ECN/30 - Thursday this week

Daniel Reynolds-2
Thanks to all who were ready to check in last week. I apologize for having to
back out at the last minute, but something urgent came up (radio is important
to me... but it's still just a hobby).

I'm going to try to run ECN/30 on Thursdays on 10115 +/- 2. The early net will
start around 6 PM Central Time (0000 UTC Friday). For those who aren't able to
make it at that time, I will run a 2nd edition of the net around 8 PM Central
Time (0200 UTC). Propagation will probably start shutting down around 9 PM
(0300z).

This week, starting out, I'll try to keep the code speed around 8 wpm for those
who are a little rusty. I ask that you do the same for others checking in so
that we don't leave anyone in the dust. Each week, I'll try to bump it up 1
wpm/week - but we won't exceed 17 wpm... instead, we'll start back at 8 wpm the
following week.

This will be a semi-formal net, and I hope I'm not overdoing it... can't make
everyone happy here ... but here's some tips to help us get started. Just like
every Novice had to learn a few basic Q-signals (QTH, QRM, QRN, QSB, and
QRS)...  we'll need to keep a few more in mind to help things run smoothly.

=====

The first priority on my agenda will be to get everyone checked in (QNI) who
wants to check in.

When you check in, all I need is your callsign, name, and SPC
(state/province/country) ... e.g. AA0NI DE K3LY QNI BOB PA K. If all you want
to do is check in, and check out... be sure to also mention that you are QRU
(you have nothing to share) and QRT (e.g. AA0NI DE K3LY QNI BOB PA QRU QRT K).
That way I'll be sure to count you as a check-in, but won't include you on our
roster for exchanging Elecraft SN.

If we all keep it short and sweet, we will quickly move on to the fun part...

After we've got everyone on board, I'll announce the stations on the roster
listed in the order that they checked in (e.g. QNS K3LY W5AB N7TKA ... ) then
I'll start at the top of the list (e.g. K3LY DE AA0NI QTC? K), and let everyone
get a chance to call at least one other check-in and exchange your info (Name,
SPC, RST, Rig, Power, Elecraft SN - e.g. K3LY DE AA0NI DAN OK 559 K2 5W 3421
K). After the first time through the list (assuming it is short), I'll look for
more QNI and start back up at the top. I'll also try to call for QNI every
15-20 minutes.

If I need you to relay, or if you are relaying for someone, signify that with
QSP (e.g. AA0NI DE K3LY QSP QNI AA4YD). I'll probably respond to have you get
info and relay it back (e.g. K3LY DE AA0NI PSE QSP AA4YD K), or maybe I'll ask
you to look for QNI (K3LY DE AA0NI PSE QSP ANY QNI K), and you can call CQ ECN
QNI DE ... K.

After you have my attention, if you want to check out, just let me know by
sending QNX or QRT. I'll announce to the net that you left (e.g. QNO K3LY).

Anytime you are checked in, and need to get my attention, just send the last
1-2 letters in your call. Then when I recognize you (by repeating your 1-2
letters), just identify (DE K3LY) and let us know what you've got (e.g. QSP, or
QNX/QRT).

If you want to contact another station on your turn, signify by sending QTC
followed by that stations callsign (e.g. QTC W5AB W5AB DE K3LY K3LY K). If you
signify QTC ANY - then we'll let everyone have a chance to call YOU, and you
can work one station. If either station has trouble working the other after 3
tries each, we'll move on to the next station on the list. If you copied
everything correctly, send "QSL" so we know we can move on to the next station.

When there are no more QNI or QTC, then I'll sign QNF (frequency is free) and I
will go QRT.

=====

I hope this doesn't complicate matters - and I really hope that this will be a
blast for those who are looking for Elecraft Numbers. I'm already excited
thinking about it.

Looking forward to your check-ins...

- Daniel / AA0NI
Oklahoma City