapidelectronics.co.uk/rkmain.asp?PAGEID=80010&CTL_CAT_CODE=30457
&STK_PROD_CODE=M34190&XPAGENO=1

All Best

John

Paul Saville
Bob,

A Soldapullt PT209 desoldering pump can be got from Farnell for less than 10
pounds. The heat comes from your regular soldering iron, and the suck from
the pump. I have had one in use for 25 years and have never found the need
for anything more fancy. You might care to try one out before looking at
more expensive solutions.

73 Paul ZL3IN

> Any Elecraft owners over this side of the 'pond' care to recommend a de
> soldering station. I am considering carrying out some mods to my excellent
> K2 ... but I am not going to attempt them wothout a reliable de soldering
> station
> Bob G4DBW

RE: De soldering station option in G Land

Ron D'Eau Claire-2
Paul, ZL3IN wrote:
A Soldapullt PT209 desoldering pump can be got from Farnell for less than 10
pounds. The heat comes from your regular soldering iron, and the suck from
the pump. I have had one in use for 25 years and have never found the need
for anything more fancy. You might care to try one out before looking at
more expensive solutions.
-----------------------------------

I agree wholeheartedly. Most times, I pull the part off of the board
(cutting leads if it isn't easy to remove otherwise). Then I put the
soldapullt pump against the pad on one side of the board, touch the iron to
the pad on the other side until I see the solder melt, press the trigger and
"Whack!" there's a factory-fresh clean pad ready for the new part in an
instant.

Ron AC7AC

RE: De soldering station option in G Land

John A. Ross [RSDTV]
Bob

Could be good deal, these are not so hard to repair and spares are cheap.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1502&item=386393512
4&rd=1

I just seen it so I hope you get it on time

John