Dummy load for KPA3?

Jim AB3CV
I'm considering adding the amp to my k3/10. I see a 50w dummy load is reqd
for setup. Any recommendations? Should I get a 100w one instead?

Build vs buy?

73

jim ab3cv

Re: Dummy load for KPA3?

Bob-2
I'd buy this:

https://www.ridgeequipment.com/store/dummyloads.html

75 watts and $12.   I've been happy with mine bought a couple of years ago.

73,
Bob
K2TK  ex KN2TKR (1956) & K2TKR

On 2/7/2012 10:11 AM, Jim Miller wrote:
> I'm considering adding the amp to my k3/10. I see a 50w dummy load is reqd
> for setup. Any recommendations? Should I get a 100w one instead?
>
> Build vs buy?
>
> 73
>
> jim ab3cv

Re: Dummy load for KPA3?

Dick Dievendorff
I have acquired a number of dummy loads over the years.

A lot depends on your ultimate needs.  If you buy the minimum now, you might
end up buying something larger later.

For the purposes of K3/100 Tx Gain Calibration, you'll need a dummy load
that can dissipate 50 watts for short periods.  Tx Gain calibration holds
the key down on each of 6 frequencies at the 5 and 50 watt power levels for
about 4-10 seconds at a time.

If you're careful, that can be handled by something as small as an MFJ-261
that is rated for 30 watts or 100 watts "peak".  I burned mine up while
testing Tx Gain Calibration when I stepped through the code with a debugger
and left the transmitter on for too long.  I didn't replace it. It's a very
convenient size.

I recently bought a pair of 75 watt dummy loads from Ridge Equipment. I'm
using them for an antenna tuner project where I want the load to be really
just resistive on all interesting frequencies. They come with N connectors,
so you might need an SO-239 adapter that Ridge Equipment also sells.  I like
these very much.  They are "like new", and present an SWR < 1.02 up to about
700 MHz.  At 3 GHz they get all the way up to 1.12.
https://www.ridgeequipment.com/store/dummyloads.html

If you eventually expect to use an amplifier, perhaps a higher power dummy
load would be a good investment.

A "dry" dummy load like an AEA-1500 or Palstar DL-1500 can handle 100 watts
for extended periods (10 minutes or so) or 1500 watts for a few (10)
seconds.

If you need to support key down at full 1500 watt power for a few minutes,
you might want a can filled with mineral oil, such as the old Heath Cantenna
or Ameritron ADL-2500 or MFJ -2500.

If you're testing high power amplifiers for extended periods, you might need
to invest in something with a fan, such as the Palstar DL2K, DL5K, Ameritron
ADL-2500 or MFJ-265.  The high end of these is the Alpha 2100, which
reportedly handles 1500 watts indefinitely.  It is what RF Concepts calls a
"legacy" product, however.

I normally think of a dummy load as something I'd use primarily in testing
and calibration, but I've recently thought of a good use for it in a contest
multi-radio antenna switching project when I need an "antenna" to switch an
exciter to during band transitions.  I don't want to leave the antenna
connection open or shorted while I switch a radio to a band where another
nearby radio could be transmitting, so a low power dummy load is just a
perfect "antenna" for this. The receiver is somewhat protected from "same
band" transmitters, and if the exciter is keyed it won't see a load that
exercises the transceiver's protection circuitry.

73 de Dick, K6KR

Re: Dummy load for KPA3?

That Ridge Equipment dummy load is very good - I would recommend it
highly for any measurement or calibration work.  I would not exceed 75
watts with it.
If you want a dummy load to leave connected to your K3 when not in use
and general all-around the shack work, you might want to consider
building one in a quart paint filled with mineral oil - see:
http://www.k4eaa.com/dummy.html - I have two similar dummy loads here in
quart cans and a larger one in a gallon can that have served well for
many, many years.

On 2/7/2012 11:17 AM, Bob wrote:

> I'd buy this:
>
> https://www.ridgeequipment.com/store/dummyloads.html
>
> 75 watts and $12.   I've been happy with mine bought a couple of years ago.
>
> 73,
> Bob
> K2TK  ex KN2TKR (1956)&  K2TKR
>

> On 2/7/2012 10:11 AM, Jim Miller wrote:
>> I'm considering adding the amp to my k3/10. I see a 50w dummy load is reqd
>> for setup. Any recommendations? Should I get a 100w one instead?
>>
>> Build vs buy?
>>
>> 73
>>
>> jim ab3cv

Re: Dummy load for KPA3?

Jim AB3CV
thanks all. went with the ridge eqp suggestion.

73

jim ab3cv